PDA

View Full Version : Stripper clips in 03

mustanggt
10-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Can I load rounds one at a time into the magazine of an 03 or do I need stripper clips? I was having trouble loading rounds singley into the mag. Maybe I didn't have the magazine cutoff lever in the right postion?

madsenshooter
10-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Yes, you can load them into the magazine one at a time. I don't know if the cutoff would interfere with loading or not, doesn't seem like it should. If you decide to get some stripper clips the ones for the Swedish mauser are easier to strip, they are wider than those for the Springfield, so don't hold the cartridges as tight. I haven't really had a problem with Springfield clips though.

mustanggt
10-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks alot. I guess I'll have to be smarter than the rifle. I've been wanting to get some of those Mauser ones you spoke of. So I'll get off my duff and order them. Anyone better to order from than the other?

Larry Gibson
10-06-2010, 12:20 AM
With the magazine cutoff "off" the bolt does not come back all the way and can interfere with the loading of the magazine with single rounds. It also blocks the ability to load via a stripper clip. Simply put it in the "on" position (up) and the bolt moves to the rear so loading can easily be done with single rounds or with stripper.

Larry Gibson

mustanggt
10-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks Larry, appreciate it.

madsenshooter
10-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Better advice from someone who has one of the critters. My only experience with a cutoff is with the Krag, a totally different story. In the case of the Swedish clips, they seem to fit about everything I have that will load with a clip, my Madsen, some Japanese rifles. The Madsen clip slot is the same width as an 03's. Only advice I can give you on the Swedish clips, is shop around. They sold for a pretty low price if bought in bulk a few years ago, and some guys seem to want to triple or quadruple their money.

Jack Stanley
10-06-2010, 04:35 PM
One of the problems my 03 gives me is the follower catching on the back of the magazine box . It makes it tough to get the first round in sometimes but once the first is in the mag the rest follow easy .

Jack

Bob S
10-07-2010, 12:01 AM
You can load single rounds from the magazine with the cutoff in the "OFF" position, no sweat, GI! I do it all the time. You just need to make certain that the base of the cartridge is in front of the bolt head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/singleloading.jpg

The only time I fill the magazine is in a match for a rapid fire string, or in practicing a rapid fire string for a match. Consequently, the cutoff stays in the "OFF" position most of the time.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

mustanggt
10-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Thank you for the repies fellas. They are most helpful.

Shiloh
10-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I fire mine with a full magazine as I like working the bolt on live rounds. I pick up stripper clips at gun shows from time to time. Look them over as many have the end tabs broken off.

Shiloh

Barstooler
10-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I have about 500 1903 stripper clips that I bought on Ebay about 5 years ago.

I use them to carry extra ammo in my pocket (five left and five right) so they do not "rattle" and make noise when I hunt.

Hunted for years with a 1903 Springfield in 35 Whelen -- which would take a stripper clip of ammo because it had a peep sight -- and never really needed them. Never shot twice at the same animal!!!!! When I did my part, the ole Whelen always managed a one shot kill.

Barstool(er)

dominicfortune00
10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
The all steel ones for the M14 in 7.62x51 work good for 30'06.

Char-Gar
10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I am over 50 years deep into the 03 and 03A3 rifles and they are my all time favorite. Well, along the Krag. I don't own and have never owned a stripper clip for the 03/03A3. Every one of the many thousand round have been singled loaded into the magazine.

If somebody was shooting in a combat situation or a rapid fire match that required more than five shots, then I can see the use of a clip, but otherwise..no.

Although I don't hunt much nowadays, when I did, I loaded the magazine of the rifle and didn't take any spare ammo with me. I left camp with a full magazine and an empty chamber. In over 40 years of deer hunting I never have the need for more ammo than I had.

c3d4b2
10-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Here is a link to the stripper clips we use at matches.

http://www.championshooters.com/store/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Bob S
10-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Clips that work ... and some that don't.

http://collectorguns35625.yuku.com/topic/3677

Resp'y,
Bob S.

mustanggt
10-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I managed to find some swedish mauser clips and tested them at the range and they work real well. So I am happy that I found the right ones to get. Thanks alot fellas.