PDA

View Full Version : no front sight!

adrians
10-09-2010, 01:07 AM
hello, i have a trapdoor which was attacked by bubba years ago ,anyway he left a 1873 trap with a 23.5" barrel and NO front sight (or a least it's not there now.).
i have bought a "tall " unfinished ,one piece,machined, and the base is contoured very close to where the sight should be ,about 1.25"from muzzle.
my questions are ,
how do i put it on,(solder or even jb weld ,i don't know).?
before the filing starts (at the range ) do i flip my ladder rear sight up and use its lowest setting ,or do i need it in the down position ? please HELP i am clueless on this subject. thanks adrians.
(oh i forgot i will only be shooting out to 100---150---200 yds max ,and not very often at that,).[smilie=b:

Bullshop Junior
10-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Is it a wrap around front sight?

adrians
10-09-2010, 08:52 AM
morning ,
no it used to be i think a base , blade, and pin.(from what i,ve seen in pics it also my have been a solid milled piece! but not dovetailed,,,) i,m not to sure but its not a band like my mausers or other eoropean guns.
the blank blade i have would look good on the gun if i could shape it to size (if i knew how tall i should be.) and then afix to rifle which is my other ?,solder or other?
you have a great saturday [smilie=b::smile:[smilie=b:

Molly
10-10-2010, 08:18 AM
JB Weld will probably do the job for you just fine. If it doesn't, get a small sample of Brownell's Accraglass from your local gunsmith. That WILL do the job. All this contingent on proper degreasing of surfaces, etc.

adrians
10-10-2010, 10:59 AM
your right molly ,i used brownells hight calculator and that put me close to correct hight and now its on tight using JB WELD and it looks great ( i used aluminum tape to mask around the base, on the barrel and that didn;t allow any excess jb to seep on to the barrel and you wouldn;t know i used jb unless i told you ,unless your a pro smithy ofcource lol.)
have a great sunday . adrians

MtGun44
10-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Glue on first to test height. Use Brownell's High Force 44 soft solder for final. WILL NOT
fall off if done correctly.

Bill

sailor
10-29-2010, 01:22 AM
The front sight on my TD is .280" high, on a barrel diameter of .735", so it is .674 above the bore center. At 23.5" from the front of the receiver, my barrel is .780" in diameter, so if I put a sight on there it would be .023" too high. This depends on your rear sight. The bottom of my rear sight notch is .853" above the bore center line.
Just a starting place, but I hope it helps.