PDA

View Full Version : 1st spin in my 03A3

mustanggt
10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I took her out to the range with some cast loads from a 314299 mould. There was no leading and I used a variety of loads gleened from this site and they all worked great. I was very happy with the accuracy at 2-21/2". The as issued sights are simple and easy to use and worked well. I shot some of the other type of bullets at gongs out to 450 and hit more than I missed so I'm very pleased. I expect things to progress even better as I gain experience and get used to the trigger which was better than I expected.

30CAL-TEXAN
10-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Glad you like it. I love mine, it is by far my favorite rifle.;-)

mustanggt
10-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I have many favorite rifles. This is one of my most favorite. Timeless, quality and craftsmanship even in the harried times it was made in it still is one of the finest battle rifles made. Can you tell I love it??? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Char-Gar
10-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I got my first 03 in 1960 and my first 03A3 the following year when the DCM was selling them for just a few dollars. My current 03A3 was a gift from a friend.

The "Springfield" rifle in all of it's incarnations is truly an American classic and the rifle upon which generations of riflemen cut their teeth. For many of us that belong to those generation, it will still be "their rifle" when it is all said and done.

I also dote on the Krag and the Garand, but the Springfield will always be the pick of the litter.

mustanggt
10-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I now understand why the Marine Corps clung to their Springfields so tightly. I am a huge WWII history buff and am just thrilled to be holding and shooting such an iconic piece of history.