PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Caps for the Ruger 10/22

Mark
10-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I am thinking about getting a Ruger 10/22. I am a NY resident and I have no clue how to identify pre-ban hi-cap mags for the 10/22. I have seen sellers at local gunshows say that they are selling pre-ban Butler creek Hot-Lips mags but I am not sure how to identify them. Can someone point me to some pictures? Does/ Did anyone else make pre-ban hi-cap mags for the 10/22?
Thanks,
Mark

onondaga
10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi, I'm a Western New Yorker near Niagara Falls. That law fizzled out or else the gun-shops just ignore it around here. Anyway, you won't find a lot of glowing reviews for high capacity magazines for the 10-22. If you gotta have them, I'd just buy them when you see them. Hi cap mags are not specifically mentioned for 22's in this year NY Hunting guide as not legal . I bought 5 of the clear 10 round magazines made by Ruger and they function very well. When hunting I keep 4 of them in 2 of those double pistol speed loader belt pouches on my belt. They open in a flash and I can slam another clip in in 2 seconds. The 25 round steel Hotlips function mediocre too poor and the plastic lipped ones just fry. Ruger brand clear mags are on sale this month at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=923628

Pouch:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=656641

docone31
10-11-2010, 03:28 PM
You are gonna be better off with the Stock Ruger clips.
I have a couple of the Hi-Cap Mags, and they do not see much use. The Stock Rugers are pretty reliable.

Jeffrey
10-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I use high cap magazines exclusively for pest control around the chicken yard. Chasing coons and foxes I cannot afford to hear a CLICK when I'm lined up on a coon's head when I should hear POW SMACK THUMP.
The Butler Creek single stack mags with their higher density(?) lips seem to work better than the Ram Line staggered stack mags I used to use. I have not used Ruger mags since I got the gun.
Jeffrey

higgins
10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I frequently empty the trash cans at my club ranges. I don't own a 10/22, but over this past summer I found 3 high capacity 10/22 mags in the trash cans; two Ramlines and another brand I don't recall. They seemed to be in decent, undamaged condition-the ammo just gets out of line and jams the magazine. Between the three of them I recovered about 45 rds. of .22lr. Based on my experience with after-market hi-cap magazines in general in other rifles (in addition to my trash can finds of 10/22 and AR15 mags), if I had a 10/22 I would use extra Ruger mags- you need to have a spare or three for an autoloader anyway.

HeavyMetal
10-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Years ago I bought a 50 round drum mag for my first 10-22.

Found out it was a touch ammo sensitive and, to make matters worse, it like expensive ammo to boot.

It liked CCI stingers a lot! I could load 50 rounds and never hav a failure to feed or fire!

The 10 round stock mags didn't seem to have an issue with ammo but I learned the bigger the mag the more sensitive it got to what you pt in it.

I still have that mag, around here some place, and if I had a need for that kind of fire power it would get filled and be good to go.

As far as pre ban versus post ban mags? I don't think anyone can tell the difference with out having the sales reciept glued to the original mag when it was purchased.

Since that is a rare deed I think enforcement would be hard pressed to make a case on just a hi cap presence.

As far as a mag that works? The inline have way to much tension on a full stack to work right which is why they fail.. The drum mag, mine looks like a thompson drum, has a spring and a belt that segragates each round much like a linked M60 or Ma 2 belt feed.

Look for one of those and skip the inline mags.

sargenv
10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
The ram lines were very unreliable, the butler creek ones were very good and I still have one from the mid 90's when they were available in my state.. and it still chugs along just fine.

Mark
10-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.
Mark

82nd airborne
10-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Tactical innovations TI25 is a very good 25rd mag for the 10/22. It is about 40 bucks but adjustable for tension, feed lip angle, and something else that I cant remember right now.

Shiloh
10-15-2010, 08:40 PM
You are gonna be better off with the Stock Ruger clips.
I have a couple of the Hi-Cap Mags, and they do not see much use. The Stock Rugers are pretty reliable.

I second this. I have had mixed results with the high capacity magazines, and have three different kinds.

Stick with the factory mags. Get one of these if you need a lot of rounds in a hurry

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/trimag.html

Shiloh

WILCO
10-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Get one of these if you need a lot of rounds in a hurry...

That is sweet!

JIMinPHX
10-16-2010, 09:49 PM
It's been 20 years since I fooled with hi-cap mags for a 10-22, but back then the ones with metal feed lips were the only ones that worked for me. The rest were junk.

Loading those big mags was a bit of a pain. Ram Line used to make a loading machine, but it was junk too.

I've been using the factory 10 round mags with good results for over 20 years now.

geargnasher
10-17-2010, 08:33 PM
I had several different brands of 30-rounders back in the late '80s, sold them all with my first 10-22 (really stupid move), I remember the only ones that worked were made by Eagle. I don't ever recall, through brick after brick of Walmart Federal ammo, ever having had a magazine failure, although there were always one of two duds in a brick.

When I woke up from college, the Brady Ban was in full effect and I was outraged to find I couldn't get them new anymore. When that ban was lifted, Eagle magazines became available again and I grabbed up four of them from either Cheaper Than Dirt or Sportsman's Guide, can't remember which. They work, just plain work, even with super-cheap bulk ammo. The plastic feed lips do get worn, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. If you can find some of these, I'd recommend trying them out.

Gear

Artful
10-18-2010, 02:17 AM
Tactical innovations TI25 is a very good 25rd mag for the 10/22. It is about 40 bucks but adjustable for tension, feed lip angle, and something else that I cant remember right now.

I had a handful of the prebans - they were cheap enough that I didn't care about how long they lasted - when the ban hit I found all the mag's that I had died before the end of the ban except the ruger factory mags. After the ban sunsetted I looked for steel lip mags that are cleanable - the cleanable part is very important - I use the aluminum body steel feed lip Tactical Innovation mag - I have 3 or 4 composite from him on stand by.
I had purchased a couple of other mags when the ban first lifted and before Tactical innovations came out with a cleanable mag - several of them are now dead. If you can only afford one good on buy the all metal if you have to cheap out (like me) buy the poly's that you can clean and adjust.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-machined-aluminum-steel-lipbrmagazine-ruger-1022-p-212.html

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-advanced-composite-steel-magazine-ruger-1022-p-532.html

clodhopper
10-18-2010, 08:22 PM
From memory magazines manafactured after the brady crime encoragement bill became effective were all to be marked with a date of production.
So preban had no date, post ban were dated and not to be possesed by persons other than Law enforcement and military. There was probably some sort of exception for the ruling class.
Now the ban has expired and post, post ban mags have no date on them.
So then are dated mags collectable?