PDA

View Full Version : My first Beagled mold

wallenba
10-06-2010, 03:49 PM
My # 081 Saeco 8mm mold was dropping boolits that were .322-.326. I need .324 for my K98 (.323 bore). Since the minor diameter was 90* to the parting line it was a perfect candidate. Using 3M 600* foil tape I followed John Goins instructions and got some excellant results first time out. I do have some light finning on the nose of some. They don't seem to come from one cavity in particular though (2 cav) but seems to be random. Sometimes they are both perfect or both finned. I can't figure out the reason for it, whether it's the pour technique or my handle hold. The fins knock off real easy, and I can live with it if it's normal, but I'd like to fix it if it can be fixed. I'm thinking of removing the horizontal Beagling strip between the pins. Will that help or not? Any ideas.

10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Beagling may require a bit of experimenting, but it always works.

I have an RCBS that will be beagled, this evening.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I did that to two of my molds. I found that temperature of the mix and pressure on the handles made a difference. If I try pressure casting, it really leaves fins. It seems the hotter the lead, the more fin I have also. I'm new to casting, so all I know is what has happend to me.

Doby45
10-06-2010, 08:27 PM
When I beagle my molds I place small pieces between the cavities as close to the top/sprue side of the mold blocks. I do not get tape anywhere near the lower half of the cavity because I am usually only trying to increase the diameter of the driving bands, this also prevents finning near the tip of the boolit.

wallenba
10-06-2010, 11:10 PM
When I beagle my molds I place small pieces between the cavities as close to the top/sprue side of the mold blocks. I do not get tape anywhere near the lower half of the cavity because I am usually only trying to increase the diameter of the driving bands, this also prevents finning near the tip of the boolit.

I'll try that next. My vertical strips run nearly to the top on the sides of the cavities, and to just below the noses. Should I trim them back to the crimp groove then?

Doby45
10-06-2010, 11:12 PM
That would be a good start and see where you go from there. I normally do mine just past the lube groove about half way through the second drive band, one a single lube groove boolit.

wallenba
10-06-2010, 11:14 PM
That would be a good start and see where you go from there. I normally do mine just past the lube groove about half way through the second drive band, one a single lube groove boolit.

Ok, tomorrow then. thanks Doby. Signing off now