PDA

View Full Version : 500gr Lee mould

Bubba w/a 45/70
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Just received my Lee mould today in the mail, started playing with it tonight, and am very happry with the way the boolits look on the towel. I'll have to wait to see how they shoot this weekend.

They will be coming out the barrel of a H&R Buff Classic for hitting long range targets 200-900 yards out there.

I'm hoping that they at least don't completely disappoint me.

Four Fingers of Death
09-21-2006, 06:44 AM
They are a nice looking mould. I keep the Lee catalogue by my bed amongst the gun mags and I have spent many hours studying the mould page. I can't understand why I haven't bought the lot after doing years of this. MIck.

Wayne Smith
09-21-2006, 07:47 AM
They are a nice looking mould. I keep the Lee catalogue by my bed amongst the gun mags and I have spent many hours studying the mould page. I can't understand why I haven't bought the lot after doing years of this. MIck.

Easy, Mick - Not enough guns - yet!

dk17hmr
09-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Which 500gr mold did you get? I have been having great luck with the 500gr rnfpgc bullet out of my Handi with my BC barrel. I havent tried to hard yet with the pointed bullet to get them to shoot out of my 45-70.

With the Gas Check 500gr I use 16.8gr of Trail Boss I am getting tight clover leafs at 50 yards and slightly bigger clover leafs at 100 yards, although I have a 10x scope on mine.

Bubba w/a 45/70
09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
459-500-3R (pointed one)

This is for shooting at the steel targets, so I can't use gas checks on my bullets. If it was strictly for hunting, then I would have possibly went with a GC on it.

I'm hoping that it will perform decentlly for me, if not...well I don't have all that much stuckinto the mold and I have one that I can just play with then.

Forgot to add that a scope is akin to being an infidel!!!!! :smile: This gun has a tang sight on it now, just like one that would be seen on a sharps, rolling block, ect., for the long range work that I do with it. Even a scope is pretty useless when changing your shooting ranges from 200 to 900+ yards (and everything in between).

dk17hmr
09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
I bought mine for hunting purposes most of the shots I take are from 45-85 yards on deer, granted a 10x isnt need but I got a steal of a deal on the scope.

My old man has a Sharps with the tang sight for long range steel and paper hunting, so I figure if I am going to do long range with a 45-70 I can use his. I wanted a 45-70 so I can load a little hotter for hunting then my old man likes to have his loads target loads.