PDA

View Full Version : Lee 1 oz slug in NEF 12 ga rifled slug gun

wellfedirishman
10-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Folks, I have a question regarding what kind of performance I should expect from a rifled slug barrel.

I cast some Lee 1oz slugs from WW alloy, they have a diameter of about .685 inches.

I loaded them up in Win SuperX high brass slug hulls (2 3/4 inch) with 20 grains of Clays, using Remington Shotshell Wads FIG8S WAD from Cabelas. I based this load from an equivalent weight shot load. The recoil is moderate, similar to a standard birdshot load.

I shot them a few months ago in my Winchester 1200 18.5" Smoothbore Cylinder choke and they grouped about 4 inches at 50 yards. Great, particularly since I just had a bead and no rear sight.

Today I shot them in a NEF 12ga Pardner rifled slug barrel with full sights and they were all over the place. I was getting 12" patterns at 50 yards. Sometimes they would group well for 3-4 shots, sometimes not at all. I did put a wipe of TC Bore Butter through the barrel first to lubricate it slightly and also in the chamber to make the cases easier to extract. The slugs themselves were unlubricated.

Does anyone know why they would shoot badly in the NEF barrel? Would the Bore Butter have any effect?

The slug loads use a full wad cup, so the slug is contained within the wad petals. They were lightly crimped (just a star) as I was feeding them individually into the chamber as I was shooting them. If future I will use cardboard spacers so I can put a proper crimp on them.

Any input would be appreciated. I am a newbie at slug casting.

Matt3357
10-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Check out shotgunworld.com slug shooter forums. Those guys have pretty much done it all.

Matt

SuperBlazingSabots
10-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Good morning, here are your choices,
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Fed12S0andLeeslug.jpg
One thing to remember is to use a 16 gauge or a 20 gauge hard nitro card in wad just below the slug to give it a solid firm base helps, and then a good crimp.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/LeeKeyinFed12S4and12S3wad.jpg
If you are using a smooth bore then put a slug in wad and push it through your barrel with the help of a wooden dowel and you want it not to be loose or too tight that you cant push it through!
If you are using a rifled barrel then simply measure the outside diameter it should be around .727 to .730 no more.
I wish you all the best.
Ajay Madan
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

wellfedirishman
10-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks Guys, that is very helpful and appreciated.