PDA

View Full Version : F/S Obsolete Lyman 4 Cavity 313492

mister gizmo
09-20-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm in the process of "redistributing" the estate of a reloader friend and came up with a NIB (my guess) Lyman Group B #313492 four cavity mould block. (I saw this item discussed among other listmembers last year on this site.)

Casts a .314" flat base wadcutter bullet, according to my very old Lyman manual. Sorry, no handles. Probably for a .32 S&W or H&R Magnum shell. I can provide pictures if interested.

This is new territory for me and I don't know what a decent price would be. I've seen obsolete Lyman 4-cavity moulds for $30 and up on e-Bay.

Any information, any advice, any offers?

9.3X62AL
09-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the board, Mister Gizmo.

I have a 2-banger of this description already, so no need on my end for the mold. It does VERY good work in the 32 S&W Long, and until the RCBS 98 SWC became available it was my sole mold in this caliber. I don't recall any use in the 32 Magnum.

Perhaps our auction site might be a place to list this mold, if you haven't arrived at a price for the item.

mister gizmo
09-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the response. Personally, I use the RCBS swaged and Magnus cast in my .32 S&W-L pistols. (Can't afford Lapua.) The reason I mentioned the .32 Magnum was that I knew this shooter used a Smith M16 and that long chamber would take magnum length brass. What cinched it was the bag of 300 .32 Magnum brass I found.
I'll check out the auction site asap. My goal is to sell all of his reloading stuff quickly and get the money to his family.

Bret4207
09-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Mister Giz- PM headed your way. Please advise on any other stuff you want to get rid of. Thanks- Bret

floodgate
09-20-2006, 07:28 PM
gixmo:

From what I've seen here from the .32 folks, and on 4-cavity moulds in general, your guesstimate of $30 seems on the low side. I think you owe it to yourself (and to the new auction site) to post it there and see what comes up. Just to put my money where my mouth is, I'll go $40 + postage for it, if no-one bites by the end of the month (and I don't even own a .32 at this point); but you ought to get that easily.

floodgate

mister gizmo
09-21-2006, 02:17 PM
I know that the value is more than I was asking, but my motive is not financial. I have a lot of material to inventory and the quicker I move, the quicker my friend's family gets the funds.

Having said that, I've already offered the blocks to another listmember and if he doesn't take them, you're next. I don't think he's that naive, though!) [smilie=1:

Thanks for the input.

mister gizmo
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all who replied, both here and off-line.

The mould blocks have been sold.

Bret4207
10-08-2006, 08:00 AM
And may I say Ken was a complete gentleman though out the deal. I recv'd a like new mould very quickly. I highly recommend him to anyone else considering doing business with him.

TCLouis
10-08-2006, 11:01 AM
quick sale and maximum funds for the survivors are equally laudible goals.

That said I bet if you posted a complete listing in the Sale section of this site the voracious appetite for shooting paraphernalia in this group would help ya clear the items quickly.

Heck this bunch cover the gamut of activities and is likely to clear most items, shooting related or not.

The auction or for sale section would certainly bring the most action.

That said ebay will bring above normal prices on many items!

mister gizmo
10-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the kind words, TCL.

I'm not using eBay because I'm not interested in getting the highest price for these items or waiting. To date I've sold a lot to my own clubmembers and several contacts on the Handloading list. They took all of the over 100 boxes of rifle bullets in .224, .32, .35, 6mm, 7mm, .270 and .280. Didn't figure the CAST boolit folks would be interested in non-cast bullets.

Now that that portion of the inventory is gone, I'm ready to post all the rifle brass and die sets I got. They'll be in the For Sale section soon. There'll be .222 Remington, 7mm-08, 7mm Improved, 7-30 Waters, .270 and .280. In pistol brass, I unfortunately have over 25,000 .38spl which have value only as scrap. However, I do have thousands of shiny 45acp cases, mostly once-fired W-W, R-P, WCC and WCC Match and Federal. And I think there's 2,500 or so once-fired Federal .40 S&W cases, too.

The dies and die sets range from Lyman to Redding and from basic to Bench Rest.

What's important for me and the memory of the now-deceased shooter is that these items go to other shooting hobbyists and competitors for continued use and pleasure.

Well, looks like I've some lists to make. I'll be posting soon.