PDA

View Full Version : Cast Load for Garand

AlaskaMike
09-20-2006, 02:40 PM
After enjoying my first cast loads in my 03/A3, I'd like to start doing some with my Garand. I was thinking that my current load of 22 grains of IMR 4227 under a 311334 might be a good starting point, and then I'd just work up the charge until I got the action operating reliably. It would be nice to get some confirmation from the more experience folks before I start down that road, however.

Does my plan sound like a good one? Anyone have any pet loads for their Garand using IMR 4227? (I searched this forum and didn't find anything mentioning 4227)

Thanks,
Mike

BruceB
09-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Mike;

I have a strong suspicion that you'll get to max chamber pressure with 4227 before you get good cycling from the Garand. In my M1A (M-14 copy) with its gas port MUCH closer to the chamber, 4227 was "sorta" OK but there are better ones to use. The Garand will be worse due to its gasport location. In my Garand, I've found at least a half-dozen powders which function the rifle very well. You will find them if you search as suggested below.

Go the search function in the toolbar at the top of each page, and type in "Garand". There's quite a bit of info. Among others, you'll find the "BobS load", which is the direct opposite of your 4227 proposal....it uses the slow-burning H4831 under a heavy cast bullet and works VERY well. Also, 4895 (the original Garand powder) works great starting around the 35-36-grain area.

Enjoy!