PDA

View Full Version : Cost to change cal's?

joatmon
10-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Having never owned a progressive press but after 30 yrs of reloading and planing a purchase I have a few questions. I've read the which is better posts till I'm seeing double without seeing the cost break downs on cal convertions. Without knowing for certian it would seem
1 The LnL would cost about 380.00 plus shipping, shell plate and my dies.
To change cals would be shell plate(if different) 28.99 and my dies.

2. The 550 Dillon would be 420.00 plus shipping, cal convertion kit 53.95 and my dies.

Did I get it about right or is my lack of knowledge about progressives showing?
I'm not going to nit pic price quality cost, but I want to have a realistic cost before I open the wallet.

Thanks Aaron

HEAD0001
10-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I can not speak to total cost on the Dillon. But I am in the process of ordering a new LNL. I waited for my birthday pricing from Midway, and I am glad I did. My birthday price is $313. I think that is a real good deal. The only other expense is the shell plate, you have to buy dies no matter what press you use. And everything else comes with the press. The only other thing I can see that would be nice to have would be additional "die bushings' for changing cartridges. But they are not necessary. You can screw the dies out of the ones that come with the press, you would just need to adjust the dies every time you changed cartridges. I can not see anything else you need to buy for the LNL. Tom.

missionary5155
10-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Good morning
That sounds about right IF you are going the retail route.. I hunt around and see if I can find used conversions and save a couple bucks.
I have also swaped parts between kits to "make due" and it works OK.

Ed K
10-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I think you also need to consider the Dillon toolhead or a set of Hornady LnL bushings for each caliber

cheese1566
10-04-2010, 08:59 AM
That about sums it up on the Hornady.
I have been using my ancient updated ProJector for years. The 5 stations are threaded and don't use the LNL bushings. That's OK because it only takes a minute or two to swap dies.

If you want extra luxuries, get some extra primer tubes and some bushings.

One thing to consider is that the Dillon is a 4 station and the Hornady is a 5. Doesn't matter if the extra station isn't used, but handy if you want to use a powder check or lock out die, or maybe a seperate crimping station.

joatmon
10-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks all, this is great advice! Thanks HEADOOO1 for reminding me about the birthday priceing, that rolls around in jan. and will be well worth the wait. LnL it will be ,hope the get loaded program runs next year. Think I'll get a 10 pack of extra bushings and some primer tubes also.

Thanks again all, Aaron

noylj
10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
The Dillon is, as stated, a 4 station.
The Dillon is NOT auto-indexing.
The bushings for the L-N-L are terrific. When Midway or someone else puts them on sale, buy a bunch.
No matter what progressive press you get, make sure it is mounted well. Solid bench top and, if possible, concrete floor.

Fixxah
10-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Can't go wrong with lnl. I spent some hands on time with a dillon 650 and bought an lnl after watching youtube vids. Get PTX die for powder setup as well, opens up another station. I reload 7 calibers and can change between them in a few minutes if using the same rotor for powder.