PDA

View Full Version : KRAP! SAECO died.

Bret4207
10-07-2010, 07:10 AM
It's been raining steadily here for about 2 months. I've fixed everything I can that doesn't require me getting soaking wet. So I thought I'd give the SAECO BP another test yesterday. Plugged the old girl in and "fizzzt". One of the leads to the heating element broke off at the end of the element! So far everything I've tried results in popped breakers.

Can anyone with a SAECO or Lyman 61 pot look and tell me if the lead into the element itself appears to be part of the element or (what I believe) a bolt or stud run into the element please? Hooking a line to the outside of the element results in a short, I'm thinking there's a "core" to the element that keeps that from happening.

Another reason to hate BP's!

Matt3357
10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/articles/aaronb/heating_element_replacement.html

Check this out. This guy had the same problems. It shows how to fix it, but if you don't want to mess with it, I'll trade some green backs for it.

Matt

Bret4207
10-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks Matt, but I already got it fixed. If anyone else is wondering, the heating element is made up of a steel tube containing some ceramic and a small steel rod. That rod is of a very hard steel and that's what broke. It's the actual heat source I think. It's 1/8" or a little larger, about 12 ga or so. I took a Dremel cut off wheel and cut the outside tube and then split it lengthwise. That allowed me to leave a stub about an inch long to attach my wiring to. The only issue I had was breaking off the old bolts that connect everything. I replaced then, but be aware there are tiny ceramic "buttons" just behind the thermostat that may fall out and be lost, in which case you either find an alternative or remove that strap it sits in. My alternative didn't work well, so I'll remove the strap and space the whole assembly out a bit to avoid contact.

The only other issue is that common wiring melts in the heat. That part I'm working on.

Typecaster
10-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Bret—
I think that the wiring from a discarded toaster or waffle iron could be used. There's got to be some wire with high-temp insulation between the line cord and the nichrome element. That could be used as the jumpers between the element and the thermostat and element and line cord.

I'm thinking we might need to use crimp connectors rather than wire nuts because of the heat. You can probably tell I'm rewiring a SAECO BP as well…

Richard

Bret4207
10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Yupper, I used common auto crimps for mine, figured if the plastic melts it's no biggie, it's the metal that counts. I'm also finding standard household fiberglass insulation can;t take that kind of heat. I'm hoping to rig both my SAECOs to run, one above the other, to over come the tiny 10lbs capacity. My ladle pots holds 30+ lbs so I feel limited.

AggieEE
10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Bret,
You might want to consider teflon insulated wire, however, DO NOT allow it to reach 300*F or higher. It breaks down into some very nasty posionous fumes. Second idea look up Chromalox on the internet they make heaters like that used on your Saeco. I don't remember offhand what their discription of that type of heater is but they do have pictures. If you know the voltage, wattage, shape and heat range PM me I think I have a Chromalox catalog floating around the shop here someplace. There are other heater makers out there it's just a matter of finding them and learning their language as to what they call their heater types.
Dale

Mk42gunner
10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Check the junk pile at your friendly neighborhood used appliance repairman for high temp wire. Electric stoves use it from the control to the heating element.

Worth a try, anyway.

Robert

Bret4207
10-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, those are good suggestions. McMaster-Carr was also mentioned in a PM I recv'd as a source for insulation.

Didn't someone use a dimmer or rheostat of some sort as a thermostat? The one on my second pot is gone. I'd love a PID controller, but that's a bit rich for my blood at the moment.

OldBob
10-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Avoid wire nuts unless you can find some of the old ceramic ones......... the plastic ones melt.... don't ask ! I used the crimps that are normally used for submersible pumps...the second time around.

jsizemore
10-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Next time you try to hook up your element, turn a loop or hook into the end of the elements conductor and use a nut and bolt with a couple of washers to attach your wire. Old stoves are a good source of supplies for repairing your pot.