PDA

View Full Version : Merwin-Hulbert Revolvers

Hickory
10-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I posted here about this revolver about a week ago, and I'll tell you this seems to be a good little gun for playing with and not to mention the nastalga of owning a piece of history.
Almost all the guns I own are out of the norm. The sort of gun most people would ask, Why? And down the road they wished they would have gotten one.

I guess what I like about this gun is that you can change barrels and cylinders.
By changing the cylinders you can change the calibers, 45 Colt can be changed into a 45acp/45 autorim.
The 44 special can become a 44-40.

Barrel lengths are 3 1/2- 5 1/2 and 7 inches

I know it's a little pricie, ( Starting at $1250.00) but I want this to be something I can pass on to my son.

http://www.merwinhulbertco.com/about.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b5rlvggPbc

white eagle
10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
those are kinda cool
never seen anything like it

Geraldo
10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure if they're actually shipping finished pistols yet, but if they are it's great news.

I'd love to have a double action .44-40, 4" barrel, 4th Generation (top strap) with a skull crusher grip, in nickle of course.

Check out this link to get an idea of how well machined they were:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKe0weSyIjU&feature=related

Firebricker
10-08-2010, 12:29 AM
I saw one of those on a wednesday shootin show they are works of art IMO. I hope to see these revolver's become popular CAS. That would help the company get on solid ground. Hickory, Have done any shooting with it ? FB

9.3X62AL
10-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Now, THAT is an interesting development! What a cool companion piece to my Winchester '73 x 44-40. The price is a little out of my league at present, but one of those might be worth saving and waiting for.

Blue steel--square butt--5" barrel--44-40 WCF. Nice. Not a lot more than one of the GHSWs (Glory Hole Smith & Wessons) and a bit less than a Colt or USFA SAA.

Hickory
10-08-2010, 07:10 AM
I saw one of those on a wednesday shootin show they are works of art IMO. I hope to see these revolver's become popular CAS. That would help the company get on solid ground. Hickory, Have done any shooting with it ? FB

I haven't seen or shot any, but the concept interreges me.
There would be no need to hotrod this gun, it would be a good plinker with light boolits.

9.3X62AL
10-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I haven't seen or shot any, but the concept interreges me.
There would be no need to hotrod this gun, it would be a good plinker with light boolits.

My thoughts, too. The company claims to be chambering a variant in 357 Magnum, and I wonder if it is built to current SAAMI specs--or just for the CAS-type softer loads. The same musings occur to me concerning the Win 73 repros being hawked in 357 Magnum.

This 44-40 example would be limited to the same loads my original '73 gets. The idea of either make/model in 357 Magnum sorta gives me the willies.

preparehandbook
11-01-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm currently working on an original MW (new cylinder stop) it is an reall neat gun, pretty darned solid too.

9.3X62AL
11-01-2010, 03:12 AM
These examples have a lot of appeal for me, for reasons the O/P alluded to--that they are "something different", while remaining quite usable.

Von Dingo
11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm surprised they are not offering the 3.5" barrel, That was a very popular variation of the originals.

My dream version one would be, .44 Spc, scalloped cylinder, 4th model (topstrap), scullcrusher frame, with a 3.5" and 4.5" barrels. While I'm there, may as well get an extra cylinder and 4" barrel in .45 Colt.

I hope they are very successful with their new line, one of these would be very nice to play with.