PDA

View Full Version : The 416 project

BT Sniper
10-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Well guys this one has been a while in the making. Only in my mind though as it did not take actually a long time to accomplish. Spent the last three days worth of what little free time I had avialble polishing out a .410 die to get to .416. Let me just say this is no easy task. The risk of going to far is always possible so you go slow cleaning the die often and putting it all back to gether to find out you only removed .0005 then at it again. A bit frustrating after day one. Then day two I break out the emery cloth in 80 grit and before I know it .419. So one die down and one left brings an end to day two. Today was day three and I got it figured out. The die came out just where I needed it to be. Got my .416 swage die all polished out and making some very good looking bullets. To bad I don't own a big 416. Maybe in time but what a thumper it must be.

Well after the experience of poilishing/reaming my third swage die I can say the experience has not gotten any easier. It is a LOT of work. First die I had success with was the .451 up to .459, then the 451 up to .452 was pretty easy and now the .416. Goes to show it can be done I guess but I would not recamend this difficult chore to anyone.

The host .410 CH swage die only allows bullets in the .416 up to 300 grains max. Wish I could go heavier but the die is just not long enough. Some day should I make my own die I may just attempt this.

So here is some pics

From left to right

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/416project001.jpg
cast 230 grain wheel weight core, core sized down to .350, 300 grain .416 bullet, 40 S&W sized down to .400 for starting jacket, original 40 S&W brass case

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/416project002.jpg
185 grain 40 cal from 9mm, 300 grain .416 from 40 S&W and 255 grain 44 cal from 40 S&W

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/416project003-1.jpg
bullet shown at .416

These should make a heck of a bullet. I'll be sending some out for testing soon. Should be interesting to see what kind of results they get.

Good shooting,

Swage on!

BT

BT Sniper
10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Made a new nose punch for the .416. Gave it more of a spitzer look. The ridge of lead seen in the pic could easliy be removed with a quick touch of steel wool. We'shall see how they perform soon.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/416project005.jpg

Good shooting

BT

Jailer
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
BT what are you using to cast your cores?

luober
10-04-2010, 07:30 AM
to: bt sniper
the 416 bullets are beautiful, but i have two questions about their construction. how and what are you using to draw the 40 cal cases down to .400 to make these bullets? how are you getting a .416 bullet out of a 41cal point forming die? i thought that a .41cal die would put out a slug of .410 to .411 in size. how are you getting the extra .005"? was your die lapped to get the .416 size?
thanks
toolnon

elk hunter
10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Brian,

Good looking bullet, a trifle light for for a rifle bullet of that caliber.

("To bad I don't own a big 416. Maybe in time but what a thumper it must be.")

I agree.

Elk season starts in less than two weeks and I'm thinking I just might take the Rigby. I'm not sure if I'll use my home swaged bullets or not. I might load up the first shot with one and back it up with the Hornady 400 grain, I'm saving the Noslers for big bear.

frank505
10-04-2010, 04:57 PM
A use for the 40 short and weak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 416 Taylor that I do shot quite a bit, like I am into my third jug of powder burned in the 416. I would love to be a test dummy.

BT Sniper
10-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Elk hunter,

Good to hear from you! Yeah I was hoping for bullets of atleast 400 grains but the die just was not made with enough room, 300 was the max. Oh well, untill I start making my own dies I'll have to do with altering what is avialble.

I'm sure I have seen it before or read your posts on that bullet pictured but it sure looks good. 30-30 from the looks of it. I'll have to open a reloading book and look at the specks for size. Your one of the pioneers! Awesome work.

Had uncle Joe and couple of his friends over last week. Now I think it is my turn to make my way down and give all you guys a visit. Don't know when but I'll drop a line well in advance.

Good luck this year hunting. Some day I'll make some 338s like seppos (think that is his handel here) and be able to use my long range cannon with home mades. After taking the big elk last year with the 338 at the range he was, my custom 180 grain 5.7x308 just dose'nt seem like enough medicine for those big elk.

Do keep in touch and let us know if you get any thing.

Good hunting

BT

elk hunter
10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Brian,

Yes, the 400 grain .416 started off life as a 30-30 case. I trim the rim to .413 then anneal and push through a ring die. I use two cast .357 diameter wad cutter bullets for the core. Drop them in, heat the jacket till the lead goes liquid and slumps so there is no air trapped. Let them cool, clean them, then run them through a nose forming die. They shoot good enough for practice ahead of 95 to 98 grains of surplus 4831. I'm just a little concerned about how tough they would be, would they blow up or just push straight on through like a solid if used on elk.

Joe is one heck of a nice guy and full of good information. If you do get down this way be sure to let me know ahead of time, if I'm not off hunting or railroading, we could go bust a cap or two.