PDA

View Full Version : stuff in my powder.

NSP64
10-11-2010, 01:07 AM
I opened my can of IMR 4227 for the first time in 6 months and growing on the inside of the lid was a redish crystaline structure about the size of a small apple. The lid had a styraphome(sp) seal on the inside that had fallen off. My guess is rust from the powder in contact with the bare metal lid. In the trash it went.

geargnasher
10-11-2010, 01:08 AM
You just threw away some good garden or lawn fertilizer.

Gear

NSP64
10-11-2010, 12:38 PM
gee, just what I need. bigger stronger crabgrass.lol

wiljen
10-11-2010, 12:49 PM
4227 has done that to me a time or two. It doesn't seem to age as well as some other powders. SWMBO is always happy for rose bush fertilizer though.

FWAddit
10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
I know smokeless powder is high in nitrogen and all, but it's essentially a plastic. Isn't it insoluble? Does it really break down into nitrates that plants can use?

I guess I could save the sweepings from my reloading room floor and do a test on a potted plant. Two potted plants; one for a control. Or rather for statistical purposes, 60 potted plants: 30 with a teaspoon of powder and 30 controls without. But then I wouldn't have enough floor sweepings, and I'd have to waste good shooting stuff. Or wait till a can of powder goes bad.

Heck with it. Somebody just tell me.

fryboy
10-12-2010, 12:38 PM
plants need nitrogen ( it makes them lush and green ) powder has nitrogen , one caution dont apply to heavy , one can burn by adding too much but sprinkled in the garden is good or in the grass and bad powder is already in the process of being broken down , sunlight also helps break powder down ( ever see it come in a clear jug ? me either ) and i'm sure that various elements in dirt also help , the only powder i have ever seen melt was a black substitute and while it would melt it would also ignite when the temp got higher

Centaur 1
10-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I have a small herb garden right outside my garage door. I sweep my bench after loading and I have the greenest, lushest parsley that you'll ever see. :-D

qajaq59
10-12-2010, 03:34 PM
I have the greenest, lushest parsley that you'll ever see. Yeah, but can you let it get near an open flame? :mrgreen:

Shiloh
10-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Why is 4227 more susceptible to deterioration than other powders??

Shiloh