PDA

View Full Version : First Boolit Rifle Kill

pipehand
10-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Shot a button buck this morning in my pajamas. (old Groucho Marx joke) Went to sleep last night in a cammie sweatsuit and the weather was so nice here in South Carolina that I just didn't get dressed. Sat in the stand for a while, and got bored. Walked around stalking for a bit- saw movement. Saw what I thought was a doe and held for a shoulder shot (have doe tags) from the "rice paddy prone," to get the shot through the brush. Range was less than 30 yards. Waited a couple of minutes after shooting to follow in the direction the deer went after the shot. Deer was laying down, and looking straight at me 15 yards from the first shot. Took out the brain stem with a finisher. Three hours later he's in the freezer.
Note to self- deer don't usually back up. What I thought would be a bang-flop shoulder shot actually clipped the liver, and unfortunately the stomach as well. I once dressed a deer that a feller had gut shot with a 110 grain J-word varmint bullet out of a 270 Winchester and most of the deer was waste. While not an ideal shot, the RCBS 30-150 out of my 30-30 Marlin @ just over 1800fps did the job without acting like a grenade. Neither boolit out of ACWW in front of 21.5 grains of IMR-4198 were recovered. Entry wound Fifth rib from the back with the exit @ third rib from the back about 3/4" in diameter. Very little in the way of bloodshot meat(ribs), no blood trail, but massive internal bleeding.
The reason this is posted as a first under cast boolit rifle, is because I once took a feral hog with a 45 cal Lee 300grainer out of my Ruger Bisley. That one, and todays deer took place less than 90 yards from where I'm posting this. Its great to live down a dirt road in the country.

RugerFan
10-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Good job! Cast boolit killed deer even taste better I swear :-)

Blammer
10-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Way to go!

kbstenberg
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Hopefullie my first boolit kill will come this year. Congrats
Kevin

reloader28
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Good job.
I'm planning on my first home cast deer kill this year myself.:cbpour:

beefan
10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Good post. I need to know about the final sized diameter of the bullet. Does your Marlin have micro-groove rifling?

Thanks

RP
10-11-2010, 08:49 PM
nice story I have not killed one with a cast as of yet, Right now its BP season and i replace the factory bullet with a cast mehic 45cal hp 260gr going to try to make all my kills with cast.

pipehand
10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Beefan, the sizer die in my Star pushes them out at .3105" and yes, the Marlin is a newer Mirco-Groove. The rifle/carbine has an XS lever rail on it and although I have a standard 4x scope, a scout scope and a red dot to mount on it, I have been using the ghost rings on it and my Guide Gun more than the others.
Had the liver for dinner tonight. Sliced it really thin with bacon and onions (fried quickly in the bacon grease) with mashed potatoes. Yumm! The next one will have to stand still so I dont lose the front part of the liver. Thankfully I was able to save a little more than half of it.
Will try for another this weekend with the Guide gun and the group buy 420gr.pbcb's. Will have to wear the lucky pajamas if the weather will cooperate.

home in oz
10-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Had cast boolit killed deer for supper tonight. Good!

Beerd
10-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Nice!!

(you never did say what the deer was doing in your pajamas, but that's another story)