PDA

View Full Version : Rebarrel Model 88 Winchester

Good Cheer
10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Know anybody with experience in rebarreling Model 88's?

excess650
10-03-2010, 08:05 AM
The simple answer is no, but they shouldn't be different than a bolt action if the lug recesses are in the action and not the barrel. The bolt lugs are of the rotary variety and cam operated via the lever. They are a PITA to disassemble and reassemble, and require using slave pins. The safety is reversible so as to be useable by leftys.

If your barrel is just has a bad bore, it might be worth looking into a rebore/rechamber.

Good Cheer
10-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Yep, rebore was my first thought too. Being a cast shooter, my first inclination is to create a cast rifle.
My bro got this one at too good a price for him to pass up. The barrel has a little pitting. So, he figures if it won't group to his satisfaction, he will rebarrel. I had asked him about the barrel wall thickness and it was relatively thin. Most rebore outfits place a limit on the min wall. So, any way, he's looking around for an outfit that has experience with 88's.

Char-Gar
10-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Again... a post without enough information for an intelligent reply. If you just want to know if anybody has rebarreled an 88 then the answer would be just yes or no. How much help it that?

1. There is no reason an 88 can't be rebarreled. It would be a straight forward job.

2. The factory barrels are quite light with a slim taper. Were I to rebarrel one, I would like some more weigh and stiffness in the tube.

3. Rebore is always an option, but it all depends on the caliber and the use. As I said, the factory barrels are pretty dog goned slim.

4. The Winny 88 is strong enough to be barreled to any caliber based on the parent .308 case. A 7mm/308 or 6.5/308 would make a cracker jack deer and antelope rifle.

6. While you are at it, restock the rifle with a straighter butt stock. The factory stock with all of that drop kicks like a mule.