PDA

View Full Version : Ruger .45 LC rifling depth?

Changeling
10-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know the rifling depth that Ruger uses in there 45LC Black Hawk revolvers? I realize this is a slightly variable question, but they must order there reamers from someone with standards, therefore the question. This is important to me!

44man
10-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Does anyone know the rifling depth that Ruger uses in there 45LC Black Hawk revolvers? I realize this is a slightly variable question, but they must order there reamers from someone with standards, therefore the question. This is important to me!
Barrels are button rifled after reaming so rifling depth will be close on all barrels of around .003".
What they are reamed to is a good question. Since Ruger makes a BH convertible that also uses a .45 ACP cylinder, did they go smaller for the bore to try to get both the ACP and the Colt to work somewhat?
My Vaquero measures .4516" with a slug pushed through, groove to groove. A BH here measures .4508".
I would also be interested in what other BH's measure.
I am not sure the tighter bore is a detriment yet unless it deforms the boolit too much.
By the way, the BH has NO tight spots, is smooth and clean and after many, many boolits did not have a single speck of lead in the bore. A little carbon is all I get.
Throats are .4525" and I use .452" boolits, yet I am having trouble getting tight groups. Cylinder alignment is perfect.
I understand what Changeling is asking, I am seeing it.

S.R.Custom
10-07-2010, 09:59 AM
...Since Ruger makes a BH convertible that also uses a .45 ACP cylinder, did they go smaller for the bore to try to get both the ACP and the Colt to work somewhat?...

Actually, in relation to the groove diameter, the bore is frequently larger, and I never cared for the .45LC in modern handguns for this very reason. The rifling is too shallow, making accuracy w/ lead bullets at higher velocities difficult to obtain in otherwise perfect revolvers.

44man
10-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Actually, in relation to the groove diameter, the bore is frequently larger, and I never cared for the .45LC in modern handguns for this very reason. The rifling is too shallow, making accuracy w/ lead bullets at higher velocities difficult to obtain in otherwise perfect revolvers.
I believe you are right, rifling is too shallow.
The BFR revolvers run from .004" to .005" rifling depth depending on caliber and this Ruger is actually a little under .003" by a ten thousandths. (.0029")
Maybe making some very hard boolits will make it shoot better.
My Vaquero has rifling depth of .0043".

Grapeshot
10-07-2010, 12:57 PM
The SAMMI specs are still in the 19th century as far as the .45 Colt is concerned. Yeah, the bore diameter and rifling depth changed some, but the ratio seemed to stay the same. I had an 1878 Colt DA .45 and the lands were very narrow and the depth of the rifling wasn't very deep at all. The fact that it was a Black Powder only gun did not help in the accuracy department on THAT PARTICULAR firearm at all.

My 25-5 S&W had oversized chamber throats that forced me to use .454 hollow based bullets to get good accuracy with lead bullets. My Colt Annaconda in .45 Colt seems to have solved the problem as it shoots lead and jacketed bullets equally accurate.

Haven't tried any of the newer S&W's yet. My GW2 and Old model Dakota SAA's are real tack drivers with lead bullets and that's all I ever shoot out of them and the cast lead slugs are sized at .454 for both of them.

44man
10-07-2010, 02:31 PM
It is crazy with the .45 Colt to be sure. Now my Vaquero needed the throats reamed because they were too small and this is what I get at 50 yards after fixing the gun.
One group with the Lee and the other with the Lyman.

44man
10-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I just started the lead pot so I can dump the WW metal and add my harder alloy. I don't know if there will be enough time until the owner comes to shoot for the boolits to get hard enough.