PDA

View Full Version : Good day at the auction- sad day at auction

Charlie Two Tracks
10-02-2010, 02:11 PM
I just got back from an estate auction in a very small town in the middle of nowhere. I picked up a Ultra-Vibe 10 vibrator and an RCBS uniflow powder measure with stand for $54.50 for both. They are dusty but that's it. An RCBS press went for $45.00 but I only bid it to $40.00 and let a young guy with a look of anticipation on his face, get it. The sad part was that it was an estate of a very elderly gentleman who used to hunt and reload. All the reloaded rounds were very old and dirty as was the reloading equipment. I guess he just got too old to take care of it anymore. Very few there knew anything about reloading equipment and the guys that did showed restraint in their biding against the few young guys there. That was kind of nice to see. Almost all of the stuff went for 1/2 to 1/3rd of the price it should have.

smokemjoe
10-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Its nice to hear some younger people are interested in the reloading gear.

noylj
10-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Of course, that meant the old man didn't get the return he hoped to get.

David2011
10-02-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm glad to hear that reloaders and shooters got to the stuff instead of a fleabay profiteer who could care less what it is as long as they get top dollar! I'm not the least bit opposed to capitalism, trust, me. It's just that it seems almost everything for reloading on fleabay is from an estate sale. I hope to arrange that my stuff will be sold to people who will use it.

David

jcwit
10-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Of course, that meant the old man didn't get the return he hoped to get.

OP states it was an estate auction meaning the old fellow was probably gone.

Good to hear about the young folks being interested.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-02-2010, 08:56 PM
The old man had died this spring. He must have been some hunter in his time what with all the pictures, mounts and equipment.

home in oz
10-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Nice ending to this estate auction story.

Hardcast416taylor
10-03-2010, 05:25 PM
I find it harder to do each time I lose a friend. That is to settle the estate of hunting/reloading "stuff". The worst was for a friend that had not yet passed. The reason being was he wished I do it so his Mrs. got some value money out of his stuff and not his "sticky fingered" kids and relatives that had no appreciation of what he had other than a few bucks worth after they conned the widow out of the things.Robert