PDA

View Full Version : Contaminated Lead Pot

sharpshooter79
10-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Howdy Folks,
If someone has taken a Lee Pro 4-20 and melted dirty lead in it, how do you go about getting the trash out? Or is it permanently contaminated? Thanks!

Tazman1602
10-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Just flux it real good and get the crud out unless it's REALLY bad. Or you can fire it up and drain it, let it cool and take a drill and a wire brush to it if you have to.

Got any idea what the contamination is????

Art

docone31
10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
They clean out ok.
I leave it full, take a screwdriver, a long one, and run it down the sides if it is real clogged.
The crud will float to the top. I do not flux this untill I get the Lion's share out. For the nozzle, I pour most of it into a cupcake pan, making ingots, then put fresh into the pot. This I flux, then I turn the nozzle while pouring.
So far, that has worked real well for me.
Every once in a while I get a sand box in my melt.

Charlie Sometimes
10-09-2010, 08:31 PM
When all the lead melts out the dirty stuff goes with it.
The iron doesn't retain zinc, etc.- does rust though, and get crappy in general though and looks bad, but is not "contaminated".
You can clean the steel liner with a soak in vinegar, or a wire brush, etc. once it's empty and get it to looking better- clearing out the loose stuff.
Flux your melt often and you will be okay using it.

sharpshooter79
10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Howdy Folks,
Thanks for the replies. I picked up a bunch of lead out of the backstop at the range and got ahead of myself and melted in it my pot instead of a steel pot over a propane burner. Had a bunch of dirt and stuff on them. I had been fluxing the heck out of it with paraffin wax when I found out I messed up. Just got through draining the pot and I will get to work with a wire brush when it cools off. Thanks!

docone31
10-09-2010, 09:00 PM
That ain't nothing.
Wait untill you take roof boots and shove them into the pot complete with shingles attached.
That asphalt sticks to the bottom and sides. It takes a long time to burn off.
Been there, done that.

sharpshooter79
10-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Well sounds like it's fixable then! I am greatly relieved as somebody told me that it might be permanently contaminated. Thanks!

mold maker
10-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I found that a NC red clay covered shotgun wad will ruin your day, and the looks of your pot. Fluxing with sawdust and a paint stick will do wonders for both your melt and your pot. I've started washing/rinsing the dirt off range lead (over 1/8' hardware cloth) and letting it dry in the sun will help you keep a lot of junk out of the pot.
Be extra vigalent looking for discarded duds and live rounds in the range pickings. When they get in the melt, the melt leaves the pot, in a rush. I keep a heavy lid in place to help reduce the tinsels effect.

Edubya
10-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Howdy Folks,
Thanks for the replies. I picked up a bunch of lead out of the backstop at the range and got ahead of myself and melted in it my pot instead of a steel pot over a propane burner. Had a bunch of dirt and stuff on them. I had been fluxing the heck out of it with paraffin wax when I found out I messed up. Just got through draining the pot and I will get to work with a wire brush when it cools off. Thanks!

If you're going after it with a wire bush use a certified mask, that stuff that you're brushing is dangerous!

You could just crank up the heat then unplug it and turn it upside down onto an old frying pan that you'll never use for food again. If there is a slight amount of zinc left it won't matter and if your hole is plugged you can use a thin wire held with pliers to punch up through it when the contents are hot enough.

It's probably just dirt and typical contaminates from the dirty lead that you threw in, that's why we should always smelt our lead in a different pot to clean out the foreign matter.

EW

sharpshooter79
10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Yes sir, I have learned my lesson on this one. I am getting my propane stove ready to go this weekend for melting the rest into ingots. :)

zomby woof
10-10-2010, 08:35 AM
You can also buy a new liner from LEE for little $$$.

Down South
10-14-2010, 08:05 AM
When I clean my pot, I drain it and let it cool. I use a rotary wire wheel on a cordless drill and th epot cleans up nice and shiney.

Char-Gar
10-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Here is what I do, but it must be done with much care. I fill the pot about 90 full of water. I plug it in and leave my hand on the plug. In very short order you will get a quick and full boil. Pull the plug. If you walk away from the plug, you won't have time before you have Old Faithful on your hands.

Any reside will come out quickly with a wire brush on an electric drill.