PDA

View Full Version : Gun Box Ideas ?

Papa Jack
10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I need to make up 4 wooden ( Or ???) boxes to hold each one of my Handi-Rifles. I 'd like to make these so I can store the scoped barrels in the bottom and have a tray (foot locker style) in the top for the receiver and cleaning and ammo storage.
I was wondering if you guys have any pictures of ones you have made or ideads you could share.
I have 4 grandsons, I wanted to leave em each a rifle complete with barrels and cleaning kits...
I was going to use ply wood, but I am open to ideas...

Thank's Guys !! "Papa Jack"

shaggist
10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
What about the wooden crates artillery rounds used to be packed in. I used to see them all the time at the surplus store. You could make a tray insert to fit. I believe they would have enough room if the gun is dismantled.

dragonrider
10-11-2010, 03:21 PM
A project like this deserves better than plywood, White Oak would be my choice. Finger joints, leather handles, oil finish.

Papa Jack
10-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I better tell you guys I am a big time wood butcher.... I do have a table saw, a radial arm saw a router, drill press, lots of tools.....But every time I try t o make somethin from wood.....well, eventually it ends up in the stove.

I like the ideas, I'll have to draw something up, see what I can do.
White OaK....I'LL Check it out next time I'm at the lumber yard.
Arty Boxes...Boy, we made EVERYTHING out of those and Rocket boxes in NAM....We don't have a decent surplus store around here for miles.....
I thought about just measuring up the barrels and receivers and taking the dims. to a local guy that likes to do wood projects and have him build me 4 boxes and trays.
I need to build a box for my old hand saws too while I'm at it....
Thank's Guys !! Papa Jack

RP
10-11-2010, 09:36 PM
All those tools and you cant make anything but firewood, find a guy that can lend him the tools for the rest of your life and have him make you stuff for payment. Just a thought then you can have more room for gun stuff, sound like a plan? Got the ideal from my dad one day I came home and my new shop was full of all his wood working stuff. He told me I was the only one of the kids that could use them and I had all that free space he just come over when he wanted to build something. Real reason he was not into woodworking anymore and was into his motorcycle and wanted room in his garage for it.

Papa Jack
10-12-2010, 02:42 AM
I have a 30X60 shop, so full of tools and junk it's a shame. Hardly any room to work, I have to move stuff for an hour before I can nose a car in the door to change oil !
I know, I'm pathetic..LOL
Seriously, someday I'll get started on this project, I can build it, just never looks real professional when I get done.
Maybe I'll just buy 4 cedar chests and put a bottom divider in them to hold the barrels ,build a tray for the top, done deal.....and, it would smell good ! LOL
Thank's for the inspiration !! "PJ"

RP
10-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I cant say much about room in the shop I have a 24X24 shop full and a 24X50 shop full and a 32x36 shelter full and stuff hid behind them not counting the lean too on the side of one. Can I pull a car in one NO. Can I play a game of Pool NO can I find something in a hurry NO. Sir I would not say your pathetic I say you need more room like me. As far as the wood working you sound like me if its not just right you dont want it But I have found the mistake that screams out to me others have to be shown. Besides if you make it for them down the road they show someone the gun and I bet with a smile on their face they say Jack made the box for it to. To me stuff my dad made may not be worth anything to someone else but money cant buy it while iam alive.

garandsrus
10-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Papa Jack,

You probably want to size the box so that one complete rifle fits inside, plus whatever else you want. It's pretty common for Handi Rifles to change POI when changing a barrel, even with the scope attached so it would be nice to leave one together.

John

Artful
10-13-2010, 01:50 PM
some ideas

http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/toolbox.html

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=43467&hilit=case&start=25