PDA

View Full Version : Any RIA .45 owners out there?

NSP64
10-11-2010, 01:18 AM
My new RIA .45 1911a1 loves ball and lee 155gr swc boolits, but will jam the Lee 200gr swc boolits every second shot. The ojive causes the angle of entry to the chamber to be so severe that it mashes a canalure in the casing right where the boolit lube groove is!

missionary5155
10-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Good morning
Have you polished the feed ramp ? On some ramps there tooling marks are deep enough to "Grab" the boolit nose. I make it SOP to polish all feed ramps and many lead boolit problems get slicked away.

NSP64
10-11-2010, 11:17 AM
It came polished, and I polished it some more. Looks like a mirror. I wonder if its the mag. It seems like the boolit hits the barrel and bounces the nose up before it leaves the mag. The 155 gr swc nose is smaller diameter and doesn't hit the barrel?

Trey45
10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
My RIA 1911A1 feeds and cycles everything I have fed it, regardless of nose type and/or weight.

gray wolf
10-11-2010, 04:58 PM
seems like the boolit hits the barrel and bounces the nose up before it leaves the mag.

Bullet should hit feed ramp--bounce up and hit top of barrel--then go down and into the chamber. That's the way it was made to work. I would say you need to work out a different seating dept, longer or shorter.
I am a little confused as to the -every second round jam thing. It sounds like the case is going to far in the barrel before it want to go down and in. So I would say it's hitting the feed ramp in the wrong spot, again over all size of the round.
Just polish that feed ramp with a soft cloth --I wouldn't try to re shape it at all.
+ I don't think that's your problem.
Take the recoil spring out and perhaps the guide rod, leave the bushing in place. the rounds should chamber with a light push on the slide. Study whats going on in slow motion.

Sam

Bloodman14
10-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I only cast Lee TL230-452-R's, mine loves 'em. FWIW.

Moonie
10-12-2010, 12:06 PM
My son has a RIA 1911, we shoot lee 230 TC (normal lube groove) and 200gr Mihec HP's, feeds them both perfectly. We have also shot 155gr SWC Lee .401's through a 400 Cor-Bon barrel in it, no misfeeds at all with it either.

McLintock
10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
I've had one for over a year now and have only shot 200 gr SWC's that most commercial casters offer. Mine are by Meister Bullet and they have no cannelure, just a grease groove. Loaded to a length of 1.25-6" they function without a hitch; that's the OAL Kunhausen suggests in his 1911 manual. As stated overall length is critical in 1911's, especially if you're shooting SWC's.
McLintock

35remington
10-12-2010, 08:38 PM
What you've described is mostly likely a three point jam.....this makes a "smiley face" in the brass below the case mouth.

Which Lee SWC are you using? They're not all optimum as far as feeding goes.

What magazines are you using? The SWC type with parallel feed lips tend to steepen the feed angle, and if the release is late (unusual) it can lead to the jam you've described.

There are other causes as well, but by "second" I presume you mean the second round in the magazine....the second shot fired.

Seven shot or eight shot?

Stay away from polishing the feed ramp if you don't know what you're doing. Altering the angle or reducing the necessary barrel/frame ramp gap with overzealous polishing has ruined far more guns than it's cured. A 1911's frame ramp does not need to shine like a mirror to feed well. It's far more important that it be at the correct angle and have the necessary gap between frame ramp and barrel ramp.

NSP64
10-13-2010, 12:21 AM
What you've described is mostly likely a three point jam.....this makes a "smiley face" in the brass below the case mouth.
Exactly
Which Lee SWC are you using? They're not all optimum as far as feeding goes.
Lee .452 200gr swc that gives me problems.
The Lee .452 155gr swc does fine
What magazines are you using? The SWC type with parallel feed lips tend to steepen the feed angle, and if the release is late (unusual) it can lead to the jam you've described.
The 8rds ones that came with it(only load 5)
There are other causes as well, but by "second" I presume you mean the second round in the magazine....the second shot fired.
I load 5, drop the slide on first one no problem. when it tries to load 2nd it gets smiley jam. 3,4,5 all function good
Seven shot or eight shot?

Stay away from polishing the feed ramp if you don't know what you're doing. Altering the angle or reducing the necessary barrel/frame ramp gap with overzealous polishing has ruined far more guns than it's cured. A 1911's frame ramp does not need to shine like a mirror to feed well. It's far more important that it be at the correct angle and have the necessary gap between frame ramp and barrel ramp.

Thanks