PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider lead a Liquid Asset?

Muddy Creek Sam
10-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Do you consider lead a Liquid Asset? :shock:

Sam :D

Heavy lead
10-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Absolutely, any commodity, including firearms are liquid assets. Also any commodity is inflation proof, much more so than any currency.

jmsj
10-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Of course !!
We can sell and trade it. Casting lead saves us money so we have disposable cash to buy other things.

Jeffrey
10-08-2010, 11:04 PM
That depends on your defination of "liquid". Generally it means easy to turn into other forms of currency / assets. I can tell you from experience after Katrina that some of the best "pursuaders" are cigarettes and vodka. After those come .22 LR and 12GA buckshot. The cigs and vodka got power on my side of the street before the other side got theirs. Fortunately I did not have to "spend" any .22 or 12GA.
Jeffrey

imashooter2
10-08-2010, 11:37 PM
It's only liquid if you're willing to part with it.

Jailer
10-09-2010, 12:05 AM
With the bans that are being put in place it might become quite a valuable commodity. On the black market anyway.

geargnasher
10-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Of course it is, it liquidates my extra cash!

Gear

Adam10mm
10-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Trick question. :)

reloader28
10-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I consider it a valuable asset, but its only liquid till it goes in the mold.:bigsmyl2:

Von Gruff
10-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Its is only liquid when it is in my pot heated to the right temp to cast boolits.

Otherwise it may be considered a solid asset......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

:castmine:

Von Gruff.

lwknight
10-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I do not consider lead as a liquid asset because it has different value to different people and the price is not directly tied to any type of monetary system.
Scrap prices are wild as spring hares. Wholesale prices lag the NYSE spot price by a fluctuating 2 to 6 months.

However having a stash of lead is of value and stashing more than you can afford is not prudent as is with any investment.

Tazman1602
10-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Of course it is, it liquidates my extra cash!

Gear

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Now that's funny Gear..................

Art

Charlie Sometimes
10-09-2010, 08:52 PM
A liquid asset only until it gets in the mold- then it is a solid investment that can only be liquidated through the end of my barrel! :smile:

home in oz
10-09-2010, 10:00 PM
It is a solid at room temperature.

hoosierlogger
10-10-2010, 01:55 AM
I think so. If I need money to fund an equipment purchase, I can trade the lead I have in the garage for items from the swapping and selling section. Lead is like money in the bank.

izzyjoe
10-10-2010, 08:50 AM
i consider it to be a precious metal like gold and silver. and we have seen what the price off them has done, but lead is a metal that i can afford to obtain. and i am obtaining all i can get for free or purchase. cause the price could rise up, to where i cannot afford it. a few of my friends ask me from time to time, what are you going to do with all that lead. i reply, what ever i shall wish to do. sell, trade, scrap. it's all just another form of currency $$$$$$. :cbpour:

2wheelDuke
10-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I do not consider lead as a liquid asset because it has different value to different people and the price is not directly tied to any type of monetary system.
Scrap prices are wild as spring hares. Wholesale prices lag the NYSE spot price by a fluctuating 2 to 6 months.

However having a stash of lead is of value and stashing more than you can afford is not prudent as is with any investment.

Good answer. It's been almost 10 years since my college economics classes, but I still remember a few things.

Liquidity is not a matter of yes or no, but a matter of being more liquid or less liquid.

Cash is considered fully liquid because you can get anything with it. Real estate is not liquid because it could take some time to turn it into cash.

Lead is fairly liquid in this community, because it's a traded commodity. It's not very liquid as a whole, because most people have no direct need for it.

I guess that's enough of the "overthinking it" answer.

lwknight
10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
The irony of it all:
The book of Revelations mentions that in the last days , they will be throwing their gold into the streets. Probably because they won't even be able to trade it for lead to make bullets with. LOL!!
Lead could be a semi-precious metal someday but , for now its just an industrial metal like copper , steel , and aluminum.

GabbyM
10-11-2010, 03:08 AM
Lead has day to day uses where gold and silver do not. So yes. it's an asset much more worthy than green backs. Plus it's hard to steel as it's heavy per penny.

Hickory
10-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Think about this if you will;
With one pound of lead you can easily cast enough
boolits to harvest enough meat for a year or more.

50 lbs. could last a lifetime for the purpouse of supplying food for you and your family.

44fanatic
10-11-2010, 10:04 AM
If the SHTF, it will be more liquidable(?) partially encased in brass with a small powder charge and primer underneath.

101VooDoo
10-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Lead no - beer yes.

Jim

taminsong
10-13-2010, 04:39 AM
For me, YES!

A lot of my shooter's friend are buying lead cast bullets from me!

frkelly74
10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
It's hard currency to me.

Jon
10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
In a way it is, but I probably wouldn't sell any. I sure do scrounge as much as I can.

a.squibload
10-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Lead has day to day uses where gold and silver do not. So yes. it's an asset much more worthy than green backs. Plus it's hard to steel as it's heavy per penny.

My wife would take issue with that as she makes jewelry.
And some folks NEED jewelry!

Same as anything, it's only liquid if someone wants some,
and you want something they have.

Peanut butter could work the same way I guess.

geargnasher
10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
One thing about economics: Each independent financial group has its own economy. Boolit casters create their own economy, and perceived value of some things is very different than the US or any other independent economy in general. Right now, I consider lead or lead alloys to be "hard currency" as frkelly said, and that value is between 50 cents and a dollar a pound. I have and do purchase with lead and accept payment of debt in lead just as if it were cash or gold, many other casters here do the same. When trading in the "outside" economy, cash for lead is usually a good deal because it tends to have less value to those who don't use it directly.

As far as being liquid, I know a few thousand people who'd be willing to liquidate my stash for the right price, so that proves the point.

Gear

GabbyM
10-15-2010, 01:41 AM
If you want to get technical lead is a commodity.
One important thing to keep in mind about lead is. During a large war lead will always be a regulated and rationed commodity. While gold may not be. ON the other hand the government may just come around and seize your lead supply as war material. If you think for a minute you’ll get fair compensation just ask someone whom has been displaced from there farm to make room for a shopping mall.

One large downside to a large stash of lead is if you ever have to move you need a large truck just for your lead.

Al that said there is nothing wrong with at least having enough around to last a lifetime of personal use. Right now the price is aback up. This weeks quote on 2/6 alloy FOB is $1.38 lb. So it’s a good time to sell. Of course I’m buying. Last couple years June and July have been good months to buy. You can never get the bottom price as a foundry selling price is an average of preceding three months. So as in any commodity with a volatile price buy when the price is right.

jonblack
10-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes lead is a liquid asset. You can take it to the scrap yard 5-6 days a week and turn it into cash.

jonblack

9.3X62AL
10-20-2010, 03:50 PM
A portion of mine will be liquid in T-minus 30 minutes and counting.......

Cowboy T
10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
I consider it a liquid asset...when it's in my casting pot! :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, it is an asset to freedom. And that's why I consider it valuable.

adrians
10-24-2010, 03:26 PM
you can bet your cotton socks it is.

fryboy
10-24-2010, 06:54 PM
coming from a vendor sponsor who peddles lead this is a question ? lolz as noted there are several society's in this world , we can break them down into two , those who use lead and those who dont , while the value will vary there will always be some to it , if one reads of the various scores some folks will pay to get rid of it , sadly i dont find those deals [dabnabitman]

" As far as being liquid, I know a few thousand people who'd be willing to liquidate my stash for the right price, so that proves the point.

Gear "

anyone would for the right price (their's not our's ), the question being how many would use it for our purposes and how many would just use it to turn a profit ? while we may use it for barter to take it in anywhere and get true current value for it is rather hard to do , after all that is how the scrap metal folks make their money and unless we want to sell to them it honestly isnt very liquid ( even tho it does get exchanged 'round here with regularity )

GabbyM
10-24-2010, 11:42 PM
I voted yes but.
Lead is a commodity. If you want to be technical about it.
I wish I had some gold and silver coin also. But al my money is tied up in lead.
That’s not so smart but who says I’m smart.

Being a citizen of Illinois where our politicians like Dick Durbin and barrack Obama are not even elected but rather placed into office. It’s to me a hopeless situation. Greenbacks are worthless paper.

What we have is a population of about 17% Communist and 50% don’t have a clue. That leaves the 33% of people who need to get it done. Problem we face is the Communist have a 100% voter turn out plus they vote for people who don’t show up at the polls. It’s the Chicago way you know. You know people if you actually get out and vote they can’t vote for you. It’s not perfect or a cure but it does make it harder for them.

Last laod of 2/6 magnum alloy was $1.38 FOB last week. Highest I ever paid. You must have green backs to buy that. They don't take gold or silver and it makes littel sense to swap lead for lead.

JIMinPHX
10-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Lead is a traded commodity just like silver or gold. The spot price on lead right now is about $1.13/lb. Of course it's a liquid asset.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/Lead.html

JIMinPHX
10-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Lead has day to day uses where gold and silver do not.

Actually, gold has some industrial applications & silver has quite a few. Silver contact points are found in most any switch or relay. Chemical solutions of silver are used for anti bacterial purposes. The list goes on... Gold flashing is sometimes used as a deterrent to oxidation & is also used in some optical applications.

a.squibload
10-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Gold can be recovered by recycling some computer circuit boards.

Suo Gan
10-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Okay, whoever voted "NO" on this poll has WAAAAAY too much lead for their vote to count.

lawboy
10-29-2010, 01:30 PM
It is so liquid I cannot keep any for myself! Sold 1,200lbs at $1/lb in the last month alone. Cash on the barre head. Have orders for another 500lbs that I have not even smelted yet! I'd say that is liquid.
P.S. Bought a nice Les Baer PMII last week, cash. I'll give you one guess where the money for that came from ... !

Rangefinder
11-16-2010, 04:18 AM
I have it, need it, and use it--that makes it an asset. But it's only liquid for a short period of time before it gets conditioned into a solid platform as a usable commodity. Then it becomes transitional from static asset to energized with appreciation, and back to static, hopefully with a percentage if interest drawn from applying it towards variable risks of positive outcome---but usually resulting in leaving a memorable impression on whatever it encounters while in its energized condition, even when a slight loss is taken during the investment. However, depending upon the specific market toward which the initial investment was applied, some losses can occasionally be recovered and circulated back into a rebound investment later, making loss-risk minimal...

How's that for wordy BS for casting, shooting, resmelting, and doing it over again? Spent a little time in the corporate nightmare--sometimes I have relapses, but they pass quickly.
Translation: I buy, sell, and use lead. That means it has a marketable trade value within the circles in which I find myself. Good enough for me.

a.squibload
11-17-2010, 03:34 AM
Whatever it is you just described, I'll buy some!

Rangefinder
11-17-2010, 10:54 AM
That's the beauty of it, Squib! If you're here, then you already have some of that precious commodity of which I ramble! :D

rob45
12-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Is lead the next gold?

If things got really ugly, I suppose it could be considered just as valuable.:-)

DukeInFlorida
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Yes, my lead is certainly part of my net worth.

But just like how many guns I have, and how much ammo, I won't ever divulge how much lead I have.

At some point, all three will be worth more than gold!