PDA

View Full Version : Ready for 2010 hunting season, I think!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Well, haven't arrived at the groups I want as yet, but don't think there is any critters around that will know the difference.

This Winter or next Spring, I need to pick up some 322 and give that a try, but RL7 gets the nod for this Fall.

A very kind contributer here on the forum helped with the donation of some Felix lube, which if not totally doing away with the occasional flier, sure didn't hurt!

Please note, I am not trying to make a 458 from my #1, but have just followed the groups to this point and if higher velocities followed, so be it.

Looked like 50gr of IMR4198 was going to be the one, with velocity of about 2160, that is until I did a test last week with RL7.

Equal or better groups and the RL7 put the 355gr LBT/WFN down the tube at 2290FPS.

One strange thing during the RL7 test showed up in the velocities during the tests.

Using Hornady data for their 350gr "J" bullet, I found that the use of the cast boolit gave a sizable increase in velocity, but the strangest thing was the lowest load gave the highest velocity figures.

RL7 w/ 355gr LBT/WFN --ww w/20%linotype, quenched -- Felix lube ---------------

53gr. -- 2506fps
54gr 2340fps
55gr 2290fps
55.5gr 2308fps

55gr gave the best group centered at 3" high..

Cases show NO pressue signs, and fall from the chamber.

In the years since I started using a chronograph, I have seen velocities start to become eratic as pressures increase with some powders, but don't ever recall this situation.

One thing I have found while testing the 45/70 loads this past few months is, velocities seem to be quite consistant within test groups. It is not at all uncommon to have 2 shots with the exact same reading during a 5 shot group and the rest are usually close.

Sure hope to "put it on" a critter or two during the season that starts next week.

The freezer is defrosted and waiting! :castmine:[smilie=w::cbpour:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot