PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Handloading Book

Ilwil
10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok, this has always puzzled me. Why does Lyman stipulate the use of linotype in ..38 as well as .357 and .44 mag. The book prescribes #2 alloy for virtually all their rifle and all other pistol loads. They have done this consistantly through their succeeding editions. It even calls for lino in light .36 wadcutter loads. Ideas, anyone?

HangFireW8
10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Ok, this has always puzzled me. Why does Lyman stipulate the use of linotype in ..38 as well as .357 and .44 mag. The book prescribes #2 alloy for virtually all their rifle and all other pistol loads. They have done this consistantly through their succeeding editions. It even calls for lino in light .36 wadcutter loads. Ideas, anyone?

If you are lucky to find the old NRA Cast Bullet Handbook book, you'll see that extensive testing in the 50's and 60's revealed that the most accurate cast boolits for the then widely popular 38 Special were Linotype. The timing of the publication coincided with the decommissioning of many Linotype and Linotype style printing presses, so it seemed to make good sense.

This level of accuracy is only attainable in a Ransom Rest, so feel to ignore this advice, save your Linotype as a small percentage alloying agent, and continue to use softer, more appropriate alloys for 38 Special.

-HF

Ilwil
10-04-2010, 01:03 AM
That makes sense, but it seems lazy for Lyman to not update their books. The current, 49th edition calls for lino in all .38 cast loads.

geargnasher
10-04-2010, 01:09 AM
While a very valuble resource, the Lyman manuals are pretty spotty on updates. Some data is ancient. As has been said, feel free to ignore the Linotype recommendation. I would say that, as with any reloading book, use the manual as a guide, not an absolute, and always use common sense to sort it out.

Gear

HangFireW8
10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
That makes sense, but it seems lazy for Lyman to not update their books. The current, 49th edition calls for lino in all .38 cast loads.

I agree, had the same reaction when I got mine, and the subject has been hashed out over and over on this forum.

Their promised complete re-write and update edition is due "any day now" and I am looking forward to it.

-HF

casterofboolits
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Yup, the linotype spec in the Lyman manuals was one of those things that made me go Hmmmmmm?

I always thought that Lyman moulds were regulated to be used with #2 alloy. One of my goals when using Lyman moulds was to adjust my alloy to throw a boolit weight that was specified for that mould. Per the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, third edition.

I.E., a 358477 was supposed to drop a 150 grain boolit with no.2 alloy. As long as My alloy dropped 150 grain plus/minus one grain I was happy. As I normally cast with at least two four cavity Lyman moulds, I would grind or mill the tops of the mould blocks to match weights. If I was casting large numbers of 358477's, I would add a four cavity 358311 38-158-RNPB regulated to drop 158 grain boolits from the same alloy.

I have cast a few of these boolits out of linotype to see what the results would be and the weight is about 10 to15 grains lighter than the specified weight for the mould.

redneckdan
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Midway's estimated date of availability is 15 October for the new casted boolit manual.

noylj
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
.38 Special Wadcutter: swaged HBWCs have been best in semi--autos and, of those, the Remington has been the best of the HBWCs.
For revolvers, HBWCs can leave the skirt in the barrel. Thus, many shoot cast wadcutters. In general, best accuracy is with a HARD bullet, that just fits the cylinder's throats and is ONLY lubed in the bottom groove.
Unless you are a Bullseye competitor who can realize the difference, use the alloy of your preference.