PDA

View Full Version : BP Lube Test

chuebner
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
This weekend I performed a lube test with some very pleasant results. The load is my standard Lyman 457125 "beagled" to .463 as cast over 62gr. GOEX 2F, WW cases and Wolf LR primers. This bullet has four substantial lube grooves which carry a good amount of lube. The rifle is my M1888 Springfield which slugs at .450 X .460 and shoots sub 3" groups at 100yd with this load. I pan lubed 10 each of the Lyman bullet with Bullshops NASA lube, SPG, Emmert's and White Label. Normal procedure has been to take a shot and then blow tube 3 slow steady breaths to keep fouling soft. This experiment was to see if I could take a string of shots with no blow tubing or wiping between shots and have the lube itself keep the fouling in check.

Long story short, the SPG, Emmert's and White Label lubed bullets failed miserably. Groups opened up after 5 shots and there was a hard, crunchy fouling deposit about 3-4 in. in from the muzzle on each of these lubes. The pleasant surprise was with the Bullshop NASA lube. Accuracy stayed the same for all ten shots and I was surprised to find a damp patch pushed through the bore with ease, no resistance and no crunchy deposits.

Bullshop NASA Lube WOW!!!

I'm not saying the other lubes are no good but if I can eliminate the blow tubing or wiping between shots... well guess what I'm going to do.

Good job Bullshop.

Charlie

Bullshop
10-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Now that right there is quite a testimonial that is.
You should post it in the BPCR forum too.
Thanks Charlie, appreciate it!

Bullshop
10-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Hope you dont mind but I did post your test in the BPCR forum.

Awhile back someone sent me a link to a cowboy site where a fella tested several lubes in BP revolver. I dont remember the name of the place but remember that he had about the same results with NASA in that application.
We worked on the NASA formula after attending the Quiggley shoot and seeing how many folks were having serious lube issues when it was 106 degrees in the sun on the firing line.
Our first lube line for BP was called #2 lube to distinguish it from our #1 lube, Speed Green. The NASA lube came about as an improved version of the #2 lube. We were specifically trying to develop a lube that was better for high temp and low humidity conditions.
Turns out that the NASA lube also works very well for cold weather smokeless loads too.

cajun shooter
10-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Chuebner, If I may ask, which White Label lube did you use as they have not had any of the white BP lube in almost two years. The test that you were talking was on the Open Range forum and I sent the NASA lube to the pard doing the test. I told them that it would suprise them if they used it. I also asked Bullshop for a commision but that is still in the mail I guess. I also sent some of it to Mike Venturino. I sent Dick Dastardly a sample of Bullplate and he now includes it with every mold he sales. Still no check. Ha!! Ha!!

nanuk
12-09-2010, 07:27 AM
I also sent some of it to Mike Venturino.

I thought that Mike only pushes SPG now as he has stock in the company.
I NEVER see him mention any other lube.

and according to him, you can't get a big bore to shoot unless you use a $$$ custom mould, as far as I can tell

Bullshop
12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I think that Mike sold his share to Steve and no longer has a vested interest. They are still buds though so wouldn't anyone do the same?
Its been several years now that I did write to Steve and offered him the NASA formula and suggested he could market it as an spg two or improved but he never responded back. I assumed he was not interested.

nanuk
12-10-2010, 05:30 AM
I think that Mike sold his share to Steve and no longer has a vested interest. They are still buds though so wouldn't anyone do the same?

BullShop:
it just seems a bit disingenuous to me.

I mean, I've read so much from him, that now, almost EVERY article is the same ol' blah blah blah the same three moulds for the same 4 rifles. Same powder, same lube.....

That is why I really enjoy this site and the input and insight you folks have.

these forums offer an alternative to the same ol' and really puts the game in a whole new light.

I guess to me, I don't really have an interest in NEW rifles anymore. I want to know how you guys get the OLD ones to shoot like new (or Better) and how to improve performance, be it accuracy, or terminal performance for hunting. Or both.

to put it another way, I love plain old chocolate cake. But I sure am interested in how you spice it up with raspberry jam and chocolate fudge icing, and maybe a layer of "CoolWhip"... them Waksupi will chime in how he likes his with BlueBerry jam, and Vanilla icecream...
you see, alternatives!

and back to the OP, Thanks for the Test! This is the kind of info that helps Noobs like me.

cajun shooter
12-10-2010, 12:58 PM
nanuk, I did send it to Mike. I can only say that because it was up to him on what he did with it. He and Steve Garbe are still great friends and Mike refers to SPG as his lube of choice for all his loading both BP and smokeless. They also wrote a very good book together. It was not my intention to bad mouth the SPG as Steve himself will say that it is not the best for all applications. I thought he would like to try it as he and I were exchanging e-mails and he said he had never heard of it. It sounds as if you watch a lot of the Food Channel.

saz
12-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I can attest to the NASA lube being very good for smokeless in the cold. I use it for my puma in 454 when the temps drop up here. It is a little sticky for the warm weather for my tastes, but I have another lube I use for that. Bullshop makes some really great products, but the NASA and Bullplate will ALWAYS be on my loading bench!

nanuk
12-12-2010, 01:30 AM
nanuk, It sounds as if you watch a lot of the Food Channel.

Cajun Shooter, I used to when I was single. Learned a lot about good food.

you see... I also love to eat!