PDA

View Full Version : Henry Golden

Muddy Trails
10-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I have been eyeing a new lever action Henry Golden in 357 magnum. It pulls up tight and fast and the action seems smooth. I have heard words of caution about
the gun, but nothing very specific.

Anyone have any knowledge of a new Henry rifle and this model in particular?

Muddy Trails

hickstick_10
10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Busted a firing pin and a mag tube (mines a 44 mag so you may not have this problem), but both were replaced swiftly and for free, been no problems since.

The gun is HEAVY and chunky, which is its biggest and perhaps only faults.

I recently bought a marlin 1894 cowboy in 357 magnum with the octagon barrel, far better gun for around the same price.

think about it.

jh45gun
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I have been eyeing a new lever action Henry Golden in 357 magnum. It pulls up tight and fast and the action seems smooth. I have heard words of caution about
the gun, but nothing very specific.

Anyone have any knowledge of a new Henry rifle and this model in particular?

Muddy Trails

Too many internet gun experts bash Henry rifles for no reason. Several years ago when Winchester was making 22 lever guns they really got bashed it seemed that the guys who had Winchester guns were afraid of the competition. The biggest comment was who knows if they will last bla bla bla. Well when guys that owned the Erma's and Ithica's and Iver Johnson's that were all the same gun just made by different companies before the family that makes Henry got their own factory started saying how well their guns have lasted since the 60's and 70's then the how long will they last rumors dried up.

Henry has Excellent Customer Service and I never had one of the center fire guns but I would NEVER get rid of my Henry 22 Mag Lever gun. Very accurate and a smooth action and nice wood.

fecmech
10-06-2010, 08:18 PM
The 2 down sides to the Henry Big Boys IMO are the weight and they load in the tube like a .22. Some people may like both those items so that may not be a problem for you. Henry customer service is excellent so that is definitely a plus. I own a Henry .22 carbine and really like it. It is accurate, smooth, dependable and was good value for the money. That said I bought 2 Rossi .357 lever guns instead of a Henry. Look and compare between Henry, Marlin and Rossi and pick what you like.

lathesmith
10-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes, the Henry BB is a bit chunky, especially the 357. I don't mind though, felt recoil is very minimal. Mine seems a bit fussy about bullet shape--it hates semi-wadcutters--but it has a nice, tight chamber, fired brass is clean, and it's very accurate with my plinker loads. The action is also slick and smooth, though this is a subjective thing I guess.

Value? I got a good deal on a used one locally, I guess it just all depends on what you can find in your neighborhood. As far as I'm concerned, it's a keeper.

lathesmith

kingstrider
10-08-2010, 06:30 AM
I've handled a Bigboy in .45 colt and liked it. Too much bling for my taste but that brass receiver sure is purty! 8-)

I have owned several Marlin 1894s and a Rossi 92 in 357 and all were great handling and relatively lightweight guns with only negligible recoil from full house magnum loads. Whatever you decide on, just be sure to post pictures.