PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 22 ammo of choice?

Marvin S
10-10-2010, 06:46 PM
What have you all been finding to be the best of the cheap priced 22LR ammo. I have some Walmart Federal that I can hardly wait till its gone, it throws shotgun patterns in everything I try it in.

docone31
10-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I like Thunderbolt by Remington. I re-headspaced my 10/22, and it is a real tack driver with it.
Runs with the best for me.

mongo
10-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I have been using winchester hollow points I got from walmart, Cant wait till itsall gone, it makes the federal look like match ammo

imashooter2
10-10-2010, 07:13 PM
PMC Zapper has worked well for me. 10 shots at 50 yards from an iron sighted Mossberg single shot...

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/postal2010-22-600.jpg

10-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Back when Federal and Remington first came up with the bulk 22s in the "milk jug" marketing at Wally World I thought, "Oh Boy I can lay up some cheap and good ammo..... not!". That was quite a while ago. Still have some of it... most shoot in patterns as others have posted. I still have some of it and have not bought any more. It's hard to get rid of because it shoots so poorly and is a waste of time to shoot and some of it even mis-fires. Anyway, I have found that within at least the moderately priced 22 ammo the current runs of Blazer 22 lr is very good for the money!

jsizemore
10-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I use CCI standard velocity I got from Dick's. I think it was $25/brick. I use it for smallbore silhouette practice and club matches.

If you need more velocity to cycle an auto try some Winchester Dynapoints.

Good Luck

Jim Sheldon
10-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I've been using the Federal "Target Grade" .22 in the 325 round bulk packs from Walmart with outstanding results in both an Anschutz 1451ST and an old tube fed, pre world war 2 Marlin 81DL. They both shoot ragged one hole groups at 25 yards with the stuff.

Then I've also had rifles over the years that wouldn't group for beans no matter what you tried to feed them.

When I first got that Anschutz, I was having grouping problems with it, and someone on another forum made a snide comment "Quit cleaning the bore until the groups start opening up!".

I always thought that target rifles needed squeeky clean bores, but when I tried his "no clean" advice, I was amazed by the difference.

Starting out with a shiny clean bore, after about 30 rounds of that Federal 40 grain target bulk stuff, it settled right down and started shooting really tight one-holers at 25 yards. At about the 600 round mark, it started to open up a bit, so I did one pull of a bore snake (no solvent on it) and it settled right down again. I do, however clean the action and the rest of the rifle after every range session, just leaving the bore alone until I start getting fliers. Then one pull through of a dry .22 bore snake fixes it right up again.

Who'd have thunk that?

Jim

Heavy lead
10-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Don't much like cheap 22's, use mostly Winchester Power Points, they shoot good. One exception is the CCI Blazer, they shoot well out of my 10/22 and Mark II Target. As far as 22 Mags, the best ammunition I've ever used is also by far the most accurate the Fiocchi soft point will shoot 11/4" groups (5 shot) at 100 yards from my 94/22 with a Bushnell Trophy scope.

btroj
10-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I like the CCI blazer. I have a bunch left from the 5000+ rounds I bought when it was 8.99 per 500.

home in oz
10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Remingtons with the golden bullet, whatever they are called.

The bulk pack Federals work as good as I can hold.

Firebricker
10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
I keep better quality ammo on hand but the federal 550 bulk pack's is what I shoot the most of. Once in a wlile you can hear one way under powered but for the most part there fine for backyard plinking. FB

ebner glocken
10-11-2010, 12:48 AM
The remington bulk pack consistantly has more duds than the other cheaq ammo. The federal 550 bulk pack seems to have almost as many fliers as the remington.

The cheapest decent shooting ammo that is bulk packed from walmart that I have found is the federal automatch for around 13 bucks for 325 rounds. So far I have been able to count on one flier out of 10. Yes, there is more consistant ammo but it will cost more than 4 cents a round.

Ammo was tested in several ruger mkII mk III 5.5s, HS duramatic, 41 S&W 5.5.

Ebner

bob208
10-11-2010, 06:42 AM
i am still working on the 4 cases of wolf steel case i bought at an auction years ago. it shoots real good in both of my brno rifles. even does well in my old remington 514.

for matchs with my ruger mk1 i used fed. standard it shot good. but i had a light load some times.

Doc_Stihl
10-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I really like the aguila and remington subsonics.

I usually suggest getting a box of everything that's cheap and trying. My mark 2 pistol will shoot anything without a noticeable accuracy difference. My 10/22 is VERY picky.

Trey45
10-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Aguila 40gr copper washed. Man that's some good ammo! I don't buy much of it anymore because they jacked the price up too high on it.

I must be lucky, I have shot literally thousands of the Federal 550 bulk pack stuff, and it's good ammo in most of my guns. My Henry shoots bug hole groups with it, so does my Mossberg 46B(b). My CMMG 22 conversion for my bushmaster AR works like a champ with the Fed's. The only ammo I've ever shot in my Sig 522 is the Fed bulk. Matter of fact, my CZ Kadet shoots tight groups with the Fed Bulk too.

10 ga
10-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Paco! Regular ammo goes from good to great. 10
http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

Freightman
10-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a M69 that shoots the cheap as good as the high priced stuff. I have proof and it may be the rifle as I am not that good of a shot, and not one FTF. And yes I am to lazy to change the targets.

Multigunner
10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
My .22 Marlin M1 and High Standard revolver both shoot fine tight groups with federal bulk ammo.
My Savage is a tack driver with anything put through it.

Could be that it works best in short barrels. Both these guns were beat up on the outside but had perfect like new bores.
I suppose the soft Federal lead bullet might not hold its accuracy if a bore were worn or allowed to lead up.

Doc Highwall
10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I have been shooting the Federal bulk pack 550 round type 750 and it shoots good out of quite a few 22rf. The thing about 22's some guns love them and others hate them but to get the best accuracy with a bolt gun you have to play with the bedding and at least the torqueing of the screws.

wiljen
10-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Wolf Match Target or Winchester T22s are still my favorites without paying for Eley.

Multigunner
10-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I have been shooting the Federal bulk pack 550 round type 750 and it shoots good out of quite a few 22rf. The thing about 22's some guns love them and others hate them but to get the best accuracy with a bolt gun you have to play with the bedding and at least the torqueing of the screws.

My Savage when I first got it threw patterns instead of groups.
The Synthetic stock has an indentation on the exterior of the fore end at the front of the barrel channel and it had a matching hump inside the barrel channel.

I loosened the action screw enough to slide a sheet of 240 grit sand paper grit side out between barrel and stock and pushed it back and forth a few times. Problem solved, now one holers are the norm.

I also took the rear sight off and reshaped the blade to suit my shooting style.
I reduced its size and squared its profile and added a small slot in the center of the notch.
I use the original notch with sight blade centered in the central notch for one hundred yards and let the front sight bead rest in the central notch with target framed in the old notch like a smaller version of the semi buckhorn for precise closer range shots at 25 to 50 yards.
I filed the bottom of the sight adjustment wedge to even it up then filed a bit more to make the second notch a perfect elevation for 100 yards in the old notch.
I mixed some bright reddish orange paint, from old testors model car paint, to paint the front sight bead for low light visibility.

I was given a BSA 3X-7X variable scope but haven't mounted and zero'ed it on this rifle yet.

BillP
10-11-2010, 07:34 PM
510 Federal Champion is the best budget rimfire I've found...

Marvin S
10-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I went to Cabelas today and did not find much except for Eley which I already have some and and saving it for HWZ target rifle. I will check Walley World for the Fed target and give that a shot. I have several Remington collectors tins and such full of 22s but dont want to open them.

uncle joe
10-11-2010, 07:44 PM
the ones with the lowest price.
I don't compete so my few thousand are for the tree rats and the zombies when the 5.56 runs out.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-11-2010, 10:54 PM
My Rem 511 likes the solid CCI Blazers, my wife's 511 like HP Rem Gamegetters

[smilie=s:

EMC45
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
CCI Blazers. They work in just about everything I put them in. And well.

Artful
10-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Best advice I could give

I usually suggest getting a box of everything that's cheap and trying.

It's amazing how in one gun you get patterns and try it in another and get cloverleafs - I have some cheap russian steel cased stuff I bought didn't work well in any 22's I owned at the time then got a Romanian trainer an wow bouncing golf balls at 100 yards with iron sights with it - you never know until you try it.

One thing - lay in a stock of what it likes all the same lot if you can - each lot may be off a different machine and have enough differences that it shoots better or worse groups from stuff made on another machine. If you don't watch the detail it can drive you crazy :veryconfu

oldhickory
10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
PMC Zappers, (hollow point) or PMC Sidewinders, (solids). Match grade accuracy at a working man's price...If ya can find em.

bobthenailer
10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
only 2 brands 22lr ammo is on my shelf in any quanity! cci std velocity , ck dicks $25.00 per 500
and federal auto match sold at wally world for $14.78 per 325 both are excellent ! out of many different 22lr rifles and pistols

Doc Highwall
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
A gun store here in Ct just had a Federal Truck Load Sale last month and was selling the CCI-Blazers for $9.99 for 500 rounds so I picked up three cases.

Maven
10-14-2010, 03:27 PM
"What have you all been finding to be the best of the cheap priced 22LR ammo?"

Marvin S, This isn't easy to answer because ammo specs differ by manufacturer, as does quality control. Then too, barrel & chamber dimensions vary widely (?) among different manufacturers. However, once in a while, you find a perfect match between your rifle's chamber and bore AND a given brand of .22 ammo. What I suggest is that you purchase as many different brands of .22 ammo (maybe 2 boxes/100 rounds of each?) as you can and then test them in your rifle. Make a note of the lot numbers of the better - best performing ones so you can stock up on them. Btw, although not cheap by any means, some lots of CCI "Green Tag" and Wolf "Match Extra" have performed very well in my rifle, a heavy bbl'ed. Marlin clip fed repeater.

Ledbetter
10-14-2010, 04:03 PM
CCI Blazers or Winchester. Cheaper ammo is more frustrating than fun.:Fire:

EMC45
10-14-2010, 06:12 PM
A gun store here in Ct just had a Federal Truck Load Sale last month and was selling the CCI-Blazers for $9.99 for 500 rounds so I picked up three cases.

That is half of what they are around here!!!:mad:

Shiloh
10-14-2010, 06:53 PM
CCI Blazers work the best for me. Federal Bulk from Wally World is second.

Shiloh

NickSS
10-18-2010, 05:08 AM
I have found that my CZ rifles as well as my Kimber 82G like the Winchester 333 bulk pack ammo from Wall mart. They also like the Federal 510 Lightning that Wal Mart sells for $1.59 a box of 50. The bulk Pact 550 Federal is only useful for shooting tin cans and pests at close range. The Remington bulk is about the same but gives more miss fires,

WILCO
10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Remingtons with the golden bullet, whatever they are called.

The 550 pack? I just bought a box. Good stuff? I plan on using it for squirrels. CCI Blazer just goes right through them unless you get a head shot, and even then, I've had it take two to put em down.
The last red squirrel I tapped thought he was John Wayne and wouldn't drop off the tree before grabbing his chest and swaggering a bit.......

Arisaka99
10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
I use federal bulk 550 packs and i do great. I was shooting yesterday, and was getting ragged one hole groups at 25yds. It was with a daisy legacy and a scope, but it was off the bench. I like guns....... ;)

blaster
10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Federal bulk pack is my go to. I've had a lot of weak golden bullets and don't use them anymore. I had one remington peters that was so weak it stuck.

buck1
10-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Maven called it. But in general .........

The Remingtons in the bucket are junk, you are better off throwing rocks.
The Remington Golden bullets are not bad but there are a lot of misfires in the box.
The Federal Autos are ok but will not work the action of my Stoeger Luger.
If you can find them(I have only once in bulk) Winchester dynopoints were the best in several guns.

Doc Highwall
10-18-2010, 05:12 PM
The people that I know that are shooting the plate matches with 22LR their number one ammo is the Federal 550 packs load number 750.

9.3X62AL
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
I can usually find at least one of my 22 LR firearms that will choke or sputter on any of the bargain ammo types. Winchester Dynapoints ran well in most of my toys, excepting the two Cotillion Debutantes that DEMAND Steak and Lobster at mealtimes--the Win 290 and the SIG-Sauer Mosquito. CCI Mini-Mags ONLY, for their refined palates.

The Mini-Mags aren't cheap, usually $6-$7/100. That's far short of Eley pricing, but still substantially more than the bulk-boxed stuff. The up-side to the question is that the Mini-Mags function ALL my semi-autos very well, run very consistent ballistics, and shoot quite accurately in all my firearms. They are the single most accurate ammo in about half my toys, and are nearly so in the rest of the fleet. This ammo also shoots A LOT cleaner than most of the cheepo loads.

For all these reasons, I have pretty much stopped buying the El Cheapo bulk-packed ammo for my 22s. I save a considerable amount of money by loading cast boolits in most of my centerfires, so I plow the savings into rimfire ammo that works well in all the toys.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
during the clinton era, I stocked up on Federal "Lightning"
in the 500 bricks (10 boxes of 50).
they are my favorite for economical shooting.
they are old enough now that the lube has dried some,
and I have issues with ejection, the last time I was shooting
them at the range, I thought I'd lightly spray them with WD40
and roll them in a paper towel to get the excess off, worked
pretty good. Next time I may try lightly coating them with JPW or something.

My Uncle worked at Federal Cartridge since the 70s, He retired last year.
Years ago He told me the bulk packages were 2nds and rejects from their "Lightening" line.
I don't think they've made that line for a few years now.
Jon

gon2shoot
10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
The Federals seem to work best although I do have to bump them for a couple guns. That's for minute of possum accuracy.

DIRT Farmer
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
About the only time I shoot a 22 anymore I am squrriel hunting or shooting starlings. I do get some off hand withdrawal some times and shoot the old 513T but my peep sight has the peep worn out oval. The remmington sub-sonic will shoot better than I can hold and will function the Ruger Mk2.
A few WW shorts in the old Ranger pump for old times sake when it was all I had to hunt with.

smkummer
10-18-2010, 11:06 PM
the only bulk that I have had real trouble with is the Reminton thunderbolts of about 8 years ago. It was as cheap as $8 per 500. And it appeared we got what we paid for. I believe its all gone now. About 10% duds and in my son's Colt 22 single shot, we got gas blow by. Switched ammo and the problem went away. All the Federal bulk and Winchester bulk fired OK in everything I have.

quack1
10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
I got some Winchester Xpert HV in a bulk box of 500 this summer at Walmart for general plinking. What a surprise, shot some of the best groups ever in my Kimber while I was adjusting the scope for them. A magazine full made one small ragged hole at 50yds. On the other hand, they only shot fair out of my Rem. M 12. After seeing how much my Kimber liked them I went back and got a couple more boxes. With 22's you never know what each gun will like, just need to try different brands then buy a bunch of that same lot.

Von Gruff
10-20-2010, 05:28 PM
My Kimber likes the T22 for accuracy but they wont kill a rabbit so for HV loads the Fed 525 champion bulk pack will keep 5 in 1/2 at 75yds and the Rem Subsonics work to the same level of accuracy through the supressor if I want to keep things quiet. That is surely some cheap fun and puts delicious meat on the table.

Von Gruff.

Gunaria
10-20-2010, 08:18 PM
The Walmart Federal Lightning. $1.47 per 50 round box. Works out to $14.70+tax per 500 round brick. It's an all lead 40gr bullet. All my .22's over 40 years old love it.

dualsport
10-21-2010, 01:54 AM
My CZ Lux really likes the Federal 36 gr #750 load. They used to be about $10 for the 550 box. My 10/22 and Mk1 Bull Barrel don't like the stuff at all.

JIMinPHX
10-27-2010, 02:15 PM
For years, I swore by Thunderbolts & just shook my head when people told me how bad they were & how they misfired all the time. Then I got a bad brick or two of my own & had the same problem. When you get a good brick, they are good, but that's not always the case. The Golden Bullet bulk pack from Remington seem to be about the same.

These days, I seem to see some very similar bullets under different names from Remington. It looks to me like the bottom line is that there are two weights to choose from that are actually different & several Remington brand names to chose from that are actually no different.

The Winchester white box stuff that I got from Walmart had feeding problems in a 10-22 that eats everything else just fine & they also had bad variations in velocity.

PMC & Blazer .22s have been hit & miss on both accuracy & fouling for me.

I've been having very good luck with American Eagle .22's for a few years now. They come in a brick of 400, not 500, so they are a little more expensive than the other bulk box stuff, but the quality has been consistently good for me so far. Right now, this is my general purpose first choice in rimfire ammo.

The CCI 100 packs have always been good for me, but they are normally priced a little higher. The hyper velocity stuff all seems to be pretty good quality, but the prices on that stuff seems to be more & more on the high side as time goes by. Even the bricks aren't very cost competitive like they used to be.

Some of the hyper velocity stuff has cartridge cases that are slightly longer than standard & if you have a Bentz barrel or other type of somewhat tight chamber, they may not go into battery properly.

NoZombies
10-27-2010, 09:37 PM
I'll throw in another vote for the fed Auto match stuff. When I can find it, I buy it, as everything I've loaded it into eats it and shoots it accurately. Even the most finicky gun ever, an old sterling .22 auto that one of my shooting buddies affectionately named "the gun with bulimia" because of it's apparent eating disorder. You know, "eat one, throw up, eat one, throw up..."

I've had a terrible time with the Winchester bulk "wildcats." I don't have an auto that will consume a steady diet of those, including my 10-22 that will run literally everything else without a hiccup.

Depreacher
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Bought 5 boxes of PostObamaScare Winchester LRHP's 5 months ago. They go bang but won't cycle the action on my S&W 2213 compact automatic, or my 'ol Marlin 60. These 2 guns will shoot Rem LRHP 550 pack ammo all day long, but have extraction and feeding problems on Federal 550 pack stuff and some old Winchester Wildcats I still have. Both Also have troubles on old stock federal lightnings. These are the worst. My 1959 S&W K-22 shoots everything, and is accurate with most, even the wildcats. If I could only have one handgun, my K would be in the top 3 of all my shootin irons. My Uberti 1860 would be there, and my Mark VI Webley (converted). Hard choice. Hmmm

Just a thought, Remington makes shotgun ammo at Lonoke, AR, but not sure if they make 22's there. Does anyone know??? Do they have other ammo plants anywhere besides Ilion??? Just curious. Mack

conger
12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I have been happy with Ely Sport at around $240 a case. Shoots pretty good in my 40x and Win 52s.

snowwolfe
12-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Interesting topic and feedback. I guess we own about 15 .22's in our house and one thing for certain is rarely do we find two weapons that both like the same cheap ammo.
For revolvers it doesnt seem to matter much as the ammo is better than we are and for the semi's we are mostly burning lead and 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards are acceptable.
Point is, each gun will tell you what it can tolerate.
Have tried all the bulk packed and some work, some don't. When you find one that does, buy a case of it because quality is hit and miss.

crabo
12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
the last time I was shooting
them at the range, I thought I'd lightly spray them with WD40
and roll them in a paper towel to get the excess off, worked
pretty good. Next time I may try lightly coating them with JPW or something.
Jon

I use Pam cooking spray. Don't over do it and don't lube more than you want to shoot. Groups will often tighten up as well.

KILLERtj
12-08-2010, 10:43 PM
As most goes, this is strictly my opinion and experience with my rimfire rifles,

CCI Blazer and Remington 36gr Golden Bullets are the best "bulk" ammo that I have found. Very few misfires, if any and ~1" groups at 25yds from a sporter.

As far as none bulk ammo goes, I find that:
Aguila Super Extra 38gr High Velocity groups around .6" @25yds
ELEY Sport 40gr Std. Velocity .5" @25yds
RWS 40gr Target-Sport Line Std. Velocity .5" @25yds

I had a ton of misfires from Winchester "333" cheaps bulk, Federal Spitfire Hyper Velocity, Remington Target, Remington Thunderbolt.

I will tend to use either Blazer or bulk Golden's for plinking and hunting and use RWS or Wolf for more serious target matches.

KILLERtj

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I like the Federal "Target Grade" in the 325 round packs. It definantly isn't match grade, but it will hold a minute of squirrel head at 25 yds out of my 10/22. That's good enough for me most of the time. If I want to get serious, then its CCI Minimags out of my 514 Remington.

Regards,
Everett

Marvin S
12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
One amazing thing is the amount of different selections of a simple little cartridge, and they are still making new types all the time. I just seen the new stuff being made for the AR type rifles, it is a standard velocity with kind of a fat head boolit.

firefly1957
12-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I have good luck in my Winchester model 77 (old semi auto) with Federal hp in bulk pack my current big box of Remington hp's works well but a older box gave me a lot of slow rounds. How slow I do not know but they would make a sharp whistle and stick half way down the barrel of a S&W model 17 but worked in High Standard H-D Military or any rifle.

3006guns
01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm old enough to remember when .22's came fifty in a little cardboard box for about 59 cents at the local hardware store. Brand didn't seem to matter as they all shot great and this was LONG before plated bullets became the norm. Never had any leading problems but I was faithful about cleaning.

I used to have a lot of faith in Remington, long before the "bulk pack" method of marketing.

Until I bought a some back in 1982 or so. This is when they were packed in the little greenish yellow plastic boxes with the tray for individual rounds. They were on sale, so I bought a full case and felt like a real high roller. Every one of those things exhibited a bulge at the extractor slot of my Remington 514, and wouldn't extract as the extractor just rode over the bulge. I even had a gunsmith buddy tell me that the rifle had excessive headspace. Horsepucky....I've had the gun since I was twelve and pampered it like the crown jewels. Besides, how many stories have you heard of a .22 with excessive headspace?

No, it was the ammo. The brass was so thin the rim bulged every time without fail. I still have some around here someplace and give it the local kids to blast ground squirrels with.

Perhaps by now the problem has been solved. Anyone care to comment?

9.3X62AL
01-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Perhaps by now the problem has been solved. Anyone care to comment?

Quality control seems to have moved toward the "worse" side of things rather than the better, as far as bulk 22 LR ammo goes. Citing the example of the Winchester 290 self-loader rifle I spoke of earlier......in the late 60s through the 70s, just about any make of 22 LR ammo would run that little rifle very reliably. It has been shot quite a bit--probably 5K rounds--but it certainly isn't worn out. Nowadays, only steak & lobster ammo will run the thing--CCI Mini-Mags.

Mu conclusion, based on this limited info.......with 22 LR ammo, you DEFINITELY get what you pay for.

felix
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Back in the mid 80's I got a call from a retailer I knew in Little Rock. He knew I liked match 22s, and he got a call from a wholesaler having to retrieve a bunch of Olin T22s sold to ROTC school teams. This recall was financed by Olin and my price was the cost of manufacture. They had to replace all the deliveries with ammo that did not have a shortage of priming compound. I got several cases which amounted to be the retail cost of normal LRs back in the 50s. That was something like 60 cents per box of 50. That stuff recalled was reportedly the most accurate in the Kimber 82s as well as in the Smith 41s, as well as the Win 52s, the destination guns for the ammo in the first place. When the ammo shoots, it does indeed shoot to spec. If it does not, shoot it again with a different rotation. Odds are that it will shoot the second time. It's all about ammo made on Friday being no different than cars made on the same day. Buyer beware, unless the price is in accordance. ... felix

Marine Sgt 2111
01-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I have been using the Federal 38gr HP's and they function both semi auto pistol and rifles fine. For serious work I use modified wolf match made into HP's out of my 10-22 or 52B.

I had a terrible experience with winchester wildcat ammo. Over a chono up to 150fps difference shot to shot and one bullet was going so slow that it failed to go thru the 3/8 plywood backstop, bouced back and hit me in the chest. Glad I had my safety glasses on.

LEADLUBBER
01-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Federal 510- Buy the bricks only, not bulk look alike box- $19-$22

Federal AUTOMATCH bulk pack of 325 only- $15

CCI Blazer Brick only, not bulk pack..... $21-$24 usually

CCI Standard Velocity, Brick only, not the 100 round packs- Dicks sporting goods has these for $25 a brick, Very good ammo usually for most guns

Wolf Match Target for $45-$50 a brick usually at the right price, usually very good....

So far, these all have excellent performance over time and several different lots of ammo

REDTAIL
02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Fed value pack brick of 36 gr. jhp for about $28.00 a brick of 500+ rounds work's great for me.

MtGun44
03-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Nothing matches Win Powerpts for me. Another very good one is PMC Sidewinder.

Often it depends on the gun, but about 75% of my guns shoot Powerpts extremely well.

Bill

doubs43
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I use Federal 510's and find that they will generally shoot well in most .22 rifles. Those I have were $13.90 a brick from Academy Sports. Now I think the price has gone up a few dollars a brick. I used them in the last NRA silhouette match I shot and scored 21. I rarely practice but that's still a class "AA" score in Hunter Rifle.

My "reserves" include a few thousand Wolf Match Target cartridges that I bought when they were first imported. A 500 round can cost $13.50!

Char-Gar
03-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Twice a week, I shoot in a falling plate pistol match dedicated to 22 LR. We have a couple of dozen regular shooters. We have all gone to Federal ammo. It is as accurate as any of the low end stuff and produces less bad rounds, than Remington or Winchester.

To do better than Federal, you have to pay more. Wolf Match is excellent ammo if you can pay the cost.

19112TAP
03-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I have good luck with the Winchester box HP ammo & Federal box I get at Walmart.

L Ross
03-19-2011, 07:24 PM
No one has mentioned Eley Sport. I have not experienced a single dud, extreme velocity swings, or even complete lack of powder that I have found in two brands of bulk pack ammo. Federal Auto Match is accurate enough for our 22 BPCR matches, but it is disconcerting to have the occasional abnormal round cost you a target. +1 for the Paco tool, improves accuracy and I like the shallow cup nose for hard thwacking squirrel head shots.

Duke

Firebricker
03-27-2011, 04:52 PM
A local gun shop Fin Feather & Fur has had bricks of Remington Thunderbolts on sale for under $17. A still like the value of the Fed bulk packs but the Thuunderbolts are better quality IMO. FB

Nick2010
03-28-2011, 12:06 PM
i usually shoot federal from walmart. always works

exile
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I like Thunderbolt by Remington. I re-headspaced my 10/22, and it is a real tack driver with it.
Runs with the best for me.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I was wondering how you accomplish this, how do you measure to see if it would help, etc.,? Sounds interesting.

exile

Tom-ADC
03-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I just bought 8 boxes of Federal Champion total of 4200 for $120 shoots just fine in all of my 22's I'm sure there is more accurate ammo but that at that price.

Firebricker
03-30-2011, 12:50 PM
exile, docone31 has some threads on working on the 10/22s that are full of good info and links. Should be in this section you'll have to do a search to find them but worth it. FB