PDA

View Full Version : Cross country move

EOD3
10-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Guys, Come spring we'll be packing up and heading to southern Indiana. My problem is figuring out a reasonable way to move two safes full+ of guns. I'm planning a four day drive and schlepping them into and out of a hotel room every night is not something I'm looking forward to. Anybody have experience moving large quantities of toys a couple thousand miles?

Trey45
10-02-2010, 03:41 PM
The safes go in the moving van, truck, trailer first, and get strapped to the forward wall, everything gets packed in around it. A would be thief would have to unload the entire truck to get to the safes. By that time, someone surely would have noticed what was going on.

Gunaria
10-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I just did this same thing just over a month ago. From SoCal all the way to West Lafayette, IN. But I had 3 safes and a dog. :mrgreen: You are going to have to get some type of enclosed trailer or moving van. You don't want to be sheelping them in the back of a pick up truck the whole way. What I did is pack all the guns in cases or socks and alternated them in the safes. Ex. buttstock up, next one muzzle side up then buttstock up and so forth.

Also if your traveling with pets, Motel 6 is the way to go. Rates are decent and they are all pet friendly.

This is how I rolled all the way here.

http://i56.tinypic.com/313hd8z.jpg

Your going to love it out here.

http://i51.tinypic.com/52z04z.jpg

Mk42gunner
10-02-2010, 05:54 PM
I put what I could in hard cases, then wrapped everything else in blankets so they couldn't move. Once the container was in the enclosed trailer I packed everything else around it and put a Best brand lock on the trailer.

Robert

home in oz
10-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Yep, secured out of sight in the front of the uhaul truck is the way to go.

BarryinIN
10-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't have any more advice, but: Welcome!

We not only have carry permits, but lifetime carry permits. You might be interested in that when you get here.

DIRT Farmer
10-02-2010, 09:55 PM
What general part of Southern Indiana, Might be able to help unload. Welcome.

EOD3
10-03-2010, 06:18 PM
We haven't found a house yet but we're looking in and around Linton. :-P

No_1
10-03-2010, 06:31 PM
He just wants to see your lead stash :kidding:

R.

What general part of Southern Indiana, Might be able to help unload. Welcome.

EOD3
10-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Could be but I'm not bringing a lot of (unformed) lead with me. As I understand it, hunting rifles are limited to pistol calibers, what do you guys use your "big boomers" for? :Fire:

eveready
10-03-2010, 08:55 PM
You may want to disable your vehicle overnight, remove battery or pull distributer cap etc. Keep the whole vehicle from being stolen.

DIRT Farmer
10-03-2010, 09:07 PM
A few guys tried to get the state to allow the low powered black powder rifle cartridges for deer hunting but one of the head DNR guys shoots LRBPCR so we got stuck shooting stright walled no longer than 1.6 inches. Just so happens a 45-70 case cut to 1.6 will still hold around 60-65 grns of powder. Still works.
Every so often I get all the way North to Linten, of course we think every thing North of I-64 as Northern Indiana. You will be about 150-160 miles from Friendship , where all of the rifle and pistol matches are for cast or swaged bullits.
Should be some good deer and waterfoul hunting.

DIRT Farmer
10-03-2010, 09:09 PM
As for my lead stach, think I down to a few 5 gal buckets of smelted and 2 of WW. I might spare a few to a starving immagerant.

EOD3
10-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks DIRT_Farmer, all contributions gratefully accepted. :-D

I'll be sitting on the back porch waiting for deer to wander by but, I've never been a big fan of sitting in a wet blind at the crack of dawn with my hands frozen to a shotgun... [smilie=6:

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-03-2010, 09:50 PM
As I understand it, hunting rifles are limited to pistol calibers, what do you guys use your "big boomers" for? :Fire:

They save those for the greatly feared paper targets!

EOD3
10-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Those paper critters are pretty tough but I think a 45/70/405 will get it done. :wink:

Maybe I should thin the herd a bit before I head out.

parson48
10-04-2010, 06:06 PM
There are caliber limitations for deer hunting, but some pretty interesting wildcats have emerged. Cartridges have a length limit and caliber minimum, but they do no have to be straight walled.

http://bfgcartridges.com/

You can find some info at this site.

Welcome to Indiana.

BarryinIN
10-04-2010, 08:26 PM
As I understand it, hunting rifles are limited to pistol calibers, what do you guys use your "big boomers" for? :Fire:

They're used for playing.
If a 375 H&H or 460 Weatherby hits the used gun rack in the gun shop, everybody wants to see it and it will sell within a couple of days.
I can't explain it (says me, the guy with a 375 H&H, a couple of 45-70s, and having owned several rifles above .30 caliber).

Actually, to be picky I guess, only deer hunting is limited to pistol caliber. You can shoot coyotes and groundhogs and such with whatever you can carry. I've used a 1903A3 for coyotes before myself. When the snow was flying I wanted iron sights, and the 03 was handy.

BTW, it almost seems funny to see the phrase "limited to pistol calibers" in rifles because some of us never thought we'd see the day we'd be allowed to use even that. I assumed I'd go to my grave knowing it was nothing but slugs or muzzleloaders. I'm still getting over the shock of them giving the OK to handguns, and that was 25 years ago.

DIRT Farmer
10-04-2010, 08:44 PM
I can't rembember any mornings cold and wet with my hands frozen to a shotgun, but I do rembember a lot of days where we ran out of coffee and snacks before noon and quit. Heck some days we even shot at ducks. I have never understood why people think guns are required for duck hunting. Required; good friends, food, and coffee. any thing else are just bling to draw attention. Even though I do it sitting in a tree by my self with the wind blowing cold and no thermos is not my favorite way to spend a day. I have the utility poles and roof metal anda recliner now all I need is the wood and puild my idea of a deer stand 10x12 about 15 feet off the ground, with a stove.

Dark Helmet
10-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Another trick you might can use is to back your truck/trailer up a wall or another vehicle so as to block the door from being opened until the vehicle is moved.

AZ-Stew
10-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Another trick you might can use is to back your truck/trailer up a wall or another vehicle so as to block the door from being opened until the vehicle is moved.

And make sure you use a padlock on your trailer hitch instead of just a pin and otter clip.

Regards,

Stew

EOD3
10-05-2010, 02:20 AM
And make sure you use a padlock on your trailer hitch instead of just a pin and otter clip.

Regards,

Stew

Roger that Stew. Been living in these ($&@^%&) cities too long. If you plan to keep your hitch, wheels, whatever, you WILL have a good lock on it. I grew up in the "real" Northern California and we (I swear) did not have locks on the doors at our house until I was 16+ and that was only to keep my dirtbag brother from "borrowing" anything he could trade for beer.

Can't wait to get back to NormalVille, USA. :-D

EOD3
10-05-2010, 02:28 AM
I can't rembember any mornings cold and wet with my hands frozen to a shotgun, but I do rembember a lot of days where we ran out of coffee and snacks before noon and quit. Heck some days we even shot at ducks. I have never understood why people think guns are required for duck hunting. Required; good friends, food, and coffee. any thing else are just bling to draw attention. Even though I do it sitting in a tree by my self with the wind blowing cold and no thermos is not my favorite way to spend a day. I have the utility poles and roof metal anda recliner now all I need is the wood and puild my idea of a deer stand 10x12 about 15 feet off the ground, with a stove.

Sounds like a night of cat-fishing down below the spillway. A really GOOD excuse to bend an elbow or two and exchange war stories. :grin:

crabo
10-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Something like this? My BIL's in North Dakota

AZ-Stew
10-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Every so often I get all the way North to Linten, of course we think every thing North of I-64 as Northern Indiana.

Funny... I grew up in Marion in the 50s and 60s, and we used to consider anything south of Indianapolis to be Kentucky. :kidding:

Regards,

Stew

DIRT Farmer
10-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Well I have ask ag questions from Purdue staff and been refured to UK, so the south of Indy thing has been around a while. We hear from Indy when tax time rolls around then they stay away. Greatly improves this neighborhood.
Crabo, it would look good if it had a stove pipe, I can put some boat gas in a bucket with sand duck hunting but a wood fire crackling is what I want for deer hunting. I may be an old flint shooter but I don't plan on camping out in the snow with a single blanket in a hollow tree.
EOD3 I have spent many a summer night sitting just far enough off shore on the Ohio to beat the sketters. A cold adult beverage and a half pound skipjack are a good way to spend time. Not all of my lead gets shot, some soaks.

82nd airborne
10-05-2010, 10:02 PM
EOD, word on the street is there is going to be a group buy including the .358 Boolit Slinger or some other boolit related name that it would be dubbed. I beleive that would be legal, as would the upper in .45NUT. (Name not yet approved by the nut, awaiting his two cents..)

EOD3
10-06-2010, 02:18 PM
What's the average on the hoof weight in the (nearly) southern end of Indiana. Should I pick up an Encore pistol barrel in 45/70? :shock: I was thinking I could get by with a long-barreled Marlin Cowboy in 357 or 45LC. I guess I could field a 44Mag if they're the Sabre-Tooth variety... [smilie=l:

DIRT Farmer
10-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Some deer might go over 200 live weight, the problem some of them are computer literate and read the news, that explains them wearing kevlar. Just put one of those purdy red plastic tips on your cast and they will punch through. All of the deer that I have gotten in the last twenty years havefallen to a 495 patched round ball cast from pure lead propeled by 60 geains of ffg. I try for the illiterate ones.

EOD3
10-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Some deer might go over 200 live weight, the problem some of them are computer literate and read the news, that explains them wearing kevlar. Just put one of those purdy red plastic tips on your cast and they will punch through. All of the deer that I have gotten in the last twenty years havefallen to a 495 patched round ball cast from pure lead propeled by 60 geains of ffg. I try for the illiterate ones.

Using 60 grains in a 50 cal. front-stuffer, they'd have to be illiterate. How long did it take to talk them into believing the ball bouncing off was fatal? :bigsmyl2:

I was a little disappointing when I read that exploding arrows aren't allowed. :grin:

DIRT Farmer
10-07-2010, 06:33 AM
I was schooled by old timers that dident belive in wasting anything, powder, ball or shot. It breaks my heart to just shoot where I can't recover my lead. As for the deer you have to look for the gaps in their armor to kill them with the loads I use.

EOD3
10-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Lay down on your back and cover yourself with leaves, then sprinkle acorns on your chest and wait them out. There's always a gap on the underside between the front shoulders. A real hero takes them down with a K-Bar :redneck:

82nd airborne
10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
K-bars are for wussies, so is wearing any cover at all. I generally hunt two ways. Naked with a karate chop, or naked with a spin kick. Just sayin.....

DIRT Farmer
10-07-2010, 09:34 PM
You know I did a lot of things that sounded good when I was younger, like finishing off a buck with a USMC K-bar, A bit of advice, don't. I did manage to get older, hopefully wiser, I reload now.
Having shot stright up at a buck (long story requiring liberal applications of beer) It is better to shoot them sidways or shoot down, well unless you use the the old tip I read in an outdoor magazine about making a "V board" for a portable tree stand. Bad idea but I got older.
I was told of the old Indian trick of covering your self with mud then putting leaves and geass on the mud then slapping a deer. Bad idea but I got older, sooo do you want to tempt fate or just lean aginst a tree with your thermous of coffee?

EOD3
10-08-2010, 01:08 AM
K-bars are for wussies, so is wearing any cover at all. I generally hunt two ways. Naked with a karate chop, or naked with a spin kick. Just sayin.....

Yeah, easy for you younger kids...

The last time I was seen outside without the benefit of adequate clothing, they started talking about the abominable snowman. The sun glistens off the white fur, I guess.

You know, given your screen name I would have expected you to dive on them from a tree stand. :bigsmyl2:

EOD3
10-08-2010, 01:27 AM
You know I did a lot of things that sounded good when I was younger, like finishing off a buck with a USMC K-bar, A bit of advice, don't. I did manage to get older, hopefully wiser, I reload now.
Having shot stright up at a buck (long story requiring liberal applications of beer) It is better to shoot them sidways or shoot down, well unless you use the the old tip I read in an outdoor magazine about making a "V board" for a portable tree stand. Bad idea but I got older.
I was told of the old Indian trick of covering your self with mud then putting leaves and geass on the mud then slapping a deer. Bad idea but I got older, sooo do you want to tempt fate or just lean aginst a tree with your thermous of coffee?

I did a good many things when I was younger that I have (thankfully) managed to keep secret from my sons. My youngest (31 now) was almost as reckless as I was as a kid. I outgrew my reckless stage and settled down in LE and then bomb disposal then I was a test engineer in an experimental rocket motor development outfit... On second thought, I may have to rethink the "grown up" thing. :bigsmyl2:

Coffee and the smell of burning surfer sounds good to me.

82nd airborne
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah, easy for you younger kids...

The last time I was seen outside without the benefit of adequate clothing, they started talking about the abominable snowman. The sun glistens off the white fur, I guess.

You know, given your screen name I would have expected you to dive on them from a tree stand. :bigsmyl2:

Cant jump out of trees anymore, busted both knees during a routine parachute failure. Guess I'm not that tough, oh well.

August
10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Might be a good time to get around to that gun-rider insurance you've promised yourself you'd take care of for the past five years....

jsizemore
10-08-2010, 07:54 PM

How can you hunt from the truck if your blocked in? Must be real good friends and coffee.

EOD3
10-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Cant jump out of trees anymore, busted both knees during a routine parachute failure. Guess I'm not that tough, oh well.

Remind me to tell you the war story about my back. Hint: It involves a Huey, a rope, and the top of a building. :eek:

DIRT Farmer
10-10-2010, 08:32 PM
With one son joining as a USA Combat Engenieer and another as air assualt, why do our kids do the same thing we did and scare the foo out of their parents

82nd airborne
10-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Remind me to tell you the war story about my back. Hint: It involves a Huey, a rope, and the top of a building. :eek:

Hey wasn't I supposed to remind you of something?

Just Duke
11-06-2010, 06:43 AM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/movers/north_american.htm

82nd airborne
11-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Duke never sleeps.

shootingbuff
11-06-2010, 09:31 AM
A bunch of good ideas have been mentioned and I have used them all.

One that has not been mentioned though is safety, If using a moving van as mentioned load your safes to the front. Though if using a trailer make sure your load is balanced which usually means putting your hvy gear over the axles. This wont keep you from having an accident, but will help. As we know if you get into an accident there may be injuries and you may lose some items read stolen or smashed. Plus just having to arrange for alternate transportation is going to be a pain. Also if your load is unbalanced you wont be able to travel as fast as you could have and long trips are long enough without extending them.

Additionally put locks on your safety chains as well. If you can and are using a trailer, a trailer brake can come in handy as well.

I scrounged as much bubble rap etc as I could to pad in-between firearms and then packed blankets in to fill the void. Nothing moved thank goodness.

My reloading bench came with me. It went with the movers though stripped of course. Man did they hate moving it. Ugly, but it would support a tank! Plus I have built a pistol rack.safe into it - read out of sight out of mind and frees up space in my gun safe.

waksupi
11-06-2010, 12:10 PM
We have seen a problem in this area with people moving in. They have brought along brown recluse spiders, cockroaches, and now bed bugs.
When you have your moving van loaded, before closing the door for the trip, open a can of bug bomb and put inside. Others don't need your vermin!

82nd airborne
11-06-2010, 03:09 PM
And kill all my pets!? I don't think so! I love my seed ticks and Ill spread em over the world...
All kidding aside, would you rather have someone bring thier inlaws waksupi?

waksupi
11-06-2010, 04:02 PM
And kill all my pets!? I don't think so! I love my seed ticks and Ill spread em over the world...
All kidding aside, would you rather have someone bring thier inlaws waksupi?

The inlaws wouldn't be MY problem! :lol:

shootingbuff
11-06-2010, 09:31 PM
We have seen a problem in this area with people moving in. They have brought along brown recluse spiders, cockroaches, and now bed bugs.
When you have your moving van loaded, before closing the door for the trip, open a can of bug bomb and put inside. Others don't need your vermin!

Actually you need to check, spray, fog the trailer /van before using it so you don't have the critters from the last person.

Understand your concern, but sometimes the critters are in the packing material/ etc, van etc. Some one who does not keep a clean near pest free home isn't going to care anyway. Those who do are still bound to transport something so the fog bomb is a good idea. However, I would do it for my peace of mind.

EOD3
11-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Hey wasn't I supposed to remind you of something?

Now that you mention it, seams I remember something about a war story... :bigsmyl2:

It's a pretty long story so I'll type it up offline to save aggravation.

Which version would you like to hear, the "No sheet, I was there!", the "Once upon a time", or the redacted secret-squirrel version?

82nd airborne
11-07-2010, 09:05 AM
#3 please.
"There I was, knee deep in hand grenade pins, and then........"

EOD3
11-08-2010, 05:15 AM
Once upon a time in a land far far away...

[MISSION_IMPOSSIBLE_MUSIC]

In a little known organization consisting of less than 700 personnel world-wide, small cells consisting of 7 to 15 personnel were pre-positioned in various states and/or communities based on population distribution and density. Within some of those cells, there were specially trained and equipped personnel which were deployed on covert missions anywhere in the United States. :idea:

[MORE_MUSIC]

On or about yyyymmddhhhh Zulu, while conducting a covert training exercise consisting of heli-born mission insertion operations in an urban environment, an inexperienced (read wobbly-one) helicopter pilot committed a grievous error. Said pilot being GREATLY afraid of hovering above a multistory building with several large antenna and other equipment blocking any possible landing and potentially entangling his helicopter, was reluctant to perform the mission. As a result, he was unprepared when two men kicked off each skid to rappel onto the roof of the building. As roughly 800+ pounds dropped away from the helicopter, the pilot was unable to maintain altitude and the helicopter rose approximately 15 feet. Extra rope was not included in the exercise. If we had been "inching" our way down, all would have been fine. Provided the idiot didn't crash the chopper on us or drag us off the building. :holysheep

[MORE_MUSIC/]

As usual, if you or any member of your team is killed or gets drunk and arrested by the local authorities, the REMF-ers will pretend they never heard of you...

[MISSION_IMPOSSIBLE_MUSIC/]

Thus ends the tale of "fall down go boom". :( :violin:

82nd airborne
11-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Uncomfortable to say the least.
I once gunghoishly lept from a c-130 to find that my risers were twisted enought that my chute would not open to full dia. Niether one of my knees faired well.

EOD3
11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Now, this is just my opinion BUT, In my experience GRAVITY works EVERY TIME.

At least I had very little time to contemplate my predicament, you got to think about it for several hours.

Gunaria
11-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Dang it was warm out here in Indiana today, around 77 degrees.

82nd airborne
11-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Now, this is just my opinion BUT, In my experience GRAVITY works EVERY TIME.

At least I had very little time to contemplate my predicament, you got to think about it for several hours.

It did the few times I tested it.

nicholst55
11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
You may want to disable your vehicle overnight, remove battery or pull distributor cap etc. Keep the whole vehicle from being stolen.

An excellent suggestion! Thieves have been known to steal the entire truck/trailer, and loot it at their leisure.

DIRT Farmer
11-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I got to scrape up the mess at the bottom a few times, no reason to leave a good aircraft.

82nd airborne
11-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I got to scrape up the mess at the bottom a few times, no reason to leave a good aircraft.

I hear that phrase alot, and I usually tell the person who said it that they have never been kicked in the back by a JM!

DIRT Farmer
11-11-2010, 10:56 PM
I have also heard flying in a C-130 will convince anyone to jump.

a.squibload
11-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Additionally put locks on your safety chains as well.

Thought I was the only one who did that.
When trailering the Jeep I don't want the safety chain to walk off while we are in eating, etc.

This thread is great, let me know when the movie comes out!

82nd airborne
11-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Yeah, how they fit 62 people in one with all their kit, I will never know, but I would have jumped out without the chute after being crammed in there for 6 hours with my rucksack frame digging into my crotch.

EOD3
11-12-2010, 04:46 AM

There is NOTHING pleasant about a nice long ride in a C130. Ear-plugs only help until the vibration starts soaking into your bones. The jump seats are just wonderful too.

DIRT Farmer
11-12-2010, 08:31 AM
My Dad told stories about his one trip in a C47 over the Alps during a thunder storm, The next to last time he flew. The next time wouldnt have happened but he had to get back to his unit. Think the Military planes are selected to facilitate jumping?

82nd airborne
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I think they make them uncomfortable enought that you want to jump when the door opens.

EOD3
11-12-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm sure you've heard the old saying about never jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. What they fail to mention is that there is no such thing as a perfectly good jump plane.

shootingbuff
11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Thought I was the only one who did that.
When trailering the Jeep I don't want the safety chain to walk off while we are in eating, etc.

This thread is great, let me know when the movie comes out!

HEE Hee that was funny.

It is just one more thing someone trying to snag the trailer has to contend with and the more time it would take to steal the trailer the less likely it is for someone to do it.

late,

Gunaria
11-13-2010, 10:58 AM
There's so many auctions out here in Indiana it's making my head spin. :)

The gun auctions are another story though here. Stuff goes for more than retail out here. :(

a.squibload
11-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I was thinking of the chain in the back that keeps the Jeep from jumping forward in case I hit anything,
from trailer to rear axle of Jeep.
Not that I run into stuff a lot but if I put a safety chain back there it looks like I know what I'm doing.
Locking the trailer safety chain is a good idea, my hitch lock could probably be broken with one hammer blow.
I also use a crossbolt type lock instead of a pin for the ball mount.
I also list a little to the right from the weight of all the keys...

Gunaria
12-06-2010, 07:52 PM
EOD here's some more important tips; take it from someone that just went thru all this. Before you leave Cali, make sure you have your birth certificate or passport. Also a social security card or W2. You will need these docs to get your hoosier drivers license. Remember to bring the titles for any vehicles you bring. You will need those to get a Indiana title & plates.

EOD3
12-08-2010, 01:01 AM
I've got one of the "accordion" folders in the safe with all the pieces and parts. My #1 priority will be to get the Kalifornia plates off the car before anyone sees them. :idea:

Superfly
12-09-2010, 01:08 AM
EOD3 did you make it there yet?????

EOD3
12-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Not yet, too much snow twixt here and there :) The Mrs and I are planning a house-hunting trip in early February and a move in March.

JIMinPHX
12-10-2010, 02:31 AM
The biggest thing that I worry about when pulling a trailer is getting the brakes set correctly, especially if I might be running into snow or slippery roads along the way. A jackknife will ruin your whole disposition pretty quickly, not to mention your cargo.

I've got a story from about 7 years ago that involved traffic backing up behind me for about 3 miles on a snow covered Rt 40 that ended with a bunch of people flipping me the bird as they passed me & then me seeing 3 or 4 of the guys that passed me flipped over in the median. It was ugly. A lot of previously pretty metal was twisted up bad.