PDA

View Full Version : Powder Dispencer Riser

kbstenberg
10-02-2010, 08:04 PM
I have been needing a tube to raise my powder dispenser above the other dies an today i made one. Cheap an easy.
I went to Ace HW an looked over there PVC scraps. It ended up that the schedule 40 in 1/2 inch was the correct size. The inside measured .536 which is larger than the male end on my powder dispenser, an just smaller than the top on my case activated die. I also had to put a splice between the 2 ends of the powder drop tube. They had an exact mach for OD an the ID was only off a little.
My first thought was to heat the pipe to increase one end to fit over the die, and decrease the other end to fit tight over my powder dispenser. The heat wouldn't let the pipe increase or decrease evenly. Back to the drawing board.
The second attempt was the charm. I figured i wanted a 4" riser, so i hacked off a 4.5" piece. I went to my band saw an made 6 evenly spaced saw cuts on both ends. On 1 end i only cut into the pipe about 1/2" which would go over my powder dispenser. On the other end i cut into the pipe about an 1" to an 1 1/4 which would fit over the die body.
I found 2 hose clams sitting in my ods an ends box. They are bigger than i need but they will do for now. I put 1 clamp on either end of the PVC an clamped them to the ends of the die an the powder disp..
The tricky part came when i had to cut the brass tubing to length. I started with a piece a little longer than i thought i needed then filed it to length. by using trial an error by fitting it all together an seeing how everything went together. For my trial an error test i used electrical tape to hold the pipe extension in place. But when i make my final installation i will use heat shrink tubing to connect all the ends of the powder drop tubes so everything stays in alignment.
So far everything is jurrie rigged together but as soon as i get the camera back from the wife an i get everything in order for final assembly i will post pictures.
My initial purchase of PVC 50cents, hollow brass tube 2.79. I still have to add 2 small hose clamps an 2 pieces of heat shrink tubing, so maybe add another 1.50. I hope i have planted a seed so someone else can improve on my riser an make it better
Keep that silver stream flowing Kevin

GP100man
10-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Need is the mother of Inginuity (or is it Enginuity ??)