PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter locking lug clearance

chickenstripe
10-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Blackhawk Hunter
The cylinder locking/timing lug drags on the cylinder when the loading gate is opened. Is this normal?

If not, how can it be remedied?

Any input would be appreciated.

44man
10-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Super Blackhawk Hunter
The cylinder locking/timing lug drags on the cylinder when the loading gate is opened. Is this normal?

If not, how can it be remedied?

Any input would be appreciated.
NO, call Ruger.

chickenstripe
10-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Response from Ruger:
The cylinder latch does not stay retracted as cylinder is rotated.
The light mark on the circumference of the cylinder on your revolver is normal and is the result of the cylinder latch being in proper engagement position as the cylinder is being rotated.
If drags seems excessive we could look at it for you.

44man
10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Response from Ruger:
The cylinder latch does not stay retracted as cylinder is rotated.
The light mark on the circumference of the cylinder on your revolver is normal and is the result of the cylinder latch being in proper engagement position as the cylinder is being rotated.
If drags seems excessive we could look at it for you.
I think you explained it wrong to them. You said when the gate is open and it should be retracted all the way.
With the gate closed and you cock the gun, the lock will come up before you reach the notch and make a mark on the cylinder which is normal.
WITH THE GATE OPEN, THE LOCK SHOULD BE ALL THE WAY DOWN.

chickenstripe
10-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Original email sent to Ruger.

I've currently acquired a Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter from a family member. A total of 83 rounds was put through the gun during his ownership. The cylinder locking lug drags on the cylinder, when the loading gate is opened. I was told to contact you regarding this, and that this is not normal.

chaos
10-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Original email sent to Ruger.

I've currently acquired a Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter from a family member. A total of 83 rounds was put through the gun during his ownership. The cylinder locking lug drags on the cylinder, when the loading gate is opened. I was told to contact you regarding this, and that this is not normal.

Pick up the phone and call them. I think you mihgt have gotten the wrong person on the other end of the email.

They've never given me anything but top notch service with a phone call. The very little I've had to call them.

chickenstripe
10-19-2010, 03:03 PM
OK, I spoke with Michael at the service department. He informed me that you folks are correct, and that I should send it in to them with a letter of explanation so that they can take a look.

I hate to be without the gun for a lengthy amount of time, but I'll ship her out this week, and cross my fingers.

Art in Colorado
10-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I have had two Black Hawks with this very problem. I called Ruger and they sent me a free cylinder bolt (not sure if that is the correct term). My friend who does my action jobs replaced the faulty one. The original was a bent up mess. I do not think it is too hard to do on your own. Might want to try it.

chickenstripe
10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Absolutely insane..... a one day turnaround on checking out the revolver, and the best thing is, no charge. [smilie=w:

Including transit time from here to ruger and back I'll be without the revolver for one week.

Due to recieve on Monday, I'll post the results.......