PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 Takedown Conversion

Doughty
10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I recently converted a Winchester 94 Angle Eject Trapper to a takedown model. This one was in .45 Colt. Thought it might interest some of you. For more photos and info you can go to my website at:

< LINK DEAD >

scrapcan
10-08-2010, 04:07 PM
aww **** now I have another item I want. This woudl go well with a 24 inch post 64 94 rifle I have.

Doughty
10-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah. And not really just a takedown either, but could also be a switch barrel real easy. A 16" and a 24" or maybe a wildcat. I keep thinking about a .35 on a .45 Colt case. Or maybe a .338.

scrapcan
10-08-2010, 05:17 PM
oh the possibilities! To bad you are as far north as you are. Or maybe it is a good thing you are as far north as you are.

It did not look like you used interrupted threads, just the standard threads and you just unscrew until the beast is loose.

Again maybe it is a good thing you are a bit far north for a couple hour drive.

Tazman1602
10-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Great, just flipping GREAT. Ya' hadda post that didn't you? I was talking to a buddy today and he was looking at a new gun and I told him "I have all the guns I WANT right now..."

GREAT work man!

Just for giggles and grins what would you charge to convert a 30-30 94 AE to an 18" 7-30 Waters takedown?????

ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH! See what I mean? LOL. I look like my Rottweiller with drool coming out of my mouth now.............

Art

Doughty
10-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Tazman,

When I moved to Missoula 3 years ago, I gave up my FFL. So unless you're willing to come to Missoula and spend a few minutes while I remove your barrel, and then come back again when it's time to put the barrel back on, then I couldn't do it.

However, I would think that any gunsmith worth his salt could do the job pretty quick and inexpensively once he had the parts. Anybody who has a lathe and a freezer should be able to do this with few problems.

When my customer came back the second time he was riding a Harley. Turns out he was thinking of more than just easier cleaning.

A couple years ago, I got an extra Marlin 94 barrel from Gun Parts and converted it from a 24" to 16" takedown using this same method. I have all the componets to make the extra barrel but never seem to get the time to put it together. However, whenever I get the chance to just go plink for fun, this is the gun I take, the rest of the time it lives in my truck.

And Taz, that's just what I said.... right before I bought my last gun.

manleyjt,
No interrupted threads. Just unscrew it. Less threads than the original Winchesters which unscrewed the mag tube.

John Taylor
10-08-2010, 07:06 PM
For a minute there I thought you had a source for frame extensions. Nice job.

Ernest
10-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Tazman,

When I moved to Missoula 3 years ago, I gave up my FFL. So unless you're willing to come to Missoula and spend a few minutes while I remove your barrel, and then come back again when it's time to put the barrel back on, then I couldn't do it.

e.

If you are not selling or manufacturing the gun, only working on it, why do you need an FFL? You are just doing repair work with return of the gun to the owner. If the price of the conversion is not very high I'll be you could stay pretty busy doing it and pick up a little $$ along the way :bigsmyl2: That is just altogether neat.

Rico1950
10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
If you work on a firearm other than your own, technicaly, you need an FFL.

Tazman1602
10-11-2010, 07:24 AM
If you are not selling or manufacturing the gun, only working on it, why do you need an FFL? You are just doing repair work with return of the gun to the owner. If the price of the conversion is not very high I'll be you could stay pretty busy doing it and pick up a little $$ along the way :bigsmyl2: That is just altogether neat.

.............you need at LEAST a Gunsmith's FFL in order to work on gun. They're just like a regular FFL and when a gun comes in it gets logged in the book and when it's returned to the customer it gets logged out of "The Book".

..........and you have to KEEP that book for a minimum of ten years (maybe 20 now...) and be ready to surrender it to BATFE at any time they ask.

Doughty is correct, if I bring my rifle to him and stand there while he does the work no problem but he would need a FFL in order to ship it back to me.

Same thing with cast boolits. I can't sell any that I have because my FFL does not cover ammunition manufacturing and that is a fact -- ok stupid indeed but it's still the way it works.

No offense intended man, FFL issues get me all worked up and grumpy.

Reloading -- if you bring me your brass and bullets and stand there I can reload for you and charge you for my services. If I want to sell reloads I need a manufacturing FFL, compy with ITAR regs AND tax and pay a boatload in liability insurance.

Liability insurance is what drove me out of the gunsmithing business years ago. Like everything else you have to be big with big money to do anything mom and pop anymore.

Legally I can't even sell any of my darn chickens without complying to USDA inspections etc.

............and I remember a day when wife I needed milk we went to a local farmer and got pure cow's milk then processed it ourselves. Try that one today...........

OK, now Doughty, maybe it's time for me to take a vacation to Missoula..............<GRIN>. Headstock on my lathe isn't big enough to take a blasted barrel!!! MAN that is nice work!

Art

redneckdan
10-11-2010, 08:07 AM
can this be done on a marlin 336?

winelover
10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
can this be done on a marlin 336?

Brian Pierce did an article in one of the gun rags, a few years ago, on a take down version of a Marlin. I believe it was a 1894 SS and the neat feature was that you could leave the magazine tube LOADED! He had it done up so as to transport legally across state lines with less hassle than a handgun. Of course it was pricey.:violin:

Winelover

Doughty
10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Taz,
I did the work on this one between centers.

Redneck,
I haven't done one on a 336, but I am sure that it can be done.