PDA

View Full Version : Useing 2 Lee 2 cavity at one time

Wayne S
10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I have had no luck in finding a lee GB 6 cavity mold in the 310 155 Harris designed bullet So I'm wondering if anyone has used 2 of the 2 cavity Lee molds together ?
I can do it with 2 RCBS or Saeco iron molds, just not sure about the aluminum Lee's

Mk42gunner
10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Wayne,

You can try it, I never have had much luck using two Lee molds at the same time. They seem to want to be ran fast/ quick/ hot.

When I cast with my Lee 312-185, by the time I would set the mold down the sprue would be hardened enough to cut with a gloved hand. It just worked out easier for me to keep the mold in my left hand, cut the sprue with my right; and maybe have to tap the hinge once in a while. You can make a pretty impressive pile with a two cavity mold using a bottom pour pot (and not much slower using a ladle).

Robert

HangFireW8
10-05-2010, 08:44 PM
You can try it, I never have had much luck using two Lee molds at the same time. They seem to want to be ran fast/ quick/ hot.

I agree... so leave the unused mold on the burner of the electric hot plate. However I'm not sure how much that will increase your casting rate.

-HF

wistlepig1
10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I am glade to see this thread. I was thinking the same thing, as I got 2 of the 22 Bators and am using just one. I was thinking about taking the second out of its box and put inservice but I dont think so now---no advantage as I read this. By casting fast and hot I got 350 of the little darings in 2 hours. Thanks for the info

454PB
10-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I use two double cavity moulds frequently. Casting with one double cavity mould has me waiting for cooling and slows down the process.

It helps to preheat them, then they will start and stay hot.

1Shirt
10-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Same as 454PB. As long as you maintain some kind of rhythm you are fine. It is easier to maintain same with blts of 30 cal and larger however.
1Shirt:coffeecom

44fanatic
10-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Once I got the rythm and the molds up to temp, dropping boolits with two molds was pretty easy. Was even easier once I picked up the pace a little more when I found out I was supposed to cut the sprues by hand instead of a whacker...LOL.

Casting for 44/240gr and 9mm/125gr
or
2 30carbine molds

1) Fill 1, set 1 down
2) Fill 2, set 2 down
3) Cut sprue on 1, set it down
4) cut sprue on 2, fill 2 (step one begins)
Keeps em hot enough.

mroliver77
10-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I just use the Bruce B. speed casting method and do not wast time setting down/picking up multiple molds.With correct pot temp and aluminum mold there is really very little cooling on the rag needed. I can sure make a pile of them with a 2 cav this way!
Jay

mdi
10-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I have used two .44 cal Lee molds at the same time. No problems, just have to cast a bit faster to keep mold temp up.

HangFireW8
10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I am glade to see this thread. I was thinking the same thing, as I got 2 of the 22 Bators and am using just one. I was thinking about taking the second out of its box and put inservice but I dont think so now---no advantage as I read this. By casting fast and hot I got 350 of the little darings in 2 hours. Thanks for the info

My new 22 Bator is the only mold I have that actually cooled down while I was using it...pot was hot but the weather has been really cool here lately. There just isn't enough lead going through it to keep it hot once the ambient temps get low, I guess.

-HF