75gr(by volume) of pyrodex is ok idk about triple 7

Grapeshot
10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
what about pyrodex RS and triple 7 in the .577-450
that stuff is easier to get here with only one gun shop where i live
and i have to order black powder and pay a big hazmat fee from the only place
that sells goex blackpowder here i know that
75gr(by volume) of pyrodex is ok idk about triple 7

You might want to back off the 777 as it is about 15% hotter than BP or Prodex at the same volume. Other than that, you should be doing just fine. I've used Pyrodex for over 30 years in place of BP. I have used 777 in .44-40 and .45 Colt with good results as long a I load it as directed by Manufacture.

cajun shooter
10-07-2010, 08:53 AM
You don't say where you live but I know that shooters who live in open areas of the west are able to purchase BP. If you only shoot 50 rounds a month then use your subs but I have never bought into the arguement that it is hard to buy. I got into a small difference of opinon's with Capt. George Baylor who shoots SASS as I do. It burns a lot of powder shooting three matches a month with side matches and all. I asked him why he didn't shoot the real thing instead of the subs that he always writes about. He said he lives in Houston,Texas and would have to drive 20 miles across Houston to find it.I advised him that I drove 5 hours roundtrip to purchase mine. If that fails then Fed-EX brings it in.

camerl2009
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
well theres only 2 importers of goex powder here in canada and the hazmat
fee from the one here in ontario is big so i only order it in the max we
can order 15lb at a time if i dont order it i have to drive 220 miles to get the stuff.
and its cheaper for me to buy pyrodex local then to buy the real stuff dont get me
wrong im going to load the real stuff but its easyer to get pyrodex then anything

August
10-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I shot with a guy at a two day match a couple of weeks ago who used pyrodex in all his guns.

I have never smelled such an obnoxious odor before in my life. I got stuck ROing the guy a couple of times and could not breath. That is some awful stuff.

I shoot real black powder. Get it from the distributor via green truck. Pay the Hazmat fee. Save over buying locally by a significant amount.

I, too, have never understood the "I can't get it here" argument, except when a guy is just experimenting and wants one can.

Substitute formulations for black powder are vexations to the spirit.

martinibelgian
10-08-2010, 11:57 AM
To answer your question - I'm not really a big fan of using it in 577-450: this is a pretty cavernous case with lots of powder capacity, and a bottleneck design. If you follow the manufacturer's recommendations (which are fine for the conventional 45-70's and other), you might run into overload risk. After all, it is a smokeless powder with a higher energy content.
As to Pyrodex, I haven't used it - but read various reports from fellow shooters that it is much more corrosive than BP ever was, and I wouldn't subject a vintage collectible firearm (just thinking of something like a 577-450 military Martini...) with a less than perfect bore (as they almost all have) to such a risk. OTOH? I have no qualms shooting real BP through my Martini's.
I'd have to agree with the posters advocating the real stuff - especially if you're shooting an original. MUCH easier and safer...

camerl2009
10-08-2010, 01:58 PM
like i said only 2 place's here in canada for real BP ones in ontario and
the other ones on the oother side of the country i can only get it in 15lb lots
and only own 15lb at a time that is for somkeless and BP and the hazmat fee
is like $40 each time. so pyrodex for plinking but idk i gess i can see what i con get i do still have about 3lb of ffg

martinibelgian
10-09-2010, 02:58 AM
That FFg will do, no issues - and maybe you could do a group buy with some friends to get a bigger quantity and amortize the Hazmat fee? Don't forget, 3lbs would be about 250-270 shots only, with 85 grains each pull of the trigger...

camerl2009
10-09-2010, 06:31 AM
That FFg will do, no issues - and maybe you could do a group buy with some friends to get a bigger quantity and amortize the Hazmat fee? Don't forget, 3lbs would be about 250-270 shots only, with 85 grains each pull of the trigger...

we cant do a group buy only 15lb at a time but still better becuse
i can get 1234 shots out of 15lb of fg.

AviatorTroy
10-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Real Black is a little harder to get. But I hate Pyrodex. It's like a chinese Rolex.

Sometimes Bass Pro Shops has black, so if you have one near you, try them.

cajun shooter
10-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Please do not put Pyrodex in any antique rifle. It is so corrosive in certain climates that I saw a gun have surface rust the next morning. 777 is very strong and could cause damage if used wrong. If a gun was made to shoot BP then you already have your answer as to what to use in it.

camerl2009
10-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Real Black is a little harder to get. But I hate Pyrodex. It's like a chinese Rolex.

Sometimes Bass Pro Shops has black, so if you have one near you, try them.

nope dont live near bass pro
there's only one of them in canada

mooman76
10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
I tried American Pioneer powder in my 45-70 and it did ok. I believe I tried Pyrodex also but not for sure. I have used it in my BP muzzle loaders with no issues. I always clean my guns good right after I shoot. It should do ok for plinking.

camerl2009
10-23-2010, 07:24 PM
I tried American Pioneer powder in my 45-70 and it did ok. I believe I tried Pyrodex also but not for sure. I have used it in my BP muzzle loaders with no issues. I always clean my guns good right after I shoot. It should do ok for plinking.

how is that american pioneer stuff i was thinking about
this stuff to is it as bad for eating cases or what

Grapeshot
10-26-2010, 05:35 PM
"how is that american pioneer stuff i was thinking about
this stuff to is it as bad for eating cases or what" - camerl2009-

APP, American Pioneer Powder is a BP Substitute that has its following. It cleans up with water, or soapy water with no problems. You would be best served by tossing your brass into a jug of soapy water after you fire them. APP can and will corrode your brass if you do not take steps to clean them up after firing.

Any powder you use that employs Potassium Nitrate as its oxidizer will require you to clean your brass. Be it Black Powder, Pyrodex, APP, Clean Shot or what ever, hot soapy water nutralizes the corroding salts in the powder residue and preserves the usefullness of your cartridge cases.

camerl2009
10-28-2010, 12:40 PM
"how is that american pioneer stuff i was thinking about
this stuff to is it as bad for eating cases or what" - camerl2009-

APP, American Pioneer Powder is a BP Substitute that has its following. It cleans up with water, or soapy water with no problems. You would be best served by tossing your brass into a jug of soapy water after you fire them. APP can and will corrode your brass if you do not take steps to clean them up after firing.

Any powder you use that employs Potassium Nitrate as its oxidizer will require you to clean your brass. Be it Black Powder, Pyrodex, APP, Clean Shot or what ever, hot soapy water nutralizes the corroding salts in the powder residue and preserves the usefullness of your cartridge cases.

can i use blackpowder solvent to clean wen hunting

The Double D
10-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Why don't you just use a Nitro for black load...35 Grains of IMR 4198, 3 grains of Kapok (Dacron/Sheeps wool/cotton), 480 grain, 468 diameter alox lubed WW lead bullet, issue military sights at 100 yards. 10 shots- x'd bullet doesn't count

http://www.fototime.com/D84344918022627/standard.jpg

Grapeshot
10-31-2010, 07:10 PM
can i use blackpowder solvent to clean wen hunting

Yes. Then you can use any comercial BP Solvent to clean that smoke pole up as well.