PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 trigger group

AviatorTroy
10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
I was recently given a mossberg 500 by a friend who had it siting in his basement for years and said there was something wrong with it and he didn't care to mess with it. Well I dissasembled and cleaned everything and the main problem is that the top part of the stamping of the trigger is broken off flush with the top of the trigger guard assembly.

The second problem is while the rest of the firearm is in really decent shape, the trigger group is basically a solid lump of rust. I tried soaking in penetrating oil and then was going to dissasmble ( what a pain) but even after that all I managed to do was break the ear off the plastic trigger guard and it's still a lump of rust. So I think I need a whole new trigger group assembley. Any other ideas before I spend 90 bucks? (probably more than the gun is worth)

376Steyr
10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I disassembled a non-rusty Mossberg 500 trigger group once. Not one of my finer moments, with parts flying everywhere, tiny springs disappearing, needing a special tool to put the tiny springs back, etc. Brownells has assembled trigger groups in stock for $81. In your situation, I'd give serious thought to selling it to a gunsmith for parts before I put any money into it.

lonewelder
10-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I have a complete trigger group I could part with