PDA

View Full Version : Heavy bullet 32 mag

bedford
10-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Ok, I'm cheating here a little. I reload, but have never casted, I use cast bullets. I ran into some 120 rnfp in 32 that I bought for a ruger ss, 32 mag. Reloading data seems non existent for actual magnum loadings. Years ago I hot rodded some 85 grain jhp's and my gun seemed to digest them no problems. Does anyone have any true mag loadings for this heavier bullet? I don't have a chrony, so if you got this data from a published source I'd appreciate knowing, or if it's your own research.

Thanks

Hickory
10-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I got in the NOE group buy mould 314-129 the flatpoint drops at 127 grs.
I load these in my 32 Mag with 3.4grs of unique.
You can start out at 3.0 grs and work up.

Oh, by the way WELCOME and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Larry Gibson
10-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Out of my 6 1/2" Ruger Single Six under the 311316GC 118 gr bullet:

10.5 gr of H110 runs 1200+ fps

8 gr of 2400 runs 1150+ fps

Use at your own discretion with your bullet - suggest dropping a couple gr and work up.

Larry Gibson

Rusty W
10-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I purchased a couple single sixe's a few months ago and ran into the same problem. I purchased the NOE 313640 mold and am just starting loads for it. Here's some info I've found, maybe it'll help.
http://www.castpics.net/articles.htm
http://www.reloadammo.com/32hr-mag.htm

EOD3
10-08-2010, 10:34 AM
LaserCast sells a 115 grain for the 32. IIRC: I've been loading them in 32 Mag with 10.0 grains of H110.

I've also used Lil Gun but I can't remember the load.

Landric
10-15-2010, 10:39 AM
The only > than 100 grain bullet I have tried in .32 H&R Magnum is the Speer Gold Dot 115 grain intended for the .327 Federal. 8 grains of 2400 got me a 1007 fps average out of my 4 5/8" Single Six. I would expect higher velocities with a cast boolit.

We have a group buy scheduled for production by NOE in February for a 115 grain Keith .32 Cal. A 314429 if you will, that I plan on making my standard boolit for use in my Single Six, S&W 431 and 432 PDs, and any other .32 cal revolvers I acquire.

bedford
10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
What is the group buy you are talking about? How does it work? Thanks

Landric
10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
The group buy for that mould is actually closed. However, it doesn't go into production until February of next year. The mould maker is Night Owl Enterprises (NOE), Swede Nelson on this site. You might contact him directly and see if there is a way for you to get in on the buy if your are interested, or see if he has any extra moulds left over after shipment. Here is the link to the buy:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=79848

9.3X62AL
10-16-2010, 02:14 PM
I have been reluctant to hot-rod the 32 Magnum much past factory maximums in my revolvers--formerly a Ruger SSM, now a S&W Model 16-4 x 6". Lately, I've started pushing the envelope a bit--and have found that a couple boolits actually get more accurate when kicked out harder than "factory" levels.

One of these is Lyman #313631--a 100 grain SWC/GC--which shoots tighter groups the faster I run it. This boolit was unimpressive at 1000-1100 FPS, but when run to 1200-1300 FPS it REALLY tightened things up downrange.

Same story with a Mountain Molds 120 grain plain-base and revolver-specific design I cobbled up--it didn't do JACK at 850-1000 FPS, but once across the 1100 FPS threshold it improved markedly.

At some point, I'll push the envelope further. Correspondents of mine are running 85 grain j-words past 1400 FPS in short-barrelled SP-101s very safely, and assert that the 32 Magnum is capable of equalling 327 Federal performance with complete safety. I'm not sure I agree with that last statement, but these sources aren't reckless hotrodders--so there could be something to their assertions.

bedford
10-16-2010, 06:36 PM
When I first bought mine, a gunwriter, Skeeter Skelton was loading the 85 gr JHP from hornady over 9 gr of AA#7. I started at just over 7 grains and went up. I don't have a chrono, always buying another gun instead so I don't know what it did, velocity wise, but it gets there damn fast. The primers were flattening, but not flowing and ejection was just like a dog fart load. Cept for the it smells part. I got out of the shooting business for years, and am now getting interested again. My girl loves shooting the 32, but she want's a double action. I'm looking, but I just for my first 1911, a springfield loaded and I might just have to have another one of them first.

Thanks for all your help guys, keep em coming

canyon-ghost
10-16-2010, 07:01 PM
:coffee: Just came in from a casting session, I have a couple of loads for 32 magnum. Worked these up for a lighter 98 grain RCBS boolit.

2.0 or 1.9 grains of Bullseye
1.4 grains Bullseye

I took this from all the way to the very bottom to the point where it spread too much. It doesn't shoot below 1.4 grains(where it groups beautifully at 50 meters).
And then, again at 1.9 grains out at 100 meters. There's just not a slow or subsonic way to shoot it from a short barrelled revolver.

Just load 5 rounds of each 1/10th grain increment and fire a five target load test, repeat twice, then the third time to verify the load. But, then again, I live very close to the shooting range.

Recommend setting the crimp die to crimp lightly, not hard, that does help.

Maybe that'll help ya out some,
Ron

excess650
10-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I loaded Lyman 311008 118gr over AA#7 in my S&W Model 16. AA lists 6gr (100gr swc) as the MAX load at 20K cup, but I worked up from there. The S&W and Ruger will handle more, but make small increases and watch for pressure signs.

9.3X62AL
10-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Ruger has begun making their SP-101, GP-100, and Blackhawk revolvers in 327 Federal. I want to see who else besides Federal decides to make brass in this caliber before I get a gun in this chambering. The SP-101 is a 6-shot, the GP-100 is a seven-shooter, and the BH has an eight-shot cylinder.

Landric
10-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I really hope Starline gets into making 327 Federal brass. The cartridge really interests me, but I'm also hoping for a couple other different guns so chambered. I would really like to see a Single-Six sized 6-shot and an Airweight/Airlite/LCR 6-shot snubbie.

The steel, small frame guns are fine for the range, home defense, and general carry, but I'd like a lightweight 327 for pocket and/or ankle carry as my on-duty BUG. As for the Single-Six, as much as I like the Blackhawk I find the 327 version to be too bulky for my needs (that might change if it was offered with a shorter barrel).

If nothing changes in the 327 market I'll probably end up with a 3" SP101 eventually, but unless the brass situation improves I might eventually get stuck feeding it .32 H&R Magnum.

9.3X62AL
10-17-2010, 01:01 PM
S&W has a couple Model 632 variants in 327 Federal--a 2"+ DAO and a 3" with exposed hammer. Weight on the shorter-tubed variant is 23 oz, and it's all-stainless. 6-shot.

Dunno what Starline's position on 327 Federal brass is at present. Apparently, their runs of 7.62 x 38R Nagant brass were a problematic bee-otch, and their experiences with that caliber made them initially reluctant to take on the 327 caliber. I'm not real keen on having to buy high-dollar factory loads to create brass for reloading. Winchester White Box or Remington-UMC generic, OK--but Steak And Lobster Factory Ammo ain't happening hereabouts.

My own thoughts on a 327 Federal revolver involve field usage and open carry. I have a bevy of CCW and felon-repeller sideirons on hand at present, and want at least 35 caliber for that venue. The SP-101 with 4" barrel and adjustable sights--the GP-100 with 6" tubing--and the Blackhawk with Bisley grip and 7.5" barrel would be more to my liking. I think both S&W and Ruger have the CCW market blanketed, and need to do a little more for the hunters and range rats. The present 327 offerings are step in the right direction, but strike me as a half-measure or compromise.

MT Gianni
10-17-2010, 11:13 PM
One that interests me though I would have to see it is the Charter Arms Tracker. Stainless 6 shot 4" bbl with target sights it could prove to be a shooter. I would much rather see a 5" bbl or a 5" bbl in the sp101, but it is the most interesting one to me so far.

Landric
10-18-2010, 08:10 AM
My desire for a lightweight 327 is fueled mostly by the fact that I carry my on-duty BUG in an ankle holster. The heavier steel guns are just too much for a 12 hour shift (for me). On the other hand, I have no problem at all with the Airweight guns in the same role, they are just enough lighter. I'm willing to go with 327 Federal over .38 Special or .357 Magnum because of the extra round. The capacity isn't really what concerns me, its the qualification course that is based on six round strings. There is a special course for 5-shot revolvers, but finding time to run it while doing regular qualifications (or getting an instructor out to the range some other time) can be a real problem. On the other hand, with a six shot gun I can shoot at the same time as another relay of shooters qualifying with their duty weapons. I know the 327 is basically unproven on the street, but the numbers are good enough that I'm willing to carry it (and hopefully never have to be part of making its reputation, positive or negative, when it comes to real world effectiveness). The only factory load that interests me for defensive use is the 115 grain Gold Dot, the other loads don't have heavy enough bullets IMO.

For use other than carry, I'd love to see a lever-action carbine in 327 Federal. That would make it a real screamer. Now, if we can just get Starline to make the brass...

EOD3
10-18-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm with Landric, a "woods walker" in 327 would be dandy for popping ground rats and the occasional singing mutt. I would like to try an Encore 15" pistol barrel with a pointy 110 to 130 grain V-Max. :smile:

exile
10-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I have a Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal. For lack of .327 brass, I have been loading the .32 magnum with the 90 grain Lee boolit with 7.5 grains of AA # 9 (see Handloader magazine, # 265, page 30). Lubed with equal parts Lee Liquid Alox, mineral spirits, and Johnson's Paste Wax, these have produced no leading at all. However, someone gave me a small quantity of 115 grain RNFP boolits intended for the .32-20 cartridge. Would anyone care to hazard a guess about a load for these in the .32 mag with AA # 9? I have been thinking of maybe starting at 6.2 grains, but I am not sure? Thanks.

exile

exile
10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I just found this link (again). There are some loads here for the .32 H & R magnum and the 115 grain RNFP boolit and AA # 9:

http://www.reloadammo.com/32hr-mag.htm

exile

9.3X62AL
10-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Landric et al--

Yeah, brass availability will make or break the 327 Federal caliber. These days, ANY of the mid-caliber handgun rounds are a reloader's bailiwick, considering the cost and scarcity of loaded ammo.

I have no experience with any of the Ruger Blackhawks in 32-20, but I understand they were fully capable of digesting rifle-strength high-velocity loads without a problem. They can't be much different than the 30 Carbine BH variants, which digest the 35K PSI+ 30 M1C loads very well.

If I interpret ballistic results correctly, the 327 Federal in factory trim is very close to the performance level of the HV rifle-level 32-20 loads in one of the Ruger/Buckeye BH variants. I sure as h--l wouldn't stand downrange while those were being sent my way! The 327 is easily the most capable 32 handgun caliber now extant, and its rim does away with the occasional issue present in the 30 Carbine BHs--poor ignition due to less-than-ideal fit in the chamber. (Note--I intentionally DID NOT use the highly volatile and instantly incendiary term HEADSPACE regarding this matter.) My Nomex coveralls are at the cleaners, and won't be back until Friday.

MT Gianni
10-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Al, somewhere i have a Handloader in which Ross Seyfreid wrote about the Bisley in 32 H&R. Those loads are stout, perhaps beyond the 32-20 loads mentioned. It does let us know about the strength of the brass, but nothing was mentioned about how many firings it lasted.

MT Gianni
10-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I believe there are custom gunsmiths replacing the 32 H&R cylinder with one for 327 Fed and triming a few thousandths off the bbl on a single six. Bowen claims no downloading os needed for the gun.

9.3X62AL
10-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Gianni. Just what I needed to hear. NOT! :)

A few people whose reloading skills and judgement I trust have run the 32 Magnum into the 327 Federal's toll-free dialing area, and both they and their revolvers emerged unscathed. This winter, I may start in that direction slowly with the S&W 16-4.

I'm not certain that you gain a lot in terms of usability by doing so--the range of game sizes stays constant, though trajectory flatness is enhanced and the max range might be extended a bit. One quirk I did note as I got closer to top-end SAAMI pressures was that both the Lyman #313631 (100 grain SWC/GC and a Mountain Molds 120 grain plain-base I cobbled up for the 32-20 wheelers gained accuracy as I sped them up. That might be worth exploiting. Of course, the old stand-by RCBS 98 SWC shoots so well from 700-1200 FPS......it will be very hard for any boolit to compete with its performance to date.

Landric
10-20-2010, 07:40 PM
If anyone is interested, the 32 Cal 115 grain Keith group buy is open again. Here is the link, brought to us by the fine folks at NOE:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=96126