PDA

View Full Version : 22 conversion for 1911

Bullshop
10-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Anyone have any experiance with or first hand knowledge of an all steel 22 cal conversion unit for a 1911 Colt made by Peters Stahl of Germany?
It seems very well made. Value?

Bullshop
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
So no one has ever seen or heard of this conversion unit?
I fit it to a Springfield frame and loaded it with some CCI blasers and it shoots like a 41 Smith. I like it.

Bullshop
10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
This unit is serial # 221. Perhaps since no one has heard of them there were few made.

Shooter
10-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Never heard of that one. I have a Colt. I does great untill the floating chamber gets fouled, then you have some jams.
Does your's have the same set up?
The Germans make good stuff.

Bullshop
10-04-2010, 05:05 PM
No this one has a fixed barrel /chamber and only the rear of the slide retracts liks a 41 Smith.

Range Gypsy
10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
I am a 1911 newbie .... only had my vintage 1918 Colt for a month and already am thinking I would like to try one of these conversion kits. What brands /manufacturers would you recomend? What should a gal stay away from or look for in one of these? Any tips would be appreciated.

scrapcan
10-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Bullshop,

Have you looked over at 1911.org to see if there is any mention? I have seen this thing somewhere, but cannot seem to remember where. Maybe a stoegers catalog?

crabo
10-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Range Gypsy,

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?p=446103

if you google 1911 22 conversion kit you will pull up a lot of info.

Bullshop
10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
manleyjt

No Sir I have not and likely will not. What little time i have for the net is spent here.
Guess I dont realy need to know, I was just curious. I am quite satisfied with it. Its rather like a poor mans 41 Smith. I may have to hunt up a 45 upper now though.
Range Gypsy
At one time I had one of the Ceiner conversions and it worked well. At the time it was $200.00 and worth it but I dont know what they cost now. Being aluminum it was lighter weight than the one I now have.

Larry Gibson
10-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Never heard of that one. I have a Colt. I does great untill the floating chamber gets fouled, then you have some jams.
Does your's have the same set up?
The Germans make good stuff.

shooter

I've a Colt Ace Conversion also. I've played with several of them over the years and have had this one since '77. I liked it so much I picked up an alloy frame (RMT I think) many years back for $85 and just made the Ace into a pistol. It shoots very well. One thing I found with all of them was that plain lead bullets are the 'foulers". I've found the copper coated high speed 36 and 38 gr HPs along with the 40 gr solids don't foul the free float chamber. I don't remember the last time I took mine apart to clean it. I make some mean looking HPs swaging them and reshaping the HP to a wider mouth using a Paco Kelly AccuR'zr and a Waltz die. They feed well from the 3 mags I have and sure do thump small critters.

Larry Gibson

redneckdan
10-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey, didn't know you came back to the intarwebs. I knew you were off line for a while there. I have no experience with that particular unit but I can speak well of the marvel units. Highly reliable and very accurate.

softpoint
10-04-2010, 08:53 PM
I am a 1911 newbie .... only had my vintage 1918 Colt for a month and already am thinking I would like to try one of these conversion kits. What brands /manufacturers would you recomend? What should a gal stay away from or look for in one of these? Any tips would be appreciated.

I've used the Colt, a Ciener,advantage arms. The one to have,though is the Marvel. Some of those outshoot fairly accurate RIFLES at 50 yards. Even their "plain jane" version is amazingly accurate. The one Bullshop has sounds like it may be similar to the Marvel, but I've never seen the one he is describing.

HeavyMetal
10-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I believe the Peter Sthal conversion were done under lisence from Kart. These were all steel conversion and worked very much like a Smith 41.

Now the Kart design and the old Day 22 conversion are both being made by Marvel as the model I and II, I think. Very accurate but made of aluminum so the do not hold the slide open after the last round is fired like the original Sthal or Kart.

Google Marvel and it will come right up!

Range Gypsy:

Ciener's conversion work's well but the Kart clone made by Marvel is much much better for the difference in price I'd go for the Marvel.

Of course budget decides everything these days!

Bullshop
10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Good info thank you. So what is one of the Marvel units worth?

redneckdan
10-05-2010, 12:35 PM
They usually run about 400 new from midway.

Bullshop
10-06-2010, 07:04 PM
What one does Midway have Marvel or Ceiner?
Heavymetal
So are you saying that the Peter Stahl and the Marvel #1 are the same accept that the Marvel is aluminum and the Peter Stahl is steel? Mine does lock open on the last round and is steel.
Now as usual I will be opposite of most folks and try to find a 45 upper. Anybody got one for trade?

HeavyMetal
10-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Bullshop:
Yes the original Karts were steel and could not be told apart from the Stahl's except by the name on the slide!

Marvel's is a copy in aluminum.

Never ever sell this thing!! You will never find another for sale! In all honesty I have never seen one in the flesh for sale, never!

Seen a couple on the auction sites but usually as a complete gun that I can't import to Kalif.

Finding an upper won't be hard but be sure your lower is actually a 45 and not 9mm or 38 super.
GunParts may have an upper but be careful what you by lots of 1911 junk out there!

Bullshop
10-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Heavymetal
Thanks again for more good info. We bought this one last weekend at our gun show. It is a complete gun on a new Springfield frame. Since it is a new Springfield I am guessing it will take a 45 slide and barrel. We got the gun in total ignorance to what it is but just went on its appearance of quality. We paid $450.00 and now with your info I feel much better about that.

scrapcan
10-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Bullshop,

You did good on your purchase. I am sure saw it in an old stoegers catalog and an early gun digest.

I would have traded what ever I had in hand at the time to pick the gun up like you did. I had a friend that had a 1911 in 45 that was tricke dout and the slide was marked Stahl target 45. That thing was a shooter.

scrapcan
10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I knew I had seen this somewhere before. I finally found it in my files and the thread is still up at beartooth bullets forum. I found it while looking at info on a pachmyr dominator conversion and un related to the 22 conversion.

Your springfield might be one of their Omega series.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?p=446103

Bullshop
10-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Interesting stuff at that site, Thanks.
The one I got has no importers stamp so I can only wonder.
Yesterday I did a side by side test with a very early Ruger MK1 target. The Ruger is well tuned and even though it had a better trigger break than the Springfield lower the Peter Stahls did out shoot the Ruger. Both did well but the better average went to the PS conversion.

MtGun44
10-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I have a Marvel that is a REAL shooter. If yours is a well made version, it should be
a fine piece of equipment. Your testing verifies that. With the wonderful ergonomics of
the 1911, you have a truly wonderful plinker and small game pistol there.

Bill