PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a Chiappa 1911-22?

Triggerhappy
10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
My dad just emailed me asking if I knew anything about the Chiappa 1911-22. As far as I can tell it's a 1911 clone designed specifically as a .22. For around $300 it would be a nice plinker if it's any good. I shoot a Ciener top end and love it. Wonder how this would hold up.

I'll spend more time looking into it when I have time. Just wanted to get some of your opinions on it.

Thanks,
TH

Gee_Wizz01
10-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I read a review of the Chiappa1911-22 a few months ago, but I can't find it now. The review was not very flattering. If remember correctly the frame is made out of a zinc alloy.

G

Trey45
10-05-2010, 08:02 PM
The one I handled a few weeks ago felt like aluminum, it didn't resemble the weight of a true 1911 in any way. It wouldn't surprise me if the frame was zinc. The one I handled was an unfired model, and it had slide wobble already. Funny thing, Jeff Quinn on Gunblast.com gives it a good review.

http://www.gunblast.com/Chiappa1911-22.htm

CALGOUGERS.NET
10-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I saw one at the SHOT show. I thought it was kind of cheaply constructed and looking. MY friend really wants one of the older Llama .22lr pistols that is based on their 1911ish .380 frame.

I've never been big on 1911 .22lr conversion kits either, they are too finicky and too expensive.

DCP
10-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Get a GSG 1911-22 Made in Germany

They are better made, better fit and finish
A little more money and metal mags

Comes with a threaded barrel

Lots of reviews on both on line

curdog
10-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I work in a little gunshop and handled but never fired one, they look cheap to me and I would not be interested in one. Trigger pull was real rough, the company says it will get better the more you shoot it.

Gunaria
10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Just seen one at a gun show on sale for $249. That's just a little more than some conversion kits on the market now and cheaper that some other kit. I'm sure it could be tuned to be a fun little plinker.

Charlie Sometimes
10-06-2010, 11:15 PM
they look cheap to me and I would not be interested in one. Trigger pull was real rough, the company says it will get better the more you shoot it.

Saw, and handle one at the last local gun show.
Curdog is right, and it will wear out fast like that too.
Cheap, yes; inexpensive, yes; zinc alloy, yes; something I would spend my money on, NO.
I was not impressed- the money would be best spent on something else.

Wildcat
10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I picked one up last spring. Have over 9,000 rounds through it. The trigger smoothed out after 1k rounds and is fine now....about 4.5 lbs. The biggest weakness is the mags. The plastic feed lips will wear and fail to hold the ammo in the mag eventually. It is very accurate though and other than the mag issue, has been a fun pistol for cheap 1911 style practice. It can be picky on ammo though. Mine loves CCI Blazer. Hates anything Remington I've tried.

GT27
10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
8 boxes of Federal bulk pack through mine,trigger pull got a lot better after a box and a 1/2.Very accurate,no problems thus-far!Oh yeah,speaking from the experience of owning one,not speculation/or I know a guy!More problems with the GSG 1911 have cropped up so far than the Chiappa 1911-22... www.Rimfirecentral.com (http://www.rimfirecentral.com)

DCP
10-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Must have read different reviews than I did.

GSG1911 had a or has a problem with the barrel bushing. You call AT and they send you a new one. I bought the GSG because of the reviews I read.

8 boxes of Federal bulk pack through mine,trigger pull got a lot better after a box and a 1/2.Very accurate,no problems thus-far!Oh yeah,speaking from the experience of owning one,not speculation/or I know a guy!More problems with the GSG 1911 have cropped up so far than the Chiappa 1911-22... www.Rimfirecentral.com (http://www.rimfirecentral.com)

DCP
10-08-2010, 09:57 AM
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=277607

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337013

Charlie Sometimes
10-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I can find used Ruger Standard, Mk I, or Mk II for the price of these new.
Ruger will retain its value better, it will be harder to trade a Chiappa, when you decide you want something else, or it wears out (which a Ruger won't as easily).

KCSO
10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Well they go bang but that is about all. Pot metal cast up copy wiht a poor trigger and so so accuracy. You would be better served getting a conversion unit for about the same money.

82nd airborne
10-09-2010, 10:13 AM
American Classics (AMC) makes a very slick looking 1911 22 for under 3 as well.

GT27
10-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Well they go bang but that is about all. Pot metal cast up copy wiht a poor trigger and so so accuracy. You would be better served getting a conversion unit for about the same money.

GSG made of the same pot metal,a few parts are interchangeable with the M1911,complaints about the finish on some.All from Rimfire central.com .I haven't read one thread where the accuracy can compare to the Chiappa 1911-22...My opinion if you want a true 1911,buy the Colt M1911,everything else is still just a copy!!

DCP
10-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Here you go, 2nd time I will put in link.
Rimfire central isn't the only game in town.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=277607

Try reading before you post.

...My opinion if you want a true 1911,buy the Colt M1911,everything else is still just a copy!! (Cant agree more)

GSG made of the same pot metal,a few parts are interchangeable with the M1911,complaints about the finish on some.All from Rimfire central.com .I haven't read one thread where the accuracy can compare to the Chiappa 1911-22...My opinion if you want a true 1911,buy the Colt M1911,everything else is still just a copy!!

home in oz
10-09-2010, 06:00 PM
buy a ruger

GT27
10-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Must have read different reviews than I did.

GSG1911 had a or has a problem with the barrel bushing. You call AT and they send you a new one. I bought the GSG because of the reviews I read.

dcp[smilie=f:dont want to get into a pissin' contest here:takinWiz:...I would just hate to see anyone base their opinion on one guys evaluation,and opinion...as for me,and after talking to the owner of the company about the Chiappa 1911-22, I definitely made the right decision on it.My apologies to the original poster(Triggerhappy) for the highjack.

DCP
10-09-2010, 08:47 PM
You didn't make a wrong decision if your happy

BUT

1st there were none then there was 1. Will you please make up your mind.
(There are many good and bad reviews on both the GSG and Chiappa )
So please stop giving out bad information.

I provide a link to 1 of each. Which were both good reviews.
Unlike your link that just went to rimfire

There are many reviews on both guns.
I was going to get the Chiappa until I read many reviews on both. I then call the Gunsimth at both and talked to them both.

The Chiappa target model may be the answer (I found) but they are very hard to find at this point.

One must read them and make up there own mind.

You have a great day. Just go out and shoot that Chiappa its a fun weapon

dcp[smilie=f:dont want to get into a pissin' contest here:takinWiz:...I would just hate to see anyone base their opinion on one guys evaluation,and opinion...as for me,and after talking to the owner about the Chiappa 1911-22, I definitely made the right decision on it.My apologies to the original poster(Triggerhappy) for the highjack.

clintsfolly
10-21-2010, 05:52 PM
having handled both the Chiapa and the GSG1911 MY money when for the GSG 1911! IMHO better fit, finish, metal mag,Novak cut sites, most parts interchange with 1911. with only one range trip on it but 500rds i find it to be a well built accurate FUN gun to shoot. Clint

GT27
10-23-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm up to 5,000 rounds now with the Chiappa with no parts breakage yet,keeps getting better and better.It's almost becoming boring with the accuracy...surely somethings gotta give way soon with all the bashing of this ***...LOL

mtgrs737
04-12-2011, 01:13 AM
I picked up the GSG 1911 just last week. I like it over the Chiappa because it had a aluinum frame instead of the cast zinc frame Chiappa had. I also like the ambi safety, bevertail grip safety, steel breach face, threaded barrel, three hole trigger with over travel adjustment, Colt 80 series style firing pin safety, dimond checkered wooden grips, nice metal mags, three dot sights with a total of three different hight front sights included, magazine safety, and a great warranty. All in all the GSG 1911 22 offered more for the money and was finished better to boot. I have not shot it alot yet but mine is not 100 percent reliable with federal, or Remington value pack ammo, but runs 100 percent with CCI mini Mags. After I get a few thousand rounds through it it may ingest any ammo but so far the jury is out on that. I also like that this 22 can swap some parts with 45 acp pistols. I paid a little more than the Chiappa's are going for but I felt that I got more pistol, even though the Chiappa may of served me just fine.

bobthenailer
04-12-2011, 09:21 AM
IMO if you allready have a 1911 ! I would get a conversion kit ! i have a kimber 22 lr conversion kit and like it alot ! i have over 3000 rounds through it . my only complante is the slide doesent lock back on the last shot .

fourarmed
04-13-2011, 04:40 PM
A father and son shot a pair of them in our winter bullseye league. They both worked fine, and they liked them, but the father's gun had a problem. Every bullet hole in his targets showed the bullets tipping. It had a threaded barrel with a cap screwed on (and loctited), and I think the bullets may have been touching the cap as they exited the bore. He called the company, and they said they would fix it. That is the total of my firsthand knowledge of them.

mtgrs737
04-22-2011, 01:22 AM
IMO if you allready have a 1911 ! I would get a conversion kit ! i have a kimber 22 lr conversion kit and like it alot ! i have over 3000 rounds through it . my only complante is the slide doesent lock back on the last shot .

The GSG's lock the slide back after the last shot.

Rio Grande
04-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Here's one...

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=117549

shooterg
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
I shot a guy's Chiappa at the range, worked fine, but the plastic mags would keep me from owning one. I have a Kimber .22 conversion on an old lightweight Fed Ord 1911 bottom that I shoot plate rack with a lot - I do own Rugers also, but I like anything 1911ish ! I think the 7/8 scale Browning 1911 .22 would be a hoot, but doubt I'd spend the bucks. The GSG's look to be a little better quality for a little more $$. All of 'em are fun though !

Gullwing
04-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Have just received the latest Chiappa catalog,and the only 1911 type listed is a blank firing model.The only live firers shown is the Rhino 357 bottom barrel in 2" 4" & 6",and a Double Eagle Derringer in 22lr.

shooterg
04-23-2011, 04:39 PM
The Chiappa website shows 4 1911 .22 models, AR15 .22 upper and complete gun/etc. Haven't seen a paper catalog. That Rhino is a strange animal, huh ?

Kitika
05-15-2011, 08:38 AM
I have shot the chiappa .22 and it was horrible! Worst trigger i've ever used, had plenty of malfunctions and wasn't accurate in the slightest. The bloke that bought it had a gunsmith go over it to try and make it shootable but hasn't had much luck yet. Maybe we get a different model down here in Aus. than what is available over there but I wouldn't even look at the chiappa if I was in the market for a .22

NickSS
05-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I owned one for awhile and put about a 1000 rounds through it. It was fairly reliable and fairly accurate and the trigger pull did improve after 500 rounds or so. Though I do not say anything bad to say about it I just could not get past the cheap feel to it so sold it. I bought a Sig Mosqueto to replace it and so far the Sig shoots about as accurately but jams all the time. lots of failures to eject and lots of failures to pick up a round. Recently I spayed my ammo with case lube and now I do not have problems with failures to function. However, I do not like the idea of having to lube ammo to get it to function. This pistol is nicer feeling but made of the same sort of pot metal. I am looking for an old ruger Mk1 4 inch and when I find it this gun is history.