PDA

View Full Version : Lee Cruise Missle Gas Checks

dabsond
10-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Need a little advise. I am in the process of trying to work a load for my Carcano. I have tried shooting the PRVI 6.5 Carcano without luck. These run .264 and give no accuracy what so ever. I then picked up some of the Hornady .268 bullets and tried a variety of loads. All had signs of over pressure including extraction problems. A while back I received my Lee Cruise Missile mold from Midsouth that was on back order close to a year. This mold with my alloy drops around .271. I have seen both 6.5 and .270 gas checks are available. What check fits this bullet better, the .270 or 6.5. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hardcast416taylor
10-02-2010, 12:43 PM
The 6.5 check is the correct one to use. I believe you are going in the wrong direction for correct diameter 6.5 bullets in your Carcano. I would advise you to slug your bore before trying any further jacketed bullets thru it. Difficult extraction is a sure sign of dangerous chamber pressures that may be caused by using incorrect diameter bullet ammunition.Robert

geargnasher
10-02-2010, 01:19 PM
The Hornady 6.5mm check will crimp on and stay put on the current production Cruise Missile shank up to about .270" or so. Depending on your groove diameter, you might need to size even smaller.

270 checks are about .285" before crimping, way too big and won't stay on the boolit.

Gear

dabsond
10-02-2010, 03:10 PM
The barrel slugs at .268 consistantly. I tried a variety of loads received off another board. All showed signs of high pressure. I prefer to shoot cast anyways. Hopefully I can get her to settle down.