PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you cry...

Bret4207
10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Found on my local Craigs list. Monarch 14" tool room lathe with accessories, $1200. OBO. I'm broke, I'm crying.:violin:

Faust
10-06-2010, 03:13 AM
That is reason enough for sure!
I love my 10EE.

OldBob
10-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Saw that one Bret. I don't have enough space for it and also no way to move it if I did.... gonna have to live with the old Craftsman.... took 4 of us to get that in the shop years ago when I could still lift stuff :grin::grin:

Bret4207
10-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Yeah Bob, I drooled all over they keyboard on that one. There an American Standard (IIRC) down in Cicero for $350. Old style open belt drive but it does have the quick change gear box. Stuff like that drives me nuts! But I lack room too.

Someday, maybe....

leftiye
10-07-2010, 02:06 AM
So sell me your shaper and then you'll have room?

Bret4207
10-07-2010, 07:20 AM
HAH! That little Atlas doesn't take up much room, it's just a bit larger than a top rack tool box. I'm in the process of trying to get my garage fixed up enough to start doing small engine repair. Room is an issue. So that requires my fixing the overhang off the rear and part of the barn for storage. Someday the plan is to put a second story on the garage and extend the foot print another car length. Honey bunch has to park inside ya know. If I could do that I'd have room for a 14-16" lathe, a mill and probably an iron worker too. That would be fun.

John Taylor
10-07-2010, 09:34 AM
HAH! That little Atlas doesn't take up much room, it's just a bit larger than a top rack tool box. I'm in the process of trying to get my garage fixed up enough to start doing small engine repair. Room is an issue. So that requires my fixing the overhang off the rear and part of the barn for storage. Someday the plan is to put a second story on the garage and extend the foot print another car length. Honey bunch has to park inside ya know. If I could do that I'd have room for a 14-16" lathe, a mill and probably an iron worker too. That would be fun.

The wife complained about the walk to the garage so I'm building a carport next to the house so she don't have to walk in the rain, ( and in the north west we do have a little rain). Got the new driveway in and the slab pored but I need to remove the old concrete step which is in the way. All this so she won't complain about me storing a few tools in her garage when I have a full shop and garage to myself.

Bret4207
10-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Women! I offered to build a garage with breezeway for her. Nope, she wants a basement garage right where our septic tank is and the ledge crops up. So neither of us will get what we want I guess.

MtGun44
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Bret,

My old South Bend 11" with top motor mount and flat belt drive is for sale. For you I could
work a good deal if you have any need. Getting from KC to upstate NY might be a bit of
work, but if you take it off the table, both sould rid in a pickup just fine. Old, basic but it
has the quick change box and taught me to turn and thread.

Bill

Bret4207
10-12-2010, 07:14 AM
I saw your notice in the other thread Bill. The thought crossed my mind. But realistically...I have a hard time getting 40 miles from home these days. Kansas is a lot further! So thank you, but I doubt it would out at this time.

MtGun44
10-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Bret,

Well, I do understand, esp with all the livestock. Animals absolutely do not understand about not
being fed and watered on time. We had lots when I was a kid, but the wife and I like travel
so we have only the cat and he is a great car traveler and we have the neighbor feed him
when we are gone.

Bill

codgerville@zianet.com
10-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Bret, I also have an Atlas shaper. I traded $50 and a used chuck for it several years ago, and it fits in very well with my 1946 South Bend Model A. Both of them have done very good work for me. They are far better than most of the stuff available today.

EOD3
10-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I want the lathe we had at the "rocket ranch". It was about 35 feet end to end and built into the concrete floor. Suitable for turning lamp polls and rocket motor casings. :bigsmyl2:

Buckshot
10-24-2010, 03:09 AM
I want the lathe we had at the "rocket ranch". It was about 35 feet end to end and built into the concrete floor. Suitable for turning lamp polls and rocket motor casings. :bigsmyl2:

..............Probably an American Pacemaker or a Leblond 'Heavy Duty'. Did the carriage have a platform for the operator to ride along on? :-)

..............Buckshot

EOD3
10-25-2010, 01:23 PM
..............Probably an American Pacemaker or a Leblond 'Heavy Duty'. Did the carriage have a platform for the operator to ride along on? :-)

..............Buckshot

There wasn't one installed but I wouldn't be surprised to find one in a warehouse somewhere. The chuck assembly was huge, about the size of a 30 gallon drum. IIRC: there were 2 electric hoists above the bed. I would probably injure myself lifting one of the chuck jaws nowadays. :(

arjacobson
10-27-2010, 05:36 PM
That is reason enough for sure!
I love my 10EE.

When I was still maching for a living we always went to the 10ee for precision stuff.. Excellent machine that still ran on vacuum tubes!!!

MtGun44
10-28-2010, 01:24 AM
We used to have one at work that had a ~7 ft diam faceplate and the tailstock was about the
size of a VW bug. It want to surplus about 15 yrs ago.