PDA

View Full Version : First Cast Bullets!!!

05-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Just cast my first boolits-this may be addictive!! My wheelweight ingots with 2% tin added were melted in a Lee Magnum Melter and a Lyman dipper was used. The RCBS 44-250-K mold has begun my new reloading facet. All went good except for two issues.
First I seemed to be remelting alot of boolits that did not completly fill out the base of the slug-not much just a slight rounding of the outside diameter of the base.
Second, the boolits have an odd " speckled " apperance. The overall slightly frosty surface has numerous spots of shinier metal in an odd flake apperance- almost like a metal-flake paint.
Overall the task was enjoyable and uneventful due in no small part to all the great advice contained on this site. THANKS!

waksupi
05-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Ha! Got another one!

9.3X62AL
05-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Yeah, Ric--get the gaff, he's ready to bring aboard.......COLOR AFT!

The rounded bases could indicate a mold and/or alloy temp not quite hot enough. The slower pace of dipper casting can allow the mold to cool sufficiently between pours to cause this, even if the metal is good and hot. At some point, you got the boolit metal good and hot, though--frosted appearance is consistent with well-heated mold. Some folks like 'em shiny, some folks like 'em frosty--my preference is a mid-point between those extremes that produces a "galvanized sheet metal" appearance, perhaps like that you mention as the sparkly surface.

Welcome to the craft!

beagle
05-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Almost ought to be illegal how you can take nasty old wheel weights and turn out nice, shiny bullets ain't it.

Welcome to the club.../beagle

buck1
05-16-2005, 10:47 PM
When I first started it took a coupple of days to get a feel for it . Dont try to keep too many at first , just work on casting and getting a feel for it . try casting faster, slower, hotter aloy and then cooler. It will come.
PS I hope you like it// because know it or not,you are now adicted for life :) ...Buck

Ed Barrett
05-17-2005, 12:14 AM
When winter comes and your thoughts turn to casting enough bullets to last you til next winter, you know your lifes calling.

P.S. You always end up casting more during the other seasons.

Char-Gar
05-17-2005, 10:57 AM
I cast my first bullet in 1958 and was stricken in that moment. Welcome to the Cult of the Cast Bullet. You will find in this group of people, folks who are utterly dedicated to the persuit of knowledge and small groups. It is also one heck of a lot of fun!!!

It may cost a little, but try gambling, or chasing fast women for a hobby! The latter two will put you in the poor house, bullet casting is only a nick by comparison.

Shuz
05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
4296--I've been able to cure poor base fillout many times by adjusting the tension of the sprue plate. Often I've found that the sprue plate was too tight.

David R
05-17-2005, 06:38 PM
First welcome and congrats ! I still have my first cast boolit. a 105 gr 35 cal pistol boolit.

You will find using more than one mold will make it easier to get a rythm. Besides you end up with more boolits, so you can load them so you can shoot them so you can load them......................

I pour 2 or 3 molds depending on the size. BIG boolits you can use 3 molds because they need to cool off more in between filling them.

I only use ONE mold to pour my 22s because the mold takes a long time to get hot and its the only boolit I use pure lynotype.

Face it you are hooked. Just wait till you get a good target with your OWN boolits or you shoot some game with them. There is no better satisfaction.

JohnH
05-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Noting that you say you were tossing back more than you kept, the question comes to mind, did you toss them as you made 'em or at the end of a casting run? one of the single biggest improvements to my casting came when I made sure my mold was clean and prepped for casting, and once I started I didn't stop. Let nothing break your rythem. You will develop an eye for taking a quick glance at what just droped from the mold and estimating if you are too hot or not, suggesting a speed up or slow down on the rythem. Also, as you cast rake the bullets into an even pile so you can see the color of the bullets change over the casting time. This will help your rythem, as well as help the consistncey of the bullets. Close examination of each drop is a waste of time and a waste of heat.

In the end, you need to cast more :) The Silver Stream will reveal all in good time.

DOUBLEJK
05-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Dang...nother competitor fer the limited resources available of cast off W.W.'s...:)

Seriously tho...Welcome ta the fold...may yer new addiction be both pleasin' n rewardin'...

Buckshot
05-18-2005, 12:24 AM
"............alot of boolits that did not completly fill out the base of the slug-not much just a slight rounding of the outside diameter of the base."

Might wanna think about changing your casting uniform.

...........Buckshot

David R
05-18-2005, 06:05 AM
When I use a new mold, It has to break in. I use Starting fluid and an old tooth brush. I clean the mold while its warm after I have poured a few boolits. This is a sure way to get rid of any oil that might be hanging around. Your mold needs to break in as well as the person using it. I also found getting it good and hot by pouring a bunch of boolits fast seems to make it work better next time. As it warms up you will see the bases fill out better and better.

I guess I better put in a disclaimer. DON'T use staritng fluid near a flame!

It sure cleans the mold and leaves no resadue behind.

David Root

I need to pour 1,000 55 gr 22s for this summers match. NOW my daughter wants to shoot the 223, so maybe I have to crank out 2,000. Plus some 44s and 45s...............Oh yeah and some 32-20.

9.3X62AL
05-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I see Buckshot is at it again.

To clarify, for the benefit of newer members here--Buckshot's concept of "casting uniform" differs a bit from most of us. I recommend good layered coverage of any exposed skin surfaces--leather gloves, eye protection, yadda yadda--but not Buckshot, oh no. His ensemble for pouring projectiles consists of campaign hat, jockstrap, and huaraches. Or so he claims.

To each his own, say I. This was all good--UNTIL we started trip planning for NCBS 2005. His insistence upon using the daughters' VW Cabrio convertible in the interest of gas mileage was a little unsettling in the context of his bullet-making get-up. When he added the bit about the pink golf shirt and ascot, I drew a line in the sand--WE TAKE THE TRUCK.

I can only imagine the response the locals in Modoc County or northern Nevada would have to THAT arrangement. We would have been strung up, for sure.

Buckshot is a fine machinist and great offhand rifle shot--but ya gotta watch him at times.

shooter575
05-18-2005, 12:30 PM

To clarify, for the benefit of newer members here--Buckshot's concept of "casting uniform" differs a bit from most of us. I recommend good layered coverage of any exposed skin surfaces--leather gloves, eye protection, yadda yadda--but not Buckshot, oh no. His ensemble for pouring projectiles consists of campaign hat, jockstrap, and huaraches. Or so he claims
---------------------------
OMG, That is too much info. Does keep the visiters away I bet.
Hey where are the Tuesday at the range reports?Winnamucka is over.I miss them.

Buckshot
05-19-2005, 01:48 AM

To clarify, for the benefit of newer members here--Buckshot's concept of "casting uniform" differs a bit from most of us. I recommend good layered coverage of any exposed skin surfaces--leather gloves, eye protection, yadda yadda--but not Buckshot, oh no. His ensemble for pouring projectiles consists of campaign hat, jockstrap, and huaraches. Or so he claims. Buckshot is a fine machinist and great offhand rifle shot--but ya gotta watch him at times.

Hey, don't give me any heat over that. It works and sometimes you need all the help you can get. Besides it keeps the wife outta the garage too. Otherwise she's always thinking up stuff for me to do.

............Buckshot

Wayne Smith
05-19-2005, 07:47 AM
I have also found that, with dipper pouring at least, I get rounded bullets when I hold the dipper just off the sprew plate and pour the metal through the hole rather than placing the nose of the dipper directly on the sprue plate and letting the weight of the metal in the dipper press into the cavity. Or at least that's what I think is happening, that the weight of the metal above is causing the more complete fill.

I noticed this with a Lee 6 cavity MAV mold, when I just poured lead into each of the cavities I'd not get complete fill out, when I poured each one individually I did.

Welcome to the fold, and yes, it is addictive!

wills
05-19-2005, 07:55 AM

To clarify, for the benefit of newer members here--Buckshot's concept of "casting uniform" differs a bit from most of us. I recommend good layered coverage of any exposed skin surfaces--leather gloves, eye protection, yadda yadda--but not Buckshot, oh no. His ensemble for pouring projectiles consists of campaign hat, jockstrap, and huaraches.

Buckshot is a fine machinist and great offhand rifle shot--but ya gotta watch him at times.

If you want to watch him in that getup, go ahead. I believe I'll pass

shooter2
05-19-2005, 08:00 AM
First I seemed to be remelting alot of boolits that did not completly fill out the base of the slug-not much just a slight rounding of the outside diameter of the base.
Second, the boolits have an odd " speckled " apperance. The overall slightly frosty surface has numerous spots of shinier metal in an odd flake apperance- almost like a metal-flake paint.

There is another thing to try to get better base fill-out. Use a fine, single cut file, or a fine grit stone, and cut a bevel where the two mould halves join under the sprue plate. Just touch it enough to see a slight, shiney, bevel. What you're doing is creating a vent line at that juncture. As to shiney or frosted. I prefer them slightly frosted as they seem to be better, more consistent, bullets and they hold the lube a bit better.

44man
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
A lot of great advice here! Only one thing though---STARTING FLUID AROUND FIRE IS FUN!!!!
I don't recommend it though, can be dangerous but it kills bugs dead.