PDA

View Full Version : seating GC with Lee sizer question

hoosierlogger
10-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Will LLA on the boolit shank prevent the check from latching on properly when running it through a Lee sizer?

shotman
10-02-2010, 11:59 PM
no but why do it?? if you put the lube on and size the lube is not on the lands. set check size and then lub whole thing . If you heat the Lee lube it will dry

hoosierlogger
10-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Right I thought about that too, but I wasnt sure about pushing an un lubed through the lee sizer die. I have heard about leading the die, but never tried any without LLA on them first. Ill find a lubrisizer some day.

30CAL-TEXAN
10-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't know if you would lead the die but it is much more difficult to push them through without some sort of lube. I guess it really depends on how much you are sizing them down too.

I tumble mine, gas check them and run them back through while they are still wet, then tumble them again and let dry.

Have you noticed how sticky that stuff can be? I would think that having some between the gascheck and boolit might even serve as a glue.

hoosierlogger
10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Have you noticed how sticky that stuff can be? I would think that having some between the gascheck and boolit might even serve as a glue.
That is the exact same thought that was running through my pea sized brain. I guess I was looking for confirmation. LOL I wasnt sure if it would hold it in place better or aid in its coming loose.

mdi
10-05-2010, 12:42 PM
I only gas check my .44 boolits and they seem to stick well when I prelube before sizing/attaching check. They seem to be on pretty tight (won't come off with finger pressure). I use 45-45-10.

BFR454
10-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Right I thought about that too, but I wasnt sure about pushing an un lubed through the lee sizer die. I have heard about leading the die, but never tried any without LLA on them first. Ill find a lubrisizer some day.

A good fast way is not to lube the bullet, but to get a cotton bud (que tip for you in USA) with LLA on it and lube the inside of the die itself and repeat every 20 or so. This works for me, never had leading.

hoosierlogger
10-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Well gang I put on 100 GC's without lubing the boolits before I ran them through the sizer. It was a little harder to push the lever, but didnt lead up the die. The shot great too. The LLA with the gas check was enough to prevent any lead build up in the gun.

Boolseye
12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I use 45-45-10.
+1 on that. Check out the tumble lubing sticky on it.

I am gonna try BFR454's suggestion for lubing the die, not the bullets. Thanks.