PDA

View Full Version : Experiment with super hard-cast bullets....

Harry O
10-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I have a couple of Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbines in 9.5x57 MS caliber. The cost for jacketed bullets is 50 cents to $1 per bullet. I tried several .375"-.378" cast bullets and the only one that I found that would feed was a Lyman 375167. Unfortunately, it is a plain-base bullet.

I tried some of the 375167 that were cast at Bhn 18. They lost accuracy between 1,500 to 1,600fps. Visible leading did not happen until 200 to 300fps more, but by then, accuracy was downright bad. Not good enough to continue. In the distant past, I cast some 30cal bullets from straight monotype. Unfortunately, they broke while crimping them. It was a brittle break straight across where the crimp was. In fact, they would occasionally break apart when dropped off the workbench onto a concrete floor.

Since then, I have been experimenting with 30cal. It appears that everything I tried was pointing toward having as much tin in the mix as there was antimony to keep it from shattering. I have done that with lower Bhn mixes and it worked well enough. So I decided to go all out and try straight monotype, dropped in water, with just enough tin added to match the amount of antimony.

I cast up about 150 bullets today. About two hours after quenching, I tested one at about Bhn 30-32. I sized and lubed them immediately after casting so most of the hardening has not taken place yet. I will be testing them again tomorrow and a few times more for the next few weeks. It will be interesting to see (and graph) the hardening curve. They passed the drop off the bench test. Then I put one in a vice to crush it. It expanded rather than shattered and crumbled apart like the straight monotype ones did. Although my "rule of thumb" is crude (using as much tin as antimony), it appears it works well enough, even with straight monotype.

I will be loading them and trying them out at the range after they have hardened up. I have used XMP5744 for cast loads with this gun in the past. It works well in reduced loads, but it does not completely burn, even at higher than BP pressures. I am thinking of trying IMR4831 this time. A fairly full case of that stuff should give somewhat reduced loads, but fill the case. I am thinking it will be a safe reduced load. I will consider any other suggestions.

I will update this after firing.

StrawHat
10-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Harry O,

Sounds like it might work. A different approach would be paper patching. A lot more work but if you get the reults you want, it might be worth it.

Good luck!

Harry O
10-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Tested the bullet again after 2-1/2 days. It is up to Bhn 35-37 now.

45 2.1
10-14-2010, 03:22 PM
When you get done, put a freecheck on a softer boolit (one about 8 to 12 BHN) and try it out. Freechecks have allowed up to 2000 fps without little or no leading provided your alloy is right.

Harry O
10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
When you get done, put a freecheck on a softer boolit (one about 8 to 12 BHN) and try it out. Freechecks have allowed up to 2000 fps without little or no leading provided your alloy is right.

How does a freecheck work on a bullet that is not cut for a gascheck? It is also not beveled. The bullet has a full diameter square corner on the base.

45 2.1
10-15-2010, 07:42 AM
How does a freecheck work on a bullet that is not cut for a gascheck? It is also not beveled. The bullet has a full diameter square corner on the base.

Freechecks are swaged on in sizing the boolit. That can happen a couple of ways. Someone used to make dies to produce these. Pat Marlin on this site is currently working on dies for this. You can do this by altering the top of a Lyman H&I sizing die also. Lots of info in the archives here. I've shot thousands just like I told you.

Harry O
10-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Latest update:

It has been one week since the bullets were cast. The latest test is Bhn 37-39. I loaded up a bunch to take to the indoor range this morning. Three cartridges each at 38.0gr, 42.0gr, 45.0gr, 46.0gr, 47.0gr, and 48.0gr of IMR4831. I stopped at 48.0gr because that fills the case to the bottom of the bullet without compression.

The indoor range is limited to 25 yards. I was standing while resting my elbows on the crosspiece. The sights were a white bead on the front and a "swinging" Lyman 36 peepsight on the rear.

The 38.0gr load gave poor accuracy at 2-1/4" for the three shots. The 42.0gr load was about a half inch better. The 45.0gr load gave three shots in 3/8". It was the best group I shot today. The 46.0gr load was larger, the 47.0gr load even larger, and the 48.0gr load was the largest of all. I checked the barrel with a borelight after each string of three and did not see any leading. When I got home to clean the gun, I also did not find any leading.

The next step is to load up some 5-shot groups in smaller increments between 42.0gr and 46.0gr. After I decide on an accurate load, I will try to get to the outdoor range so I can test the velocity. Based on felt recoil, these will be slower than the 270gr jacketed Hornady load with 46.0gr of IMR4064. (BTW, the Lyman 375167 is only 245gr when cast with this much antimony and tin), I still think it should be in the 1,800 to 1,900fps range, though. That is good enough for plinking.

Larry Gibson
10-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Have you tried the 375296? It has a small meplat and almost the same ogive as 375167 so it may feed fine. It also is a nominal 265 gr GC'd bullet which would alleviate the need for the hard casting and should give cast bullet potential equal to jacketed bullets of the same weight. Cast soft with a 1/8" Forster HP should make it a very, very nice hunting bullets at 1900 -2000+ fps.

Larry Gibson

Harry O
10-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Have you tried the 375296? It has a small meplat and almost the same ogive as 375167 so it may feed fine.
Larry Gibson

I have not tried that one, but looking at it in CASTPICS, I doubt that it would work. I have to seat the 375167 out far enough so that I crimp in the forward lube groove. The actual crimping groove is way forward of where I crimp it. Crimping it into the crimp groove Lyman intended would usually feed, but not always. Crimping it in the forward position matched the profile and length of factory loads and I have never had a problem with it feeding this way.

I originally tried several with many lube grooves meant to be set deeply into a case (such as the 38-55). They were a Lyman 375248, a Lyman 375449, and a Lee 250gr bullet. The multiple lube grooves acted like saw teeth and caught the feed ramp, requiring jockying it back and forth to get it into the chamber.

Harry O
10-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Update again:

Its been two weeks since I cast the super hard bullets. A hardness test today was just about the same as last week. They are still Bhn 37-39.

I took a bunch of loads to the indoor range again today (still 25yds max). It looks like 44.5gr, 45.0gr, and 45.5gr of IMR4831 are all about the same size and smaller than higher or lower loads. I will probably stay with 45.0gr.

Soon as I can get to the outdoor range, I will try them at longer ranges and check the velocity. It looks like this will work. The mix is a little over 15% antimony and a little under 16% tin. The rest is lead. Without that much tin, I had problems with bullets made out of monotype cracking and breaking with ordinary handling and crimping. With the extra tin, they don't break with handling. I will try to recover one when I get to the outdoor range. Also, instead of 267gr weight (listed by Lyman), they run between 244gr and 245gr.

looseprojectile
11-08-2010, 11:29 PM
If you would like to use softer boolits check this out.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=96910

Life is good

Harry O
11-14-2010, 09:08 PM
looseprojectile: Thanks for the information. I will have to see if I can do something like that with what I have on hand.

Harry O
11-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Nearly 6 weeks since the bullets were cast. The latest hardness test is no different from the last two. Approx. Bhn 37-39. Looks like it hit its peak in a little over a week. That is faster than I expected, but with this has a lot higher percentages of tin and antimony than any of the experiments on hardness that I have read about. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I hope to get to the outdoor range over the Thanksgiving weekend to try accuracy at longer ranges and to get velocities. I have a bunch of cartridges already loaded with 45.0gr of 4831 with the 245gr Lyman 375167. Its looking like this might work.