PDA

View Full Version : 1911 wannabe questions.

Bullshop Junior
10-05-2010, 02:00 PM
So at the last gunshow I bought a "Ballester-Molina" 45 ACP.

The gun looks exactly like a 1911, exept that there is no grip safety.

On the left side of the slide it says *Pistola Automatica C. 11.25 mm Fabricada Por "Hafdasa"

So the questions I have.

Will 1911 parts fit? (Like grips, clips and sights)

What kind of value does it hold? I got it for a truck gun.

Thanks

NWFLYJ
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
From Wikipedia,

Ballester-Molina was designed to serve alongside the M1927 that was currently in Argentine service, it bears a striking resemblance to the Colt M1911A1. The Ballester-Molina and the M1911 share an identical 7-round magazine, barrel, recoil spring, and barrel bushing. Although many other parts appear identical at first glance, they are not. Many parts are adaptable, however. The Ballester is also known as the "Hafdasa" after the initials of the company that made it.

The Ballester Molina is a pistol that while is actually more a copy of a Spanish Star pistol rather than a 1911 Colt, was manufactured in .45 Caliber and has a few parts, mainly barrel, magazine, recoil spring, that are interchangeable with Colt 1911 parts. The Ballester Molina is a very well made and very accurate pistol. And can successfully compete with any .45 manufactured in those times. The Ballester Molinas were manufactured in Buenos Aires Argentina by HAFDASA (Hispano Argentina Fábrica de Automotores Sociedad Anonima) between 1938 and 1953.

Hope that helps! Unless it was made for British use it would be a great truck gun. Mark

HeavyMetal
10-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Nice for plinkin and such but don't expect the 1911 parts from the Brownell's catalog to fit cause they won't.

The up side is you can knurl the end of the barrel and make the bushing tighter in both the barrel and the slide whch will imporve accuracy a bunch!

You can drill and tap the trigger for a stop and hone the sear in very much the same manner as a 1911 and you can tighten the slide frame area the same as a 1911 with the old school; ball peen hammer trail and fit technique.

Any sights you can find can be added depending, of course, on how much labor you feel like putting in this gun I had a buddy "FILE" a set of Bomar lo mounts onto his BM and he was real happy with the result.

Grips are even easier! leave the stockers on it and wrap the area in skateboard grip tape when it starts to look tacky take the old stuff off and re wrap it!

As long as you don't enter the mine is more than your compitation I think your old BM can be tinkered into a pretty fair gun!