PDA

View Full Version : Kimber

Arisaka99
10-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I want a kimber custom carry pro. Do any of you guys have them? How do you like it? I want the full length barrel also. OR... i would have no problem with a Wilson or a Les Bauer....... ;)

Lloyd Smale
10-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Ive got a kimber cdp custom carry and love it.

Edubya
10-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Two of my friends have them and have convinced me not to get one. They've both had reliability problems that had to be taken care of by Kimber. I went with the Dan Wesson CBOB.

EW

redneckdan
10-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I've seen a couple that worked good from the box. I've seen one that had to go back to daddy a couple times for a whuppin'. That said Kimber did resolve the problem after a couple tries and last I heard it ran like a top.

BD
10-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a Kimber Pro Tactical that I bobbed myself and carry whenever I'm wearing a jacket. I bought it "nearly new" at a very good price when the original owner had issues taking it down. The problems all related to the series II safety and required some careful hand fitting on my part to get sorted out. It's been 100% reliable since.

If you're not comfortable doing the fitting yourself, I'd look for a series I Kimber, or another maker who doesn't use that type of additional drop safety.

I've carried a 5" 1911 and a 3" 1911, but IMHO you can't beat a 4" barrel on a full sized bobbed grip frame with a low profile mag floor plate for carry. My advice, worth just what you paid for it, is to get one, fluff and buff it, put a couple thousand rounds through it, then get yourself a steel framed 1911 to put the major wear and tear on, saving the 4" gun for carry.

BD

Potsy
10-06-2010, 11:26 AM
I bought a barely used Eclipse Target II with the much-hated external extractor about 3-1/2yrs. ago. It used to bobble a round every now and again but after it got broke in I've not had any problems. It feeds and hits what it is pointed at very well.

Snapping Twig
10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Had this

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/PC110010.jpg

Sold it and bought this

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P2260002.jpg

Kimber QC is lacking these days.

Mine had a real tight chamber, smaller than it should have been and would not RTB reliably with my reloads which were definitely in spec.

Had no trouble with ball, but my guns shoot my reloads or they are gone, and I do not shoot ball.

My advice...

Kimber is hit or miss. Dan Wesson is the best bang for the buck. Springfield is real good too.

Lloyd Smale
10-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Thats strange as ive got 4 kimbers and have owned 3 others and everyone of them were good guns. Ive owned 3 springfields and havent had a good one yet.

curdog
10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a classic stainless gold match, bought new in 1998 and it shoots castboolits great. It is a very reliable pistol. It has been shot alot and still is as good as it ever was.

felix
10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
It all boils down to who put the gun together. It's called mix and match the parts from a box for the best fit. A truly custom gun would have custom fitted parts by an "expert", hopefully based upon years of experience from customers. ... felix

whitetailsniper
10-06-2010, 04:37 PM
i got the raptor and ill never sell it...friend of mine has 4 differant cal kimbers ,,and loves every one of them,, but favors his 10mm best.my humble opion,, kimber rules!!!

NWFLYJ
10-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I am a die hard Colt 1911 man, I carried it for 20 years. Here recently I decided that I wanted something smaller since I'm going over the hill (45). I picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry II at the local shop and it felt great, right at home for a 1911 user. I checked with some co-workers and sure enough one was to be had for a test drive. The only thing I did not like was not Kimber's fault at all, it is smaller than a full size 1911 and weighs alot less and of course that produces more recoil. The next day I ordered a stainless Ultra Carry II and added Crimson grips on it a month or so later. The gun shoots spot on and I have not had a failure to feed after 500+ jacketed rounds (400 recomended from some place for break in) and 200+ cast. Great workmanship and qaulity in my eye. Mark

kingstrider
10-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I lucked into a stainless Pro Carry II with night sights and laser grips in a pawn shop a year or two ago. It was like new in the box and I paid the paltry sum of $600 OTD. Its a great shooter but not as good as the Series 70 Colt I had before.

Arisaka99
10-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Well, I cant carry. Im not old enuff. I would like to have one, but thats not a reality right now. I am gonna get a Wilson or a Les Bauer for my 21st b day as my present to myself. XD What kind of experiences have you guys had with Les Bauer guns?

82nd airborne
10-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Start saving your money now.

Lloyd Smale
10-07-2010, 05:42 AM
I had one les baer premier and it was a very fine gun. I traded it off in a weak moment and have allways regreted it. It was a bit tight at first and didnt run real well till it had a couple hundred rounds through it but after it was broke in it NEVER missed a beat and was the most accurate 1911 ive ever owned. One hole 7 shot groups at 25 were the norm not the exception.
Well, I cant carry. Im not old enuff. I would like to have one, but thats not a reality right now. I am gonna get a Wilson or a Les Bauer for my 21st b day as my present to myself. XD What kind of experiences have you guys had with Les Bauer guns?

MtGun44
10-09-2010, 01:16 AM
I have a Kimber Custom Classic with about 30,000 rounds thru it. ALL stock except front
sight, 2 lb trigger that I put on it with the stock parts when it was new has never changed.
TOTALLY reliable. Really smooth, gun is worn in perfectly at this point.

Reasonably accurate, about 3" or a bit more at 50 yds.

If you want the champagne 1911 at red wine prices, get a Dan Wesson. No exaggeration.

Bill

captaint
10-09-2010, 02:28 AM
I have a Les Baer Premier and a Dan Wesson Pointman. Both 5" 1911's. I'm still trying to find the load that the Les Baer shoots better than the DW. Haven't got there yet. Sure am having a great time experimenting though!!
The DW is a little less buck. Both mighty fine guns. I'll just have to keep trying.... enjoy Mike

BD
10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
I didn't mean to disparage Kimbers at all. I think they just have had some issues with the series II safety which introduces another set of parts that really need to be hand fitted for reliable function.

My series I Custom Classic was getting a little loose in spots at 75,000 rounds so I just fitted an oversize bushing, slide stop and matching link and replaced the firing pin stop and extractor. Amazingly the slide to frame fit is still pretty good. I'm off to the range tomorrow to tune the ejector. With luck the old girl will have another 75,000 rounds left in her.

BD

Arisaka99
10-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, one of the local ranges had a kimber that they put a good hundred thou rounds thru it and they said the trigger just got better and better. It was a rental gun. Finally the slide cracked in half on it. and they got rid of it I think?

BD
10-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Well I didn't get off as easy as I'd hoped with the 5" Kimber series one. I went to the range to adjust the ejector, only to discover that it was a little loose. So, Sunday night I tore it down completely and re-pinned the extractor using a Wilson roll pin that I had on hand and it tightened it up nicely. I gave it a shot of red locktight on both studs for good measure. Going over the frame I noticed that the plunger tube is loose as well. Unfortunately I don't own a plunger tube staking tool. Has anyone ever used one of the bolt style tools? Brownells has them for $25; compared to $75 for the visegrip style tool.

It looks like I've been kinda slack. When I was shooting IDPA regularly I'd take it down once a year and look it over pretty carefully. It's been awhile since I competed much and I'd guess it's been 4 or 5 years since it got a complete going over. I suppose I probably should put a spring kit and pin set in it at this point as well.

BD

82nd airborne
10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
You could buy a good caspian or some such frame and slide combo and as you have the money, buy parts as needed and build it the way you want it. However, it does take know how to correctly build and fit a 1911. It is not for everyone, but I like doing things myself. If you are the same way It might be a good way to go. If I understand right, you have several years untill you are old enough to buy a handgun. This will give you plenty of time to save money and research, as well as get a chance to handle some various brands, so that when the time comes, you will know exactly what you want and have the money to get it. You may also decide that a vehicle and a cheaper handgun are suit you better than being on foot with a really expensive handgun. Also, a friendly word to ponder; Having a girlfriend(s) at your age will drastically cut into your premium 1911 savings. Chances are they will cost just as much, and not last near as long. And youll never get tired of a good 1911.....