PDA

View Full Version : cleaning lubsizer

white eagle
10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
how do you all clean out you lubsizers ?
I just bought a used one and want to try and clean it out before I put any new lube in it ....
:coffee:

prickett
10-04-2010, 10:58 PM
how do you all clean out you lubsizers ?
I just bought a used one and want to try and clean it out before I put any new lube in it ....
:coffee:

I place mine between 2 100 watt light bulbs and over a drip pan. Come back in 30 minutes and its empty.

No fuss, no muss, and completely unattended.

fryboy
10-04-2010, 11:21 PM
i just did that lolz ( anyone need some lyman lamp black ? ) usually with a new ummm old one i'd boil it but sometimes that can remove some paint , i used a mini heat gun i bought at a thrift store for a couple of bucks ( that was a good find !!! ) but a hair dryer will also work ( or that boiling thing ) if boiling and it has alot of lube it's best to wait until the lube has cooled and caked or it will come out with a thin coat ( thicker if there's alot of lube ) heat's the thing and for those of you who mite of spilled some wax or lube again heat and paper towels is about the best way to get it up and gone , wash with dawn when done or a vinegar solution for glass and such

RP
10-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I like a heat gun not only for cleaning out a sizer but for cleaning sizing dies before putting them back up. Also helps in removing the dies and getting the lube flowing on cold days. Now when I change lubes I run the lube down as much as I can then add the new lube heat just the front of the sizer and force it out with the new lube.

geargnasher
10-05-2010, 01:16 AM
heat it somehow, either with the light trick mentioned above, or a small under-desk heater blowing directly on it. Remove the lube pressure piston first.

Personally, I like to boil them if they're full of old, dried, nasty, unknown gunk. I add a TBS of dishwashing detergent per gallon of water and boil in an old pot outside on the propane grill side burner.

Gear

Springfield
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Put it on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels, and put it in the oven at 175 deg. Come back later, throw out the paper towels and you are done. No muss, no fuss.

winelover
10-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Put it on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels, and put it in the oven at 175 deg. Come back later, throw out the paper towels and you are done. No muss, no fuss.

That's how I did my mine! Removed o-rings and handle grip first!!

Winelover

buck1
10-07-2010, 10:03 PM
That's how I did my mine! Removed o-rings and handle grip first!!

Winelover

+2. A cheep foil pan is nice to.

Marine Sgt 2111
10-08-2010, 12:19 AM
I just changed the lube in my Saeco from Carnuba Red to 50/50 NRA mix. I removed the plunger, turned the luber sizer upside down, heated the base of it with a heat gun until the lube came out. It took perhaps 5 to 7 minutes. This method gets 99.9% of the old lube out including out of the die.:drinks:

fcvan
10-08-2010, 12:57 AM
I broke my Lyman 450 down and boiled it slowly in the oven. My goal was to clean it thoroughly (like it hadn't been in 20 years) and modify it slightly. After blowing the bottom O rings for the bazillionth time I decided to pull the O rings and use JB weld to permanently affix the bottom piece. Boiling it clean, and then cleaning with a mild solvent ensured the JB weld would take. Voila! No more pesky O rings and leaks from the bottom.