PDA

View Full Version : re: leading problems

Gun Nut
10-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Ok just a quick post I got Doby's boolits and the drive bands are strong enough to keep it size 401 .but I am still vertigo lead at the half end of my barrel. Any more suggestions? [smilie=b:

noylj
10-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Any one translate this? Assuming there is an issue with barrel leading:
Cast bullet leading
A clue to what is causing the leading is where the leading first begins to appear.
If it appears near the chamber, chances are that bullet diameter or hardness are the cause. A diameter too small or an alloy too hard will allow high pressure gas to leak past the bullet, which erodes the bullet and leaves leading near the chamber.
If the leading first appears on the leading edge of the rifling (if you imagine the bullet being pushed through the barrel, you will note that one edge of the rifling does most of the work of imparting a spin to the bullet. This is the edge you see when you look through the barrel from the breech end) the bullet might be too soft or the velocity too high.
If the leading appears in the second (front) half of the barrel, the bullet is running out of lube. You should see a star shaped pattern of lube accumulate on the muzzle. This is an indication that there is a little excess lube.

HangFireW8
10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Any one translate this?

Not entirely, but perhaps Doby is user Doby45 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=9397).

Moonie
10-06-2010, 12:49 PM
The boolits I got from Doby45 are from the 40 cal Mihec, I believe the lube on them was either CR or 50/50 CR/50/50.

I wouldn't think those would run out of lube in a pistol length barrel but I haven't tried them yet.

BTW, great boolits I got from him, can't wait for SWMBO to decide I can get another mold, although I was reading out loud last night the title "How many molds are too many" and she said "the number you have now"...

Might be awhile :(

captaint
10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
gun nut - I can't imagine you're running out of lube in a pistol barrel. If you haven't slugged the barrel for groove dimesions, try that next. Might tell you something useful.
And yeah, every time I tell my wife "I'm done buying boolit molds", she looks at me and says "yeah, I'm done buying sewing stuff too"!! Oh, well. enjoy Mike

Doby45
10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
The lube is a 50/50 mix of BAC and Carnuba Red. My G23 loves'em with 3.6-3.7gr of Clays..

geargnasher
10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Any one translate this? Assuming there is an issue with barrel leading:
Cast bullet leading
A clue to what is causing the leading is where the leading first begins to appear. True.
If it appears near the chamber, chances are that bullet diameter or hardness are the cause. A diameter too small or an alloy too hard will allow high pressure gas to leak past the bullet, which erodes the bullet and leaves leading near the chamber. There is much more to it than that, in fact leading in this area is often caused by excessive boolit skid from a too-fast launch from too-fast of a powder for the alloy. Often a harder alloy (with correct fit) is necessary to achieve obturation in the leade with a quick launch.
If the leading first appears on the leading edge of the rifling (if you imagine the bullet being pushed through the barrel, you will note that one edge of the rifling does most of the work of imparting a spin to the bullet. This is the edge you see when you look through the barrel from the breech end) the bullet might be too soft or the velocity too high. If on the leading edge, I think that's right, and the leading often comes out as fine "hair" as it peels out of the groove. However, I find that, usually, "following" type leading at the base of the land is on the trailing edge, and that is due to gas-cutting and leaks from too-soft and alloy, poor fit, or too quick lauch acceleration. It is usually welded on pretty well and really tough to clean out.
If the leading appears in the second (front) half of the barrel, the bullet is running out of lube. Or has copper fouling. Or has a bore constriction. Or velocity is exceeding alloy strength at that point. You should see a star shaped pattern of lube accumulate on the muzzle. This is an indication that there is a little excess lube. I wouldn't say "should". Often, especially with rifle, excess lube can have a detrimental effect on accuracy. I would say "just enough" lube. If you don't have leading and accuracy is consistenly good, you have the right amount and type of lube. and often there is no star.

I can translate, he has two other threads on this subject posted within the last month or so, all the info you seek is there, no point in copying for the handfull of us that have been following.

My questions are, what powder and how much????? Still going with 7.0 grains of HS6? Maybe you need to go .402". How many did you shoot? Did the leading get progressively worse, or even out? How was accuracy? Did the leading push out with a tight patch and solvent, or did you have to get the Chore Boy after it?

Gear

Gun Nut
10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Thank you gear, I am still using 7 gr of hs 6 I shoot 20 rounds and it was pretty dirty, but accuracy was better. I took a copper brush to barel+ solvent and there were little lead flakes that came out in my hand. I also posted a better posting of what was going on in this section so it sould be right by this thread,and it is more informative.....thanks for helping me on this one