PDA

View Full Version : Gun oil?

TonyM
10-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Anyone ever tried using ATF instead of the expensive oils out there? It seems like it would work just as good if not better at floating dirt... but also withstand heat better, considering its primary application?

Also...3$ for a quart vs 5-7$ for 6-10 oz's....

Any thoughts?

waksupi
10-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Should be fine, Tony. It's one of the ingredients in Ed's Red. I believe someone said it was made as a substitute for whale oil.

StrawHat
10-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally whale oil was used for transmission fluid. ATF could be thought of as a synthetic whale oil.

sqlbullet
10-12-2010, 10:27 AM
This article (http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html) certainly provides some well reasoned arguments for ATF.

The only thing he recommends over it is Lubriplate's FMO-AW oil in 350-AW weight. This is a food grade oil for use in dishwashers and other industrial food equipment. It's benefit is for a carry gun, since having ATF against your skin is less than ideal. However, getting some is problematic apparently.

TonyM
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
After a bit of searching... it looks like it is pretty standard practice (Using automobile lubricants on guns).

http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Technical data... although for Mobil1 synth...
http://www.democraticunderground.com...dress=271x1301

A very interesting read regarding motor oils/ATF for guns...
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=211385

Moonie
10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I use 2 parts ATF, 1 part 20-50 Synthetic motor oil and 1 part STP. Very thick and doesn't migrate. For a lighter oil I wouldn't hesitate to use ATF.

TonyM
10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Anyone ever done this?

http://blackicecoatings.com/teflon-coating.html

Shiloh
10-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I have a small bottle of ATF thinned with a bit of kerosene as a gun lube. I also use Ed's Red as my primary gun cleaner. That is were the idea of thinned ATF came from. Sperm whale oil was used in transmission fluid. Lanolin was used as well to keep trasnmission seals pliable and to keep from drying out.

Shiloh

izzyjoe
10-12-2010, 10:48 PM
a guy i worked with years ago told me to use marvels mystery oil, so i got a quart of it ,and i've been using it for 20yrs. and it will probally last another 20yrs. i transfered it to a smaller bottle with pointed tip. but it works as good or better than anything i've ever used. it could be thined with kerosene, but i never seen the need to.

Char-Gar
10-12-2010, 11:36 PM
There are lots of lubricants that can be used for firearms lubrication. I use Mobil Velocite #10 Spindle oil for general lubrication and Mobile Vactra 2 Way oil for semi-auto rails and other places where a light oil might run off.

fecmech
10-13-2010, 11:58 AM
There was a really lengthy discussion sometime back on the High Road on Mobil 1 use for guns with some pretty knowledgeable people contributing. They certainly convinced me. I am a lazy shooter who does not like gun cleaning. I shoot a Beretta 390 Auto shotgun in sporting clays every week in the Buffalo NY area and my gun is lubed with Mobil 1 0W-20W. The gun lives in a soft case in the trunk of my car winter and summer and gets taken out to shoot on the weekend. I generally shoot a round of Clays a week (50-55 shots) and put the gun back in the trunk. The gun gets cleaned once a year and I have no feed or ejection problems in between cleanings. I add a drop or two of oil into the action on the operating rods periodically and that's it. A $6 quart of Mobil 1 goes a long way!

220swiftfn
10-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, yes, yes.... Dexron ATF is all I use for oil anymore. For grease, try lubriplate 105 (Napa auto parts 10 oz. for @ $5 )

Sqlbullet- Isn't the food grade stuff a whitish color?? Probably better than staining all you cover clothes red.....

Dan

TonyM
10-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Are people using grease on AR's? The bolt slides in the reciever somewhat the way a slide slides on a SA pistol... and are they using grease for those... I never have, nor have I had an issue with not doing so I guess..???

I am just tired of paying bukku bucks on 5 ozs of lube, when it seems I could be paying pennies in comparrison using some of the automobile lubes out there...

220swiftfn
10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Tony- for m-1 and m-1a bolts the mil-spec is lubriplate 130. The easiest way to increase profits on a product is to market it for a specific need......

Dan

Buckshot
10-17-2010, 01:23 AM
................I use Mobil Vactra #2 way oil. It has takifiers (sticky) and is formulated to be used between heavily loaded sliding parts. Costs $14 a gallon.

...............Buckshot

Bill*
10-17-2010, 10:24 PM
................I use Mobil Vactra #2 way oil. It has takifiers (sticky) and is formulated to be used between heavily loaded sliding parts. Costs $14 a gallon.

...............Buckshot
How does that compare (in tackiness) to chainsaw bar oil? Are they similar?

Buckshot
10-18-2010, 03:02 AM
How does that compare (in tackiness) to chainsaw bar oil? Are they similar?

..............Bill, bar and chain oil would probably have 10X whatever it is that makes it 'stick'. It'd have to on a chainsaw! That Mobil Vactra way oil is meant to remain on "V" ways as the saddle and tailstock slides back and forth along the bed, and they do it at a MUCH more sedate speed then a chainsaw chain around it's bar!.

.............Buckshot

c3d4b2
10-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Are people using grease on AR's? The bolt slides in the reciever somewhat the way a slide slides on a SA pistol... and are they using grease for those... I never have, nor have I had an issue with not doing so I guess..???

I am just tired of paying bukku bucks on 5 ozs of lube, when it seems I could be paying pennies in comparrison using some of the automobile lubes out there...

I have used bolt grease on my AR with no problems, however other people have had trouble. I have switched to using Phil Wood Tenacious Oil after reading the following.

Phil Wood Tenacious Oil is definitely a good product for AR-15's (one of the best I have ever found). It is akin to a 90 wt sticky gear oil and that makes it ideal for bolt lugs and moving AR parts that are in the "severe duty" category. I recommend it on the info page on our website in the section on AR-15 lubrication:

http://www.6mmar.com/Info_Page.html

Many people use improper lubricants on AR-15's and it is obvious when you get uppers back for re-barreling or service work and you see the severe wear on parts (major opening up of head space due to excessive bolt lug wear, wear on the stem on the back of the bolt, etc.). Most so called gun lubricants are akin to 3 in 1 oil (thin oils and not high viscosity) ok for basic lubrication of odds and ends but are not appropriate for AR moving parts that fall into the "severe duty" category and need the protection of a heavier severe duty lubricant with very high viscosity. Phil Wood Tenacious Oil fits the bill well here, it's easy to get at bike shops or on the internet, not expensive and comes in an bottle that is ideal for application to AR-15 parts.

Robert Whitley

Robert Whitley builds 6mm Ar rifles http://www.6mmar.com/

I use the wood oil sparingly. It seems to stay where you put it. I will lube and work the bolt back and forth. If the contact point are not covered I add some more oil.

MtGun44
10-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Still working on my first quart of Castrol synthetic auto oil for general gun lube chores.
I use synthetic aircraft grease for semiauto rails on CCW guns where I don't want it migrating
in body heat and where it will not get cleaned a lubed often.

Bill

Depreacher
10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Hello,

Some of we Gun afficiondos have Cancer problems, or a family history of a certain type of cancer which we live in dread of. My familys problem is Lymphoma, which I have survived twice (just barely survived the second go around). Most lubricating Oils, and especially solvents are some of the things we need to stay away from. I don't get near sacred 'ol Hoppes no. 9.

I read an article in a gun mag where the author used 4 types of gun oil to coat 4 pieces of 4140 steel exposed to a salt water environment. A product named Ballistol won out. I ordered a 16 oz. bottle from Brownells for $6.50 (my wholesale cost) and was pleased to find out it is non-carcinogenic and even bio-degradable. No, you can't drink it!!! It has the consistency of FP-10 Shooters choice, and seems to do a good job on my AR. It also states that it removes traces of copper, lead, brass, and zinc. For locking lugs, and other high wear spots (hammer cocking ramp). I put on nitrile gloves, and use Phil wood Bicycle grease. Hey, it works for me!!!!! BTW, Don't put off Being BORN AGAIN until you "get my life straightened out". That'll never happen. GET SAVED!!! The LORD will straighten it out. NOW, is the day of salvation. GOD Bless:-D

redneckdan
10-25-2010, 12:41 PM
I use grease on my 1911 when I anticipate shooting several hundred rounds during a range session. I also used grease when I shot ARs. Greasing the living hell out of the action spring gets rid of the screen door sprooiiingggg sound of the action cycling. Most other times I use the dribs and drabs from oil containers after doing an oil change, usually some type of Mobil 1. I just set the container upside down over a collection dish and come back a couple days later after everything has drained out and add it to my gun lubing bottle.

EMC45
10-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Hello,

Some of we Gun afficiondos have Cancer problems, or a family history of a certain type of cancer which we live in dread of. My familys problem is Lymphoma, which I have survived twice (just barely survived the second go around). Most lubricating Oils, and especially solvents are some of the things we need to stay away from. I don't get near sacred 'ol Hoppes no. 9.

I read an article in a gun mag where the author used 4 types of gun oil to coat 4 pieces of 4140 steel exposed to a salt water environment. A product named Ballistol won out. I ordered a 16 oz. bottle from Brownells for $6.50 (my wholesale cost) and was pleased to find out it is non-carcinogenic and even bio-degradable. No, you can't drink it!!! It has the consistency of FP-10 Shooters choice, and seems to do a good job on my AR. It also states that it removes traces of copper, lead, brass, and zinc. For locking lugs, and other high wear spots (hammer cocking ramp). I put on nitrile gloves, and use Phil wood Bicycle grease. Hey, it works for me!!!!! BTW, Don't put off Being BORN AGAIN until you "get my life straightened out". That'll never happen. GET SAVED!!! The LORD will straighten it out. NOW, is the day of salvation. GOD Bless:-D

Awesome Castboolitpreacher! Indeed today is the day!