PDA

View Full Version : Two good Lee molds, what's up?

HangFireW8
10-02-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't know what to say. After sending a Lee 230gr Tumble Lube 6-banger back for the second time, daft me ordered two new molds of the same brand, a 22 Bator and a C312-185-1R from MidSouth (of course). I just got them this week and tried them tonight.

Minimal prep, and what do you know, they both work great... bullets drop right out... band dimensions slightly oversize, .227" and .314"... bore rider on the C312 is exactly .300". Hornady gas checks just slip on with fingers but grab on tight after putting through a .310" sizer. Wow. This is the way casting is supposed to work.

I'll have to find something else to complain about now.

-HF
PS Yes I have a rifle with a .310/.300 bore.

missionary5155
10-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Good morning
You get good ones (mostly for me) and you might get a clunker...
My dad used to haul cars from Detroit to Chicago area.. he was always saying never buy a Monday made car.

fryboy
10-02-2010, 07:28 AM
ummm u got lucky ? ( and they weren't made on a monday lolz ) and the stars lined up right ( u should of bought a lottery ticket that day !!! ) :kidding:

i do know that the more molds u buy from the same maker the more one increases their odds of getting that one in a million mold and/or that total ********* ( which sounds like u had just had ...)

rintinglen
10-02-2010, 01:07 PM
ummm u got lucky ? ( and they weren't made on a monday lolz ) and the stars lined up right ( u should of bought a lottery ticket that day !!! ) :kidding:

i do know that the more molds u buy from the same maker the more one increases their odds of getting that one in a million mold and/or that total ********* ( which sounds like u had just had ...)

or maybe finally getting one that works well...I aint the biggest fan o' Lee molds.
Six at a swipe sounds good until half of them end up back in the pot:roll:

sargenv
10-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I have a 6 banger in 9mm 125RN-2R that throws great bullets just about every time. Didn't have to do any prep or anything, just a little bit of bull plate, warm up the mold, and away we go :) No prep other than a lil bull plate..

HangFireW8
10-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Well gents I am now 3 for 3. Lee turned around the replacement for the 45 tumble lube mold in 7 days, I got it today and gave it a try. This time, no fins, no crooked seam, just lots of good boolits, all fell out real easy.

I can tell from my results it really needs a tin rich mixture, the early ones turned out great and the later ones good to so-so, because I slacked on the tin in the mix as I refreshed the pot. No problemo as I have more solder than WW.

-HF

HangFireW8
10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I have a 6 banger in 9mm 125RN-2R that throws great bullets just about every time. Didn't have to do any prep or anything, just a little bit of bull plate, warm up the mold, and away we go :) No prep other than a lil bull plate..

I would expect a single lube groove boolit of moderate size to be a lot more successful than a big Tumble Lube micro-groove.

I have had zero trouble with my Lee 44/310 6-banger mold. I just don't use it that much because one session can feed a 444 for a long, long time!

-HF

sourceofuncertainty
10-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I just started a thread on my similar experiences with getting two good Lee moulds in a row. It seems there may be more to this than just luck. I think I'm not alone in hoping that Lee has addressed their mould QC and is now producing them the way they ought to. Sure hope so!