PDA

View Full Version : lil gun and primer strength

jblee10
10-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I ran into something that surprised me the other day. I loaded up some 44 magnum rounds with Saeco #431 bullets weighing 252 grains and .4305 diameter for my 7.5 inch Redhawk. I used 22 grains of Lil Gun and two types of primers. Federal 2 1/2 standard primers and CCI 350 magnum primers. The results are as follows

Fed 2 1/2 primer, AV 1401 fps, ES 67, SD 24

CCI 350 mag primer, AV 1336 fps, ES 76, SD 26

What surprised me is the lower velocity of the magnum primers. I would have guessed that the mag primers would have higher velocity. Granted, I didn't run very many shots over the chronograph but the difference was significant. Things might be different if I up the powder charge a little. Accuracy was good from both loads at about 5.5 inch at 100 yards.
My Redhawk is now set up with a Pachmayr Presentation grip and a Weigand mount with a Ultradot 30 red dot sight. The presentation grip really makes the gun comfortable to shoot and seems to have helped a lot with grip consistency. Love the ultradot!! Great for my aging eyes!
I plan to get another 44 cal mould without gascheck for this gun but already had the #431 on hand. Any suggestions out there from someone shooting a Redhawk? Thanks!

felix
10-03-2010, 12:52 PM
No, you need more boolit compression to counteract that nasty force from the primer. ... felix

Hickory
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Nice looking Golden Boolit Award you got there Felix!:grin:

EOD3
10-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure about the inverted velocity numbers :-| You would think (read I'm guessing) the magnum primers would accelerate the ignition characteristics, possibly changing the shape of the time/pressure curve moving higher pressure earlier in barrel-time. Maybe the increased pressure forces more gas through the cylinder gap. [smilie=w:

No, I can't put that into English without pictures... :bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
10-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Id have to agree with felix. I think your probably border line with your crimp strenght and case tension. One more thing ill add is lil gun is a funky powder that does all kinds of weird things. When pushing the limit with it it can actually loose speed with heavier loads. I dont use it in six guns anymore and i thought id burn up the keg i have left in the beowulf until last month when id did some experiementing with wc297 in it. If i shot 5 shots fast i could about light a cigerette off the barrel using lilgun and using 297 i could shoot 5 shots and put my hand on the barrel. Im afraid it will do do damage even to a rifle barrel like it reportably does to forcing cones on sixguns.

jwp475
10-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Id have to agree with felix. I think your probably border line with your crimp strenght and case tension. One more thing ill add is lil gun is a funky powder that does all kinds of weird things. When pushing the limit with it it can actually loose speed with heavier loads. I dont use it in six guns anymore and i thought id burn up the keg i have left in the beowulf until last month when id did some experiementing with wc297 in it. If i shot 5 shots fast i could about light a cigerette off the barrel using lilgun and using 297 i could shoot 5 shots and put my hand on the barrel. Im afraid it will do do damage even to a rifle barrel like it reportably does to forcing cones on sixguns.

I agree, why use Lilgun when W-296/H110 is available and easy to get

44man
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
No, you need more boolit compression to counteract that nasty force from the primer. ... felix
Yep, the mag primer is most likely pushing the boolit out a little before ignition.
I also think he meant REMINGTON 2-1/2 primers. :bigsmyl2:

BD
10-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm in the same camp as Lloyd. I used Lil'gun in the .450Bushmaster until I tried 297. The 297 shoots just as well, and it's much cooler. Lil'Gun does light easily. the .450B load is around 40 grains and it's lit with a standard small rifle primer.
BD

GBertolet
10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Often with certain powders, magnum pistol primers give less velocity and poorer uniformity. One example is Alliant 2400 powder. Recommendations are to use standard primers with this powder. Even the late Elmer Keith agreed.