PDA

View Full Version : Need for Speed?

Matt3357
10-08-2010, 11:09 AM
I am looking to drop a few hints for a chronograph for Christmas and I think I have one picked out, but I'd like your 2 cents.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=852429

Everything I have read about it is positive. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

David2011
10-08-2010, 11:51 AM
That's what I have and it does everything I really need a chronograph to do. I just wish it would power off automatically after 20 or 30 minutes of inactivity. Be sure to keep a spare battery in the space provided. It's saved me from having to make a trip to buy one several times.

David

mold maker
10-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I've got one that's over 16 yr old and still functions like the day I got it.
Ya just have to be really careful not to shoot any of them the face. Even a loose GC at 12' will do the readout in.
Don't ask!!

chasw
10-12-2010, 08:41 AM
The model CE model shown lacks the remote display, a must for older eyes and dark days. That accessory cost another $90 and brings the total cost to about $200. My Master model Shooting Chrony provides the same features, including remote display, for about half the cost.

Shooting Chrony is the only brand of chronograph I've ever owned - 3 devices in all. The first ended up being neatly pierced lengthwise by a .30 caliber jacketed bullet. The second, with its LCD display on the front of the unit, similar to the CE model Matt references, ended up almost unreadable due to repeated hits on the display with bits of debris from departing cast boolits, so I traded it in for a new master model with the remote display.

Now I'm a happy camper, the velocity for each shot is displayed at the bench. I make out a little card with load data for each cartridge I take to the range and I write the velocities for each shot on the card, so I don't need a printer or computer interface. - CW

AZ-Stew
10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Chrony Gamma Master is about $200 and includes remote display and printer. For an extra $25-30 get the leather case to hold it all. Well worth it.

Regards,

Stew

RP
10-12-2010, 04:26 PM
One fellow here make a shield to protect his and I think he use some mirrors to see the readout you will have to use enough to make it read right not backwards one mirror reverses another turns it back and so on. I like the protection ideal if you have the same luck as my you will too. As far as the readout for the money I use a scope to see the numbers just act like your looking at a target lol.

TonyM
10-18-2010, 03:15 AM
I have the RCBS Ammo Master. It's cheaply made (ALL plastic). I've shot through the hull once, I've shot the shade holder things (Again, ALL plastic), and have nicked the top of the start/stop plastic inserts. All of that being said (With replacement shade holder arms at $10), it still works great... and gives me all the data I need.

It comes with a remote (Infact, its the only way you can really use it IMO) and is REALLY easy to use... and it was $119 at our local Sportsmans WH...

Here is a link to it from midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=911572&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Shooting%20-%20Range%20Supplies%20%26%20Equipment-_-PriceCompListing-_-911572

It is kind of hokey looking, thats for sure... and next time around, I may buy something a little different in the same price point.... but for the money.... It's hard to beat IMO...

Mal Paso
10-23-2010, 11:36 PM
I like the Shooting Chrony Alpha Master with Remote Display for $100 from Midway.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=306796
Now that we figured how to get reliable results:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95934

cajun shooter
10-24-2010, 09:12 AM
The CED's are very nice tools. If it's possible to step up to the top model you get much more for what you spend. These are not good times and for the past three years we have sold a lot of things to buy others. Even the top model which I purchased has extra's to buy if shooting indoors or on very cloudy days.